Thor: The Dark World

Discuss movies (including free films)
caitlinmorton

Re: Thor: The Dark World

#21 Post by caitlinmorton » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:13 pm

rawr_xoxo wrote:Only just realised I'd said the completely wrong person in my spoiler tag, doh! Oh well, they sort of look the same! :P

Ive just come back from seeing this. I thought it was great! :)
The banter was perfect, the story dragged ever so slightly in the beginning but the humour was quickly up and flowing :D
Lover every second of it :D the cursed were cool and the dark elves weapons were awesome!
Don't get me started on Loki's illusion tricks :')
[spoiler]God bless America! xD[/spoiler]

Also, the end credit scene, definitely setting up [spoiler]Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet[/spoiler] as the big baddy in Avengers 3!

9/10!!
:D
That's not Avengers 3!
[spoiler]It's Guardians of the Galaxy!!!![/spoiler]

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0

#22 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28 pm

caitlinmorton wrote:
rawr_xoxo wrote:Only just realised I'd said the completely wrong person in my spoiler tag, doh! Oh well, they sort of look the same! :P

Ive just come back from seeing this. I thought it was great! :)
The banter was perfect, the story dragged ever so slightly in the beginning but the humour was quickly up and flowing :D
Lover every second of it :D the cursed were cool and the dark elves weapons were awesome!
Don't get me started on Loki's illusion tricks :')
[spoiler]God bless America! xD[/spoiler]

Also, the end credit scene, definitely setting up [spoiler]Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet[/spoiler] as the big baddy in Avengers 3!

9/10!!
:D
That's not Avengers 3!
[spoiler]It's Guardians of the Galaxy!!!![/spoiler]
Actually, Caitlin, have you seen this? [spoiler]Internet speculation suggests that Marvel could be setting up a showdown between Thanos and both the Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers in Avengers 3.
When Screenrant got the opportunity to ask Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige if the Thor 2 mid-credits sequence was clear indication of a lead up to an Infinity Gauntlet War, Feige said, “I don’t know that I would spell it out that clearly, necessarily, but certainly fans of the comics could surmise that all of this is leading somewhere. That Joss’ decision to have Thanos turn around and smile to the audience at the end of Avengers – it was always the plan to show that the Tesseract was indeed an infinity stone, as was the Aether. A lot of that will tie first into Guardians of The Galaxy which comes out next year and then where it goes from there we’ll see… I would not necessarily attribute them based on colors, because you’re close but you’re not 100% right on what each one is. …[but] yes, the MacGuffin of Guardians certainly plays into MacGuffins from the past.”[/spoiler]
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#23 Post by Yinster » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 pm

Yes I saw him ;) but he wasn't as funny as the cameo I thought was really funny.
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#24 Post by raj101 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:02 pm

I snuck into this after the aborted Saving Mr Banks, but this was only marginally better.

In parts Thor DW is fun, but its the parts that are supposed to fill up plot and motives and script that are sorely missing. Obviously Avengers set the bar impossibly high for further sequels to match it, but this is the 3rd superhero movie this year to be lacking substantially. I mean, come on, The Loki plot is just tired now. And Dark elves that can bust your ass one minute but then turn whimp the next. don't insult our intelligence.

What Thor DW does offer is a plethora of special effects and mega-scraps, so if you are a CGI junkie this might be great for you. Just don't expect there to be a reason for ANYTHING that happens, nor the lovely flowing script of the Avengers or the direction of Iron Man 3. Just pretend that everyone on Asgard (and Earth, come to think of it) has single figure IQs and it might just make sense. To put it another way, the most bizzarely interesting and intelligent character was 'Max' from 2 Broke Girls gunning around the place without a cupcake in sight. That's what call an i-MAX.

I didn't think I'd ever say this, but can someone get Ken Brannagh back in the directors seat for Thor 3?
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#25 Post by canadian_turtle » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:20 am

This is basically The Lord of the Rings meets Star Trek and since I'm not a huge sci-fi fan the main story with the baddie etc. didn't appeal to me much; it just made it look so generic. Having said that I still thought this was enjoyable and I'm not just saying it because it has Tom Hiddleston (<3) + Zac Levi (<3 despite his dodgy accent) in the same film. There was a lot of humour (though not as much as I expected from previous films) and it looked absolutely stunning. It didfeel a bit long, despite being under 2 hours long and the two post credit scenes weren't worth waiting for imho. Still, miles better than the first Thor film. 7/10

Best bit was [spoiler]UNEXPECTED STEVE![/spoiler]
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Mitshellin

Re: What Did You Watch Last Night?

#26 Post by Mitshellin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Thor: The Dark World. Funnier than I expected it to be (largely due to Eric & Darcy!). Not a film you need to see in 3D though as far as I'm concerned. Especially if you've recently seen Gravity.

ploggit
Phase IV
Phase IV

#27 Post by ploggit » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Saw this this morning. Nothing new to add except... i've seen product placement before but for Shreddies??? Natalie Portman seemed to be enjoying them though...

To my mind, better than the first one. Faint praise indeed.

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#28 Post by stuartboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 pm

This film is just pretend!

I know this. I tried some stuff with my hammer and it just falls to the floor.

Not a patch on the first Thor film. Way too much confusing different worlds, different (but similar looking monsters/soldiers in identical armour. So glad of Thor's red jumper and yellow hair to identify him.
Loki continually reminded me of Micheal Sheen. Miscast?

Like the appearance of some of The Avengers in cameo. Have I missed something else that Thor has been in as I didn't understand his familiarity with Eric. Were they in something else since Thor 1? My audience kept laughing at Eric's every appearance. What did they know?

Quite sure I saw Beate standing at her window in some of the London/Greenwich exterior shots.

Kinda lame. 5/10. Not a great Marvel movie.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

alameals

#29 Post by alameals » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 am

Just got out of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved seeing more of Asgaard, I really love that world and it looks fantastic. I look forward to a rewatch on Blu-ray

martadelas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford, O2, Greenwich Odeon, West End, Islington on work days

#30 Post by martadelas » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:23 am

At face value it made me smile. Not just the funny bits but in general. What can I say, I like my superhero movies.
Delve into the story, though, and it is a bit of a mess, so perhaps it's best to not overthink it, to not wonder what and why and just enjoy the superficial.

7/10
Tomorrow Is a Latter Day