Song for Marion

Discuss movies (including free films)
martadelas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford, O2, Greenwich Odeon, West End, Islington on work days

Re: Song For Marion

#31 Post by martadelas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Help! I have tickets to see this Monday at Cineworld West India Quay ... but have never been to that cinema and will be going straight from work with not much time to spare. Can you let me know what the best way to get there is? TFL says to get to Bank and jump on DLR to Westferry and then I'm supposed to take a nice walk full of twists and turns. Is that it?
Tomorrow Is a Latter Day

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#32 Post by Beate » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

I wouldn't do that but they are probably saying that because from Bank the train won't stop at West India Quay (I don't know why, it just doesn't). Personally I go one more stop to Canary Wharf, then immediately take a train back from one of the other platforms (to Bank or Stratford, they both stop at West India Quay), so leave the train at CW into the middle platform. At WIQ station you walk down the staircase and turn right, walk past the lift then left down the small staircase and walk past the front of the Marriott Hotel. You can see the cinema from there, its very close to WIQ station. There probably won't be an usher downstairs so go to the first floor and they will try and tell you to wait in the bar - stay firm and right there, it's mostly in screen 1.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

martadelas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford, O2, Greenwich Odeon, West End, Islington on work days

#33 Post by martadelas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 pm

Beate wrote:I wouldn't do that but they are probably saying that because from Bank the train won't stop at West India Quay (I don't know why, it just doesn't). Personally I go one more stop to Canary Wharf, then immediately take a train back from one of the other platforms (to Bank or Stratford, they both stop at West India Quay), so leave the train at CW into the middle platform. At WIQ station you walk down the staircase and turn right, walk past the lift then left down the small staircase and walk past the front of the Marriott Hotel. You can see the cinema from there, its very close to WIQ station. There probably won't be an usher downstairs so go to the first floor and they will try and tell you to wait in the bar - stay firm and right there, it's mostly in screen 1.
Wow, Beate, thank you so much. With your step by step it feels like I've already been there :)
Tomorrow Is a Latter Day

M R M R
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#34 Post by M R M R » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:48 pm

Beate wrote:I wouldn't do that but they are probably saying that because from Bank the train won't stop at West India Quay (I don't know why, it just doesn't). Personally I go one more stop to Canary Wharf, then immediately take a train back from one of the other platforms (to Bank or Stratford, they both stop at West India Quay), so leave the train at CW into the middle platform. At WIQ station you walk down the staircase and turn right, walk past the lift then left down the small staircase and walk past the front of the Marriott Hotel. You can see the cinema from there, its very close to WIQ station. There probably won't be an usher downstairs so go to the first floor and they will try and tell you to wait in the bar - stay firm and right there, it's mostly in screen 1.
Excellent, clear directions. Makes me want to go there now lol

I know who I'll be asking for directions from in future.
Member No. 56 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 6/100 seen. :popcorn:
Member No. 56 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 51/100 seen. :popcorn:
Member No. 56 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 30/100 seen. :popcorn:

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#35 Post by Celini » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:50 pm

Saw this tonight at Holloway where we were greeted by our lovely (if a bit too enthusiastic) Virgin rep. I think the screen was a bit more than half full, which is a shame as it was quite lovely.

I started crying when I understood "Chips and Ice Cream" and every time Vanessa Redgrave was on screen; such an amazing screen presence!
The second and third acts did not live up to the brilliant first act, but overall a pleasant trip to the cinema.

7.5/10
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

redgrant
The Third Man
The Third Man

#36 Post by redgrant » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:38 pm

Also saw this at Holloway. Quite watchable. Terence Stamp's legendary no-nonsense is priceless - "Spinster, are you?"

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#37 Post by biggins » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:44 pm

Saw this at an almost full Westerhailes tonight. The popcorn was handed out in coke drink cartons not rustling bags which was good so didn't spoil the start of the film.

A few funny scenes and also some heartbreaking scenes but overall an enjoyable film which I liked far better than Quartet. 7/10
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#38 Post by Yinster » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:46 pm

Back from Braehead. Not sure if it was full or not. Was sitting in the premiere seats at the front.

Well this is definitely better than Quartet but not Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. It was emotional and for some people it would probably be close to home. Wonderfully acted by Vanessa Redgrave and Terence Stamp. And whilst they are not the best singers in the world both solos were from the heart. This is a feelgood film. 6/10
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

ploggit
Phase IV
Phase IV

#39 Post by ploggit » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:01 pm

Didn't really enjoy this, but then I was not in the demographic. Think my mum enjoyed it though. One of those films where the trailer paints the whole picture.

Nice to see Yinster, etc - though we didn't talk! I hope it wasn't you sobbing out loud!

deb1
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld Glasgow, Odeon Glasgow Quay, Odeon Braehead, Glasgow Showcase

#40 Post by deb1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi, just back from Braehead to see this film. Thought it was very different and took a very emotional and heartwarming look at at a family who are dealing with tough family issues.
Anyone going to see this one remember the hankies.
Member Number 21 of the 100 Free Film Club of 2014.

Aiming for 100 in 2014.

73 films seen in 2013.