Searching for Sugar Man

Discuss movies (including free films)
Octopus

Re: Searching for Sugar Man

#41 Post by Octopus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:00 pm

stuartboy wrote:[spoiler]Me too. I'm thinking that by virtue of all these spoilers it won't be difficult to guess the reason for them for anyone not yet seen the film. I myself saw on IMDB that he was credited with a part in the film so I was actually shocked initially to discover when watching (or so I thought) that he was dead. Then of course everyone in the film refers to him constantly in past tense - even his family - until the big reveal. This was expertly done.
Another thought is going to be when the film is released. Surely he is going to be featuring on chat-shows and interviews? Not gonna be much of a secret anymore. Lol.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]He seems really down to earth and humble, I hope he'll stay this way despite tv shows and gigs.[/spoiler]

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

#42 Post by kevinknapman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 pm

Unlike many who saw this earlier today I was already vaguely familiar with the music of Rodriguez. Last year, the band Midlake got involved with the 'Late Night Tales' series of CD's. Basically a band-curated 'mixtape', one of the songs they chose was Crucify Your Mind by Sixto Rodriguez. I loved the track and decided to make a note of the name to explore further. Flash-forward to earlier this year and I finally downloaded Cold Fact (still bizarrely unavailable to download on many UK sites like Amazon and Play.com with the exception of iTunes, unlike his 2nd album Coming From Reality which can be found on most of them). So when I heard about this film a couple of months ago it went straight to the top of my must see list. Though I knew the music, I knew nothing about the man himself so was interested to learn more.

So I basically loved this documentary. Such a pleasure to see such a beautifully crafted film (especially after the rather disappointing filmmaking of Salute). Well directed and edited it told a fascinating and compelling story, with an impressive mix of talking heads, archive footage and animation.
The 'story' was intriguing and was full of an almost unbelievable amount of twists and turns. Like Catfish it's a doc that works better the less you know, though I expect that will change of the next couple of weeks prior to it's release.
Unsurprisingly the soundtrack was excellent and will hopefully lead to the music getting the recognition it deserves.
An uplifting, fascinating and ultimately moving documentary that is a definite must-see.

Interestingly those who say they'd never heard of him, have probably heard his music before without even realising it. Crucify Your Mind featured prominently on the soundtrack of last year's Little White Lies.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

Jayman
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#43 Post by Jayman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Pity I don't do morning previews as this sounds really interesting. I am South African by birth having lived there for 30 years of my life but I can't honestly say I've ever heard of Rodriguez. The popularity of this artist must be well before my time.

Looking forward to seeing this when it's officially released. :)
Last edited by Jayman on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

JMP
Phase IV
Phase IV

#44 Post by JMP » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:22 pm

For those wanting to give feedback, I got this from SFF:

We are sorry to ask again, but the film makers are really keen to get your feedback on the preview today. We would really appreciate you taking a moment to give us your thoughts in this short survey:

https://www.research.net/s/F2JQPRB

Thank you
Showfilmfirst Team

midian
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: lea valley, enfield, any in greenwich, west india quay

#45 Post by midian » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 am

just want to add my voice to the praise for this film. saw it in stratford but it was easily much less than 50% full. had a lump in my throat for most of the second half and had to stop myself blubbering at many points. really very moving and inspirational.

i was intrigued from the beginning and kept wondering why hadn't there been more fuss about a musician who committed suicide on stage.

[spoiler]i feel very fortunate to have watched this on a preview before this hits the wider media and i get to find out that he is alive![/spoiler]

afterwards my friend and i went to lunch and we just spouted superlatives about this.

i will be b*ying the music. but i think many of my friends will also be getting the dvd of this for xmas.

cinefila1 wrote:This is a real gem of a documentary. The story is brilliantly told, thoroughly engaging and despite all, not without humour. It does make you wonder about man and his destiny. It's 10/10 for me.
and my goodness how fortunate is celini for seeing this at the south bank! thank you so much for posting the clip.
[spoiler]next to her clip is another posted by bfievents where rodriguez and the film maker speak a little about the film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QtrcRDF ... re=related[/media][/spoiler]

inspirational!

jpeg
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: London, preferably Central London

#46 Post by jpeg » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 pm

I went to see this at Gate - Nottinghill. My first preview in a very very VERY long time!

....And I loved it! Loved the way it was filmed, the build up of emotion as you get to know the story. The music was wonderful too. I am recommending it to everyone I know :D

10/10

tomorrow72
Phase IV
Phase IV

#47 Post by tomorrow72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:24 pm

Saw this yesterday at the Hospital Club - what a lovely documentary - the best documentary i have seen this year apart from Senna that created a tear in my eye - what a humble man! Not many of them around these days.

soonforgotten
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: any London ones except Wandsworth & Enfield
I have tickets for: The Iron Lady, War Horse & a several vouchers

#48 Post by soonforgotten » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 am

I guess I never posted my review for this.

I don't think I'm quite an enamoured with this as everyone else. It's a very good doc, but I wasn't blown away for several reasons.

http://londonfilmfanatiq.com/2012/07/21 ... sugar-man/
102 Different free films seen in 2010 plus 2 repeat viewings and a few tv show screenings... not too shabby. Thanks to everyone for their contributions here.

100 Free Films in 2011 Member #6: 181/100
My top 10 films of 2011

100 Free Films in 2012 Member #6: 210/100

Why not visit my film blog?

jcolombi
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Coventry, Birmingham, Leamington

#49 Post by jcolombi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:08 am

http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/65494

Rodriguez announces one of london show!
A horse walks into a bar and the bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

A pony walks into the bar and whispers, "I'll have a beer, please." The barkeeper asks, "Why are you whispering?".
"I'm a little hoarse."

kevinknapman

#50 Post by kevinknapman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:33 am

jcolombi wrote:http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/65494

Rodriguez announces one of london show!
Only a handful of wheelchair seats available. Otherwise sold out.
Managed to get a ticket myself last week thankfully.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen