Gravity

Discuss movies (including free films)
Ms Thrifty

Re: Gravity

#121 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 am

Question to those who have seen this, please, as I haven't and will probably have to p*y/use a voucher unless some very late previews come up: is it very science-fictiony? That might sound stupid, as it's set in space, but what I mean is, does it focus on the story of the individuals, which would be fine with me, or is it full of (boring) gadgetry and special effects?

I have seen the trailer a few times and thought it was awful - just a capsule whizzing round and round and Sandra Bullock gasping and repeating the same dialogue over and over. If this is an indication of the nature of the film, it's a good trailer; on the other hand, it has made me very hesitant about seeing it.

newdot
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 0

#122 Post by newdot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:43 am

The trailer is a very good representation of this film as a whole.

If you did not like the trailer, you will not enjoy this film.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#123 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:13 am

I thought the trailer made it look much more action packed than it actually was. There's a lot of floating around...
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Ms Thrifty

#124 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:53 am

Thank you both. Well, I certainly won't rush to see this one but may save it for a pre-matinee gap.

SOLACE
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#125 Post by SOLACE » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:47 pm

Watched this at the IMAX in Kingston Upon Thames tonight and it was worth every penny spent ! Had the premier seats too so we were right bang in the middle . What an amazing movie ! Its definately my film of the year so far , i loved everything about it, everything. This movie in my opinion can only be enjoyed on a big screen and best to watch it in IMAX for their fantastic use of 3D and for the full enjoyment of this movie. Thoroughly recommend but ONLY on a big huge screen, I doubt I would have enjoyed as much otherwise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

Preferred Cinemas - Any Central London, Shepherds Bush, Kingston Upon Thames, Staines, Wandsworth, The O2, Greenwich, Harrow, Islington, High Wycombe.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#126 Post by D-Fens » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:04 pm

Or see it on a regular screen and just sit on the front row 8O

SOLACE
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#127 Post by SOLACE » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 pm

D-Fens wrote:Or see it on a regular screen and just sit on the front row 8O

and give yourself a stiff neck ?? no... don't recommend that at all

This movie is best viewed from the centre seats where you can see everything, the camera work and use of 3D was excellent and really does need to be appreciated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

Preferred Cinemas - Any Central London, Shepherds Bush, Kingston Upon Thames, Staines, Wandsworth, The O2, Greenwich, Harrow, Islington, High Wycombe.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#128 Post by raj101 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:40 am

The search for the perfect Science fiction movie goes on this year, after a flying visit to the OTTP but beautiful Oblivion, checking out the digs of the unrelenting Elysium and simply bypassing the wierd gumf that is After Earth. Which brings us to GRAVITY. Thankfully, the best movie has been saved till last in 2013.

Gravity is a perfect movie. It avoids the excesses of Oblivion yet superceeds its beautiful sounds and images, it shapes a story finer than Elysium whilst telling a much simpler tale, and it shits all seven kinds of hell on After Earth.

But you know what? Its not a science fiction movie. Its contemporary. Its close to home by sci fi standards, unfurling right above our heads. Its not about the science either, its the story of a woman who feels alone when shes at home, albeit in a freakingly unusual situation, Sandra is perfect in the role - granted shes wooden, but shes playing a wooden character whose woodeness is crucial to the story, so shes spot on. Sandra doesnt even say 'Okay Okay Okay' even once. The only thing that lets it down is its science element, which is blatantly flawed on several key occasions.

So its not really the perfect science fiction movie. Its just simply a perfect movie. And so the search for the perfect sci fi movie goes on....lala,lala,lalaLA...
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

staffygirl
Air Force One
Air Force One

#129 Post by staffygirl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

I've seen two trailers for this, and one shown in the cinema looks action-packed while the one shown on the TV makes it out to be more of a drama and basically Sandra Bullock just floating about. I'm glad Ms Thrifty asked because I was curious about the film, but I don't think I really want to see it. On another note I noticed you want to see Saving Mr Banks, I was lucky enough to catch a free screening of it last month and I thought it was a wonderfully lovely movie, so I hope you get tickets for it.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#130 Post by D-Fens » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:08 pm

moviemannn wrote: and give yourself a stiff neck ?? no... don't recommend that at all

This movie is best viewed from the centre seats where you can see everything, the camera work and use of 3D was excellent and really does need to be appreciated
Okay maybe not front row but from where you were sitting you could see the sides of the screen right? And maybe the floor and ceiling? If you see the movie on a regular screen but it completely fills your field of view then the effect is the same?

Second row?