Gravity

Discuss movies (including free films)
RAZORBACK
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Enfield, Lee Valley, Wood Green, North Finchley, Hackney, Hatfield, West India Quay & Greenwich

Re: Gravity

#41 Post by RAZORBACK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:09 pm

BLADEFRONT wrote:So should I see this in 2D or 3D then, as I couldn't make it to the free screenings, and want to attempt to save!
Personally I'd recommend 2D as I don't think the 3D was effective enough to justify losing the sharpness of a 2D screening (that said the 3D wasn't in any way bad or ineffective, it just wasn't good enough IMO)...
Last edited by RAZORBACK on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Films Seen (2015) - 30 including Big Hero 6, Birdman, Enemy, Ex Machina, It Follows, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Selma, The Gambler, Two Night Stand, Unbroken, Whiplash & Wild.

Free Films Seen (2014) - 400

Free Films Seen (2013) - 200

On The Horizon: Focus & Project Almanac.

Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2015' club (30 seen, 70 to go)
Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2014' club (100+ seen, 0 to go)

TheBoySeggy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#42 Post by TheBoySeggy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Enjoyed this very much. Sandra Bullock with a nailed on Oscar nomination

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#43 Post by valda » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:13 pm

RAZORBACK wrote:
BLADEFRONT wrote:So should I see this in 2D or 3D then, as I couldn't make it to the free screenings, and want to attempt to save!
Personally I'd recommend 2D as I don't think the 3D was effective enough to justify losing the sharpness of a 2D screening (that said the 3D wasn't in any way bad or ineffective)...

I agree with that. I'm sick of 3d making everything so dull and gloomy. Plus as a glasses wearer, I end up with steamy glasses :angry:

I thought this film was stunning! It was hard to believe, it wasn't really in space. It was nice and short, with no padding out for the sake of it. 9/10
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

scootermcc
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#44 Post by scootermcc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Here's my review

http://screengrabsite.yolasite.com

Those that have seen it and weren't convinced by the 3D should see it in IMAX as I'm sure that it will change their opinion.

newdot
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#45 Post by newdot » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Some of the dialogue was very poor in this. It would have been fantastic with no dialogue at all. Zero. Zip.

I appreciated that most of the 3d was subtle and added depth to the picture, but they really have to sort out the light levels (no 48 fps please...that does not work)

So, -1 for the clunk, but still leaves it with a jaw dropping 9/10.

Hey, 1 less than Bad Grandpa...go figure.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#46 Post by alythonian » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 pm

I don't know what I was expecting, but for some reason this left me feeling nothing and hollow. Very odd. It just did nothing for me whatsoever. I absolutely appreciate that I will be in the minority.

Only can muster 5/10 from me.
Alythonian

SOLACE
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#47 Post by SOLACE » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Jayman wrote:
moviemannn wrote:Just been turned away from Shaftesbury avenue for this as the seats were full and also didn't have the correct I'd, this has never happened before, oh well, off to enjoy some Street entertainment there's plenty of time around, city of London is buzzing tonight, I'm not even bitter about the missed movie!
You'd be better off experiencing this on a bigger screen and one in which you're at zero risk of picking up a venereal disease.
I'm taking your advice on board Jayman and gonna avoid shitsbury altogether from now !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

Preferred Cinemas - Any Central London, Shepherds Bush, Kingston Upon Thames, Staines, Wandsworth, The O2, Greenwich, Harrow, Islington, High Wycombe.

TheOnes
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Hatfield, Enfield, Lee Valley, Watford, Leicester Square/Central London, Greenwhich or anywhere within the catchment area of those.

#48 Post by TheOnes » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Back from Shaftesbury Avenue where i swear the screen we were in was the children's playpen

Visually stunning experience with some incredible direction, let down by some contrivances in the script and moments that i just kept rolling my eyes at ([spoiler]Like George Clooney Halucination AND George Clooney letting go of Bullok, some "emotional" scenes that felt cliched and/or undeserved. The fire that happened to start as soon as she arrived at the International Space Station[/spoiler]), but held together by fantastic atmosphere and acting by Bullok, along with some spectacular 3d (i love the 3d medium, so glad it was used effectively here)

Although i do admit there was 15 minutes in the middle where i was desperately trying to hold in a gigantic burp that was building up in my stomach out of respect of my fellow cinema goers, and it got incredibly painful. But it subsided

7.5/10 from me
Preferred cinemas (in order of choice): Hatfield, Enfield, Lee Valley, Watford, Leicester Square/Central London, Greenwhich or anywhere within the catchment area of those.

- So What if Jesus turned Water into Wine? I once turned an entire Student Loan into Vodka. Your move Jesus

katekatrin1981
Air Force One
Air Force One

#49 Post by katekatrin1981 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Good film. 7/10

midian
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: lea valley, enfield, any in greenwich, west india quay

#50 Post by midian » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm

i loved this film. some slight problems with the dialogue but i thought that i can forgive it as the overall experience was electifying. Not a great bullock fan but she did sell the everywoman in peril well.

i found myself just holding my breath in parts as i was so immersed in the thrill. want to see it again and will go for the full IMAX experience. it majesty needs to be seen to be believed. just the thought that one day it will just be seen on regular tv makes me sad :(