Discuss movies (including free films)
The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0

Re: Filth

#61 Post by The Sparrow » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:25 am

baty wrote:
All these films made around Scotland.... is there a tourism drive to visit Scotland?
Would this bring the Tourists in?? lol
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

sharkgirl
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#62 Post by sharkgirl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:21 am

I'm undecided on this, pleased I saw it, definitely "got it" and absolutely followed Macavoy's descent into madness, was disturbed by the violence and sex, wouldn't want to see it again or recommend it though, loved the Edinburgh shots but disappointed Glasgow locations got sliced in too, why do that? - there are plenty of relevant places to film in Edinburgh. Anyhow I thought all of the actors were fantastic, got treated to a second viewing this year of Mr Macavoy's nakedness and Jamie Bell - wow, hasn't he grown up? I nearly collapsed this morning when I realised it was actually "the" David Soul, absolutely amazed. Did I enjoy it? No I didn't. But as someone once told me "the arts" is all about making people think and provoking conversations after the event, so I guess it was successful. Odd.

hotlondon

#63 Post by hotlondon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:03 pm

midian wrote:i was so pumped by the poster of a man riding on a pig - it looked like fun. i had absolutely no idea what the film would be about before i walked in but thought it might be a comedy. 'darkly humerous' for some, with the odd laughs from the crowd. none from me tho. i hated it, thought it was vile and wished i had kept my ticket to see the prisoners and gone to see that instead. :(

0/10
Yet another reason to watch the trailer, so you know what to expect. If it comes to weighing up watching the best bits in trailer or realizing u will hate the film from the trailer, I will always watch a trailer.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#64 Post by D-Fens » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 pm

hotlondon wrote:Yet another reason to watch the trailer, so you know what to expect.
The trailer is quite slick though, if the movie had the same sense of style I think more people would be forgiving of the content. So it's not really any more indicative of the movie than the title Filth and an 18 rating.

bitzer
Air Force One
Air Force One

#65 Post by bitzer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm

I found the first half amusing in places, but the plot became increasingly ridiculous, with rather juvenile attempts to be "shocking".

large marge
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 139
Preferred Cinemas: Dundee
I haven't got tickets for: Anything else!

#66 Post by large marge » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:44 pm

I saw this on Tuesday and it has been preying on my mind ever since. I have not seen a film which made such an impression for a very long time. I thought it was brilliantly acted, and while dark and disturbing, also very funny at parts. Being an Irvine Welsh creation, it's not for the easily offended. I found the lead character loathsome but still felt sympathised with him.

And I now have a strange and rather worrying crush on James McAvoy. :oops: 9/10
Last edited by large marge on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!

robbiecancan1

#67 Post by robbiecancan1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:49 am

well mcavoy was definitely right
people did walk out of my screening
I didn't, it was a great film.

M R M R
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#68 Post by M R M R » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 am

What's most disturbing about this film is the fact that there are people in positions of authority who are experiencing similar issues yet continue to make important decisions which impact on other people's lives.

It is a dark, tragic comedy(?).

Great acting.

Any plans to make it into a stage play yet?
Last edited by M R M R on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 56 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 6/100 seen. :popcorn:
Member No. 56 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 51/100 seen. :popcorn:
Member No. 56 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 30/100 seen. :popcorn:

midian
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: lea valley, enfield, any in greenwich, west india quay

#69 Post by midian » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:28 pm

i dunno. I only briefly saw the poster and thought, that it was interesting and quirky. One of the things i love about these freebie screeing is knowing nothing (or near to nothing) about a film before the lights go dim. the opening scenes can be a true moment of wonder if you have no idea what is coming next.

i do ocassionally read a line or two about what a film is about before i go in (mostly so i can avoid rom-coms), sometimes i watch a trailer if my time is tight so i can make a semi-informed decision to go or not (no point rushing if if i will prob hate it), sometimes the media buzz lets me know about a film whether i like it or not.

For this film i had managed to avoid everything and had avoided evening read the words on the poster after seeing the man on a pig's back. perhaps if i was better prepared I wouldn't have been so appalled. perhaps.

D-Fens wrote:
hotlondon wrote:Yet another reason to watch the trailer, so you know what to expect.
The trailer is quite slick though, if the movie had the same sense of style I think more people would be forgiving of the content. So it's not really any more indicative of the movie than the title Filth and an 18 rating.

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#70 Post by andrews » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:57 pm

One of the darkest comedies I've seen in a long time. James McAvoy was outstanding in this role. He seems to be getting better and better with every film he makes. There were so many issues covered, and some fine writing. Here is a film which I want to see again, to catch the bits I missed because I was laughing so much. Highly recommended.

9/10 from me.
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage