Gravity

Discuss movies (including free films)
Ms Thrifty

Re: Gravity

#161 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Well, OH and I will never know what we might have lost (or gained!) by seeing this in 2D, but ignorance is bliss. OH enjoyed it and it was pretty much as I expected though seemed longer than 90 minutes and I did find it a bit repetitive. Mind you, we had had to sit through a full 30 minutes of junk first, so I was probably getting fidgety by the time the feature started.

And I know people are shockers for using mobiles in cinemas these days, but given the type of film this is, i.e. with a fair amount of tension and action, I did find it surprising that so many people were persistently looking at their 'phones rather than watching.

At least a few of the trailers were new to me this time, though not fulfilling their aim if intending to whet the appetite for the films in question.

Forgot to score: 7.5
Last edited by Ms Thrifty on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

caitlinmorton

#162 Post by caitlinmorton » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 pm

Ms Thrifty wrote:Well, OH and I will never know what we might have lost (or gained!) by seeing this in 2D, but ignorance is bliss. OH enjoyed it and it was pretty much as I expected though seemed longer than 90 minutes and I did find it a bit repetitive. Mind you, we had had to sit through a full 30 minutes of junk first, so I was probably getting fidgety by the time the feature started.

And I know people are shockers for using mobiles in cinemas these days, but given the type of film this is, i.e. with a fair amount of tension and action, I did find it surprising that so many people were persistently looking at their 'phones rather than watching.

At least a few of the trailers were new to me this time, though not fulfilling their aim if intending to whet the appetite for the films in question.
Which trailers did you get?

deb1
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld Glasgow, Odeon Glasgow Quay, Odeon Braehead, Glasgow Showcase

#163 Post by deb1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:08 pm

Just noticed that I haven't commented on gravity!
Saw this couple of weeks ago in Glasgow. Having read everyone else's comments I know that I'm in the minority with what I'm about to say but here goes....feeling motion sick on a normal journey, space travel is certainly not for me! I felt like I missed a lot of the film from having to shut my eyes as I felt so dizzy throughout! Whilst I did appreciate the depth of the movie & talent of Sandra Bullock it just wasn't for me.
Suppose it'd be a dull world if we all liked the same things!
Member Number 21 of the 100 Free Film Club of 2014.

Aiming for 100 in 2014.

73 films seen in 2013.

Ms Thrifty

#164 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:47 am

caitlinmorton wrote:
Which trailers did you get?
Certainly The Wolf Of Wall Street, of which I'd never even heard, and a very odd thing (ditto) in what looked like a 70's setting, with Amy Adams and some blokes, which I had to look up as I forgot the title, but which turns out to have been American Hustle. No wonder I got confused as from the trailers only, they came across as very similar.

Flabber
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Cinemas in order of preference: All central London, North Finchley, Holloway, Enfield

#165 Post by Flabber » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Thought this was pretty good, and made the best use of 3D. Some high tension moments and some things which just didn't seem to make much sense. But overall, enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Even managed to avoid many previews, reviews, comments etc. in order to truly appreciate the movie.

8/10

Not sure if its already been posted on here but if you've seen gravity... [spoiler]This is a short movie clip which is to be included in the Blu-ray Disc of Gravity.

Turns out the person who bullock talks to in the foreign language while trying to send a distress signal in the pod, was an Inuit in Greenland.

Apparently cost 100,000 for this 7min clip but it really is nicely done. I was wondering what the guy was saying when looking at the movie. The clip is called "Aningaaq".

http://youtu.be/kiGX-PcPCSw[/spoiler]
Disce quasi semper victurus; vive quasi cras moriturus

SheppyD

#166 Post by SheppyD » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Thought the 3D was beautiful. Was one of those films you want to see but then think it wont live up top the hype so then go to see it by then with low expectations and then actually enjoy it for what it is. Wouldnt work as well in 2D and certainly not to wait for the DVD

Natalie hughes

#167 Post by Natalie hughes » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:47 pm

I can't wait to see it I like Sandra bullock she is fab!!

Thebigdub

#168 Post by Thebigdub » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:45 pm

The 3D was awesome best I've seen since avatar however I thought the storyline wasn't very believable. I would give it 7/10

brettie
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Portsmouth, southampton, eastleigh, fareham
I have tickets for: nada

#169 Post by brettie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 pm

Far out!
ImageImage
Member no.Image of the "100 free films in 2014" club,1 seen
Member no.15 of the "100 free films in 2013" club, 17 seen
Member no.15 of the "100 free films in 2012" club, 24 seen

tina dunn

#170 Post by tina dunn » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I really didn't rate this film. They could have put a lot more into it. Also very predictable. There was no real story.