Song for Marion

Discuss movies (including free films)
Ms Thrifty

Song for Marion

#1 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:04 am

This is a blog post. To read the original post, please click here »

Directed by Paul Andrew Williams
Starring: Gemma Arterton, Christopher Eccleston, Terence Stamp

Plot: Grumpy pensioner Arthur honors his recently deceased wife's passion for performing by joining the unconventional local choir to which she used to belong, a process that helps him build bridges with his estranged son, James.

IMDB

Get free tickets on the forum

Discuss this film on the forum

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

Re: Song For Marion

#2 Post by EthanRunt » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:19 pm

I didn't see Amour but between Quartet and Marion, I preferred Marion. Sticks closely to formula and is shamelessly manipulative, but it's an effective film full of tears and smiles.

ploggit
Phase IV
Phase IV

Song For Marion

#3 Post by ploggit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Just a heads up that this will be the next Virgin Media screening on 31st January, tickets available on the 24th (try from late on the 23rd).

Once again, really disappointed with Virgin - so many good movies on the horizon and this is as good as they can come up with? Personal preference only I should add! Not doing themselves any favours if they want to be considered in the same league as Sky...

EDIT: I've just noticed that Gemma Arterton is in it. Maybe I've changed my mind...
Last edited by ploggit on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

#4 Post by Livi92 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:17 pm

List of participating venues below...

Basingstoke
Belfast
Birmingham
Blackpool
Brighton
Coventry
Edinburgh Wester Hailes
Glasgow Braehead
Holloway
Kettering
Leeds/Bradford
Lincoln
Liverpool One
Manchester Trafford
Manchester Printworks
Maidstone
Newcastle Metrocentre
Norwich
Sheffield
Stoke on Trent
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#5 Post by asamaic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:59 pm

Well, I'm exhausted. I never cry at films (even those first 10 minutes of Up never get me!) but I was pretty much blubbering throughout Marion.

Bring the hankies. And some water.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

havingascreen
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: edinburgh
I have tickets for: The Social Network
I haven't got tickets for: Narnia

#6 Post by havingascreen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:29 pm

such a sweet film, i was bubbling away too :cry: . Such great performances from Stamp and Redgrave, the teacher was terrific too. Loved the influx of the color yellow and the shots of sunshine breaking through everywhere. The song choice was fantastic and the play on all the creaks and strains of old age comically done.

Yes it was formulaic but brilliant with it

8/10 o/

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue

#7 Post by Livi92 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Definitely a bit of a tear-jerker, with a few unexpected laughs thrown in there. I thought the casting was done quite well and it was a nice surprise to see Gemma Artherton in a different type of role. A good solid 6.5/10

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#8 Post by Diane65 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Really looking forward to this it looks like my type of film lets hope I get lucky and get tickets with Virgin. I do love a tear jerker so I'll bring my tissues.

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV

#9 Post by Livi92 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Its quite similar to Quartet and a bit like Amour, except less depressing, sooo if you liked either of them, you are sure to like it :D Good idea about the tissues, you'll certainly need them x

tsoiboy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#10 Post by tsoiboy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Saw this tonight at Courthouse, Soho. Lovely to see PXC with her OH and friend. Also Funthing, Canadian Turtle and Valda.

I had not hear much about this film and what little I had read the impression I got was Glee for OAPs.

I was really pleasantly surprised about this film tonight. It was Glee with OAPs but this is merely a backdrop for a quite touching film about loss, coming to terms with it and re-connecting with loved ones. The acting turns from Terence Stamp and Vanessa Redgrave were spot on. Terence Stamp playing a dour pensioner was brilliant. Even Gemma Arterton was good in this and I am not a great fan of her Hollywood/Big budget films.

The pacing was good. The comedy came in the form of formulaic OAPs trying to be modern and down with the kids. it was quite a short film of only 90 mins. The ending was good and un-Hollywood.

There was a surprise with a Q&A with the director Paul Andrew Williams who was pleasant and quite frank about the film.

If you see the film the director makes a small cameo in it.

Less depressing than Amour and definitely better than Quartet.

Definitely go and see it. You will leave with a smile.

8.5/10

PXC and her friend and a few other people were quite tearful.
Member No. 42 of the 100 Free Films in 2014 Club 10 Films seen for free in 2014

My reviews:- http://londonfilmfan.blogspot.co.uk

124 Films seen for free in 2013

92 Films seen for free in 2012

22 Films seen for free in 2011

Have tickets for

Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays, O2 Cineworld, Islington Vue, Any Central London Cinema, Surrey Quays, Westfield Stratford Vue, Stratford East Picture House, Greenwich Picture House, Greenwich Odeon, Holloway Odeon

My Movie Scores for 2014 :Click here

My Movie Scores for 2013 :Click here

My Movie Scores for 2012 :Click Here