The Lone Ranger

Discuss movies (including free films)
chelle1973
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any cinemas in Edinburgh and The Lothians.
I haven't got tickets for: Interested in all upcoming screenings.

Re: The Lone Ranger

#31 Post by chelle1973 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:58 pm

The horse was the main star for me! I quite enjoyed this but it did drag in some parts and thought it was quite violent for disney. Tonto did sound like Cap'n Jack Sparrow at times but ive just googled kemo sabe so i'll let him off with that one! I thought some parts were quite funny & the theme tune was brilliant! 7/10
Preferred cinemas: Any in Edinburgh!

Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2019". 4 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2018". 11 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2017". 8 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2016". 15 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2015". 39 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2014". 33 seen

Shinbone125
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#32 Post by Shinbone125 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 pm

I enjoyed it, ok it could have done with being about 1/2 hour shorter but it was good give it 7/10.

TheBoySeggy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#33 Post by TheBoySeggy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Upon reflection, I can only give this a 5. The opening scene set the tone...
[spoiler]Standing on the roof of a train that derails & walking away with a few scratches? Okaaaaaay... one of those films eh?[/spoiler]
There were a few chuckles, Johhny Depp was the best of an average bunch. Barry Pepper was grossly underused - he's been one of my favourite actors for years.

Some of the action sequences were straight from the Fast & Furious 6 mould, leaving you thinking "seriously?"

Biggest surprise for me was the non-existent queue. I expected it to be packed solid... and hi to Val & co (yes, I've forgotten her name). Oops.

5/10

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#34 Post by Beate » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Well the Cineworld WIQ hadn't appeared to have got the memo about the early start time. 6pm came and went with us waiting in a packed cinema, and only after I went out twice did they acknowledge they had "technical issues". It finally started at 6.40pm.

The film made more than up for it though. I thought it was hilarious and the two-train showdown was absolutely mental - I laughed tears. Yes, maybe a bit long, and why Johnny Depp had to be true to his name (Depp = idiot in German) and look so utterly gormless throughout was a bit disturbing, but all in all this was a riot, with a surprising array of English actors to hand.

I just wish the air con had reached the higher rows as well!

7.5/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#35 Post by funthing29 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 pm

What can I say that is positive about this film? Let me think... Oh yes, the score was good but I think that is about it.

I think Gore Verbinski was trying to create the fun and adventure of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film and failed miserably. The tone just didn't work, trying to be silly and serious at the same time, such a mess. [spoiler]A whole tribe of Indians are slaughtered and then immediately forgotten a moment later with weak attempts at comic relief[/spoiler]
It is too boring for children and not clever enough for adults, hardly the family entertainment it is aiming to be. And boy was it long, far too long. Let's not forget the rip offs from other films and the gaping plot holes.

Disney, you disappoint me. 4/10.
Last edited by funthing29 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

ISMADDER
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Northampton VUE, Northampton Cineworld, Kettering Odeon, Milton Keynes Cineworld & Odeon, Leicester Showcase

#36 Post by ISMADDER » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 pm

After Make all that fuss that the film starts at 6pm it Started at 6:30pm, and then put then Irish Film Classification Office at the start of the film, then the film has subtitles on !!! (This is at Milton Keynes). I knew the subtitles would not be turned off as this happen before with a Sky showing of Prince of Persia. The Film was to Long. In fact so long that would normally complain to the manager going down the route well may have been a free film but would never would have spent money on snacks route and get free ticket thing.

Rename this Film the LONG RANGER !!!
Last edited by ISMADDER on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandypiper
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld at Xscape Milton Keynes, Odeon at the Point, Milton Keynes

#37 Post by sandypiper » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Milton Keynes Cineworld was late starting too 6.30pm.

I absolutely loved this Film, and enjoyed Johnny Depp's performance.

9/10 from me.

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#38 Post by McG » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:36 pm

Saw this tonight in Braehead in the company of many FMUKers. :D
I have to say that I did like the film but it was too long. It kind of lost its way half way through. I do think that parents will be very surprised if they take kids to see this as it's clearly not meant for them. The film rating is 12A and I think this is probably the right age for the film ie teenagers and adults. The film is too long for kids and too violent. Just because Disney's name is attached to the title, it is no family film. :blink:
I loved the score and the train scenes! :cool: I thought Johnny Depp was good in the film and small facial expressions were accentuated by the make up. Unfortunately I don't think I would be able to watch the film again as it was just too long . . .
Marks 7/10

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#39 Post by Jayman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:50 pm

ejwrank wrote:This was awful. Trocadero made it even worse as they leave on the brightest overhead spotlights (bl--dy health and safety, they now claim) so I was in full light throughout the film.
What a shame. The Trocadero Cineworld was one of the last few vintage theatres which would actually bother switching off ALL the lights during the movie. Not even the ultra-modern Sky superscreen does that.
ImageImage

tibba

#40 Post by tibba » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am

What can I say. I liked the Disney movie, and was loving the story that they gave to the Tonto character. However, there's a big 'but' (and nope, it's not mine).

The ever so bright cinema staff let two under 10s into the screen (unaccompanied by an adult). They chatted and chatted and chatted some more throughout the entire movie. They also used phones, so take it that they were recording it and commenting on it as they went to later post the movie or scenes somewhere online for friends.

At the end of the movie, the children ran out of the cinema at top speed (just as soon as the first white letters of the credits rolled). They were later seen by the toy car near the carpark ticket machine (which is usually used by children around about 5 years of age - so wondering exactly what the age of the younger of the two children was).

There were scenes inappropriate for such young children, and they seemed bored and entertaining themselves through a lot of the movie's static points. They must've seen tickets for Disney, and thought ideal. However, the tickets aren't screened by age rating. The Cineworld staff should have picked up on the fact that anyone can get tickets for these screenings, including ages ruled out (for obvious reasons, if you've seen the movie).