The Lone Ranger

Discuss movies (including free films)
ISMADDER
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Northampton VUE, Northampton Cineworld, Kettering Odeon, Milton Keynes Cineworld & Odeon, Leicester Showcase

Lone Ranger

#1 Post by ISMADDER » Wed May 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Lone Ranger

From producer Jerry Bruckheimer and director Gore Verbinski, the filmmaking team behind the blockbuster "Pirates of the Caribbean" franchise, comes Disney/Jerry Bruckheimer Films' "The Lone Ranger," a thrilling adventure infused with action and humor, in which the famed masked hero is brought to life through new eyes. Native American spirit warrior Tonto (Johnny Depp) recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid (Armie Hammer), a man of the law, into a legend of justice—taking the audience on a runaway train of epic surprises and humorous friction as the two unlikely heroes must learn to work together and fight against greed and corruption.

"The Lone Ranger" also stars Tom Wilkinson, William Fichtner, Barry Pepper, James Badge Dale, Ruth Wilson and Helena Bonham Carter.

A Disney/Jerry Bruckheimer Films presentation, "The Lone Ranger" is directed by Gore Verbinski and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and Gore Verbinski, with screen story by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio and Justin Haythe and screenplay by Justin Haythe and Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio. 'The Lone Ranger" releases in UK Cinemas on 9th August 2013.

Jolene100
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: West End Cinemas, Islington Vue, Hackney Picturehouse.
I have tickets for: Rise of the Guardians in Richmond
I haven't got tickets for: The Hobbit

Re: Lone Ranger

#2 Post by Jolene100 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:28 am

I didn't know Johnny Depp was Native American? Come on Disney!
Member 51 of the 100 free films in 2014 club. 56 seen 44 to go.
2013 - 60 free films seen, 21 free shows and concerts seen.

1. 12 Years a Slave 10/10
2. Out of the Furnace

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#3 Post by Celini » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:50 am

Interesting piece this morning from BleedingCool. Apparently a 6-minute extended preview of the Lone Ranger will be showing as Man of Steel post credits...
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/14/ ... m=facebook
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

tsoiboy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

The Lone Ranger

#4 Post by tsoiboy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Did not spot a thread for this film.

Just back from Odeon Leicester Square. Nice to bump into Caitlinmorton and stalk PXC and her OH.

A fun romp. Pretty undemanding but definitely overlong at almost 2.5 hrs. 20-30 minutes could have been chopped out. Johnny Depp was Johnny Depp whilst Armie Hammer did a good job at playing the Lone Ranger. Helena Bonham Carter's character really did not add anything to the film and could have easily been cut out and she would not have been missed.

The set pieces were good but there was something lacking to the film. A certain charm perhaps and no doubt there will be comparisons to Pirates of the Caribbean.

It's a good western and at the start the sound track pays hommage to the genre.

Really it should be Tonto and the Lone Ranger.

Watchable in a workman like way and very undemanding.

7/10

P.s. Even better there was free beer tonight.
Member No. 42 of the 100 Free Films in 2014 Club 10 Films seen for free in 2014

My reviews:- http://londonfilmfan.blogspot.co.uk

124 Films seen for free in 2013

92 Films seen for free in 2012

22 Films seen for free in 2011

Have tickets for

Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays, O2 Cineworld, Islington Vue, Any Central London Cinema, Surrey Quays, Westfield Stratford Vue, Stratford East Picture House, Greenwich Picture House, Greenwich Odeon, Holloway Odeon

My Movie Scores for 2014 :Click here

My Movie Scores for 2013 :Click here

My Movie Scores for 2012 :Click Here

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

Re: The Lone Ranger

#5 Post by canadian_turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Awww you beat me to it, tsoiboy!

Was lucky enough to attend the multimedia screening tonight (so happy about that as it solves my clash on the 22nd - though I'd happily would have seen it again!) where we were not only offered free beer but all seats also had popcorn, huge bottles of water and big bags of chocolate, yum!

As for the film Loved: loved loved this! It was Pirates of the Caribbean meets Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid meets Indiana Jones. It was surprisingly gruesome at times (for a Disney film!) but it worked and it was incredibly hilarious too, which definitely evened things out. It really was a blast to watch from start to finish, heck I barely noticed it was nearly 2.5 hours long and would've happily seen even more (sequel please!). Great chemistry between the leads and holy crap, Armie Hammer is sooo hot!

One of my favourite films of the year so far. 10/10

Also: We were shown a trailer for Thor 2, which looks really promising!
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

caitlinmorton

#6 Post by caitlinmorton » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:02 pm

This I once again slightly surprisingly really enjoyed. The stuntwork was pretty dire at times but the cast worked really well, all the build-ups were pa*d off, and THAT HORSE.

Loved this more than I expected to, really hope it starts doing better in America and does alright in other territories as well.

7.5/10
Last edited by caitlinmorton on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#7 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:15 pm

I was there too as tsoiboy says. Gutted that they took our tickets to get in, always like to keep it as a souvenir, but we were allowed to sit in the balcony, and there were free cold beer, water and a goody bag of popcorn and chocolates, which we managed to swap for our favourite ones along our row, so we were all happy!

Enjoyed the film too, really fun although, I did feel it was a bit long. I agree Depp was Depp and stole the film, and was more about Tonto than the Lone Ranger. I would happily watch it again though. 8/10

Oh, on the way out, saw a stack of tickets in a stand by the door, and took a bunch, so if anyone wants one back? ;)
Last edited by prettyxcool on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

RAZORBACK
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Enfield, Lee Valley, Wood Green, North Finchley, Hackney, Hatfield, West India Quay & Greenwich

#8 Post by RAZORBACK » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:17 pm

Was quite chuffed to get tickets for this on Friday (for Total Film screening on the 22nd) but since then a combination of bad word of mouth plus the two & half hours running time had admittedly dulled my desire to see this movie :cry: .

So cheers for the above posts as they've left me feeling more confident that going to see this will end up being a reasonably positive experience o/ ...
Free Films Seen (2015) - 30 including Big Hero 6, Birdman, Enemy, Ex Machina, It Follows, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Selma, The Gambler, Two Night Stand, Unbroken, Whiplash & Wild.

Free Films Seen (2014) - 400

Free Films Seen (2013) - 200

On The Horizon: Focus & Project Almanac.

Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2015' club (30 seen, 70 to go)
Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2014' club (100+ seen, 0 to go)

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#9 Post by tonethestone » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Absolutely terrible film. Depp yet again phoning it in, shame he's just completely sold out nowadays. Poor story, not gripping in anyway. Avoid. 1/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

ladylivvie
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#10 Post by ladylivvie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:17 am

Saw this last night at the Odeon West End, and was grateful for the free cold beer, water and popcorn!

Action/adventure films are never really my kind of thing, but this was fairly entertaining. There were plenty of explosions and horses thundering across the screen, and it was entertaining enough for the genre. Thought that some of the sound was a bit dodgy, at times I had to strain to understand Helena Bonham Carter (during her few fleeting moments) and at times Depp. I liked that it was a bit darker for a Disney film, but felt that they could have trimmed the running time by about 20/30 mins.

Go and watch it if you like the big blockbuster type films, and if you don't like them, just go with an open mind. Pleasantly surprising. 6.5/10
Seen for free in 2014: The Book Thief, Calvalry,
Seen for free in 2012: 7 theatre, 11 film
Seen for free in 2013: 3 theatre, 11 film