Discuss movies (including free films)
Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

Saving Mr Banks

#1 Post by Yinster » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 pm

Tom Hanks does the double in the LFF by having his film Captain Phillips opening the festival and this film closing it.

I seen this last month through work and personally I loved it. It tells of the story of how the classic Disney's Mary Poppins almost never made the screen and the relationship between Walt Disney and P.L. Travers with a back story of a 10 year old Pam Travers.

Both Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson were excellent in this. And it was interesting to see how Mary Poppins was so close to not being made. A film that many love. 9/10
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

Re: Saving Mr Banks

#2 Post by Yinster » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:49 pm

if you have time stay behind to hear the actual recordings that were made during the credits
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

sophiep100

#3 Post by sophiep100 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:24 pm

I watched this tonight and thought it was a fascinating story, and really enjoyable. I saw Captain Phillips on Friday night (a bit of a Tom Hanks weekend!) and was glad that Saving Mr Banks was slightly less intense than that one!!

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#4 Post by alythonian » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:54 pm

I really enjoyed the film (I didn't enjoy the red carpet - why, oh why, is Alex Zane employed to do these??!!) and thought it was great that it was made. It was a fascinating insight into the story behind the story.
I know it was made on a tiny budget by Holywood standards but I'm sure they could have tried a bit harder to make California look a tiny bit like north Queensland if they'd tried a smidge harder? Tiny point, I know but it did niggle with me throughout the whole film. I've been to Maryborough and they have a Mary Poppins statue on the main street and a plaque.
Emma Thompson was fantastic in this as was Paul Giamatti.

Great film. 8/10 from me.
Alythonian

LondonCityNights
Phase IV
Phase IV

#5 Post by LondonCityNights » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Christ, what a load of self serving sanctimonious gooey bullshit. Essentially it's about how ecstatic you should be to sign over your intellectual property to the beneficent Walt Disney corporation. Maybe if this story had been made by someone other than Disney it'd have been palatable, but a corporation making a film about how great they are is just repellent.

Tom Hanks as Walt Disney is completely flat, a result of a no-doubt strict mandate on what Walt Disney can and can't be seen doing. The end result being that a quite complicated man is whitewashed as cloyingly perfect (in practically every way). Thompson as Travers is a bit better, but the character is still pretty much a one-note caricature.

And those syrupy flashbacks to Australia. Bleergh.

2/5*

edit: and while I'm moaning the Lee Valley Odeon is the absolute pits. Out in the middle of nowhere next to a sewage plant, 30 minutes walk from the nearest train station, crap seating layout, small screen - and it's not even in the right place on Google Maps!
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2014" club 122 seen 8O
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" club 100 seen :sunglasses:
http://www.londoncitynights.com - in depth film (and theatre, art, music etc) reviews.

yogi
Se7en
Se7en

#6 Post by yogi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Loved it. Wondered how much of a story there could be in persuading someone to sign a contract, but its about so much more than that.

Heartwarming, heartbreaking, wonderful film. 9/10
Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2021" club 2 down 98 to go
(Hopefully I can beat last years 12! Unlikely to beat 2013’s 91)

2021: A Quiet Place 2 8.5/10
2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8.5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10

LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#7 Post by Sunny Saver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:21 pm

LondonCityNights wrote:Christ, what a load of self serving sanctimonious gooey bullshit. Essentially it's about how ecstatic you should be to sign over your intellectual property to the beneficent Walt Disney corporation. Maybe if this story had been made by someone other than Disney it'd have been palatable, but a corporation making a film about how great they are is just repellent.

Tom Hanks as Walt Disney is completely flat, a result of a no-doubt strict mandate on what Walt Disney can and can't be seen doing. The end result being that a quite complicated man is whitewashed as cloyingly perfect (in practically every way). Thompson as Travers is a bit better, but the character is still pretty much a one-note caricature.

And those syrupy flashbacks to Australia. Bleergh.

2/5*

edit: and while I'm moaning the Lee Valley Odeon is the absolute pits. Out in the middle of nowhere next to a sewage plant, 30 minutes walk from the nearest train station, crap seating layout, small screen - and it's not even in the right place on Google Maps!

So, you had a good time then :mrgreen:.

LondonCityNights
Phase IV
Phase IV

#8 Post by LondonCityNights » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:24 pm

Sunny Saver wrote: So, you had a good time then :mrgreen:.
I'll have a good time reviewing it... :twisted:

Thank god Philomena was so great. It's funny, I was considering skipping Philomena and just going to this as it looked far more up my street. Glad I made both screenings though.
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2014" club 122 seen 8O
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" club 100 seen :sunglasses:
http://www.londoncitynights.com - in depth film (and theatre, art, music etc) reviews.

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#9 Post by McG » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:49 pm

yogi wrote:Loved it. Wondered how much of a story there could be in persuading someone to sign a contract, but its about so much more than that.

Heartwarming, heartbreaking, wonderful film. 9/10
Totally agree, yogi!
I was very impressed by Emma Thomson. She was excellent as the troubled Mrs P.L.Travers. Tom Hanks was ok but nothing compared to Emma T. Before watching this film I'd no idea how difficult it had been for P.L. Travers to allow Disney to make the film of Mary Poppins and how she battled to keep some control. The part after the credits was very good as it played some of the actual tape recordings of P.L. Travers discussing what she wanted in the film . . .or rather, what she didn't want! It's amazing how similar Emma Thomson's voice was to the real PLT.
Lovely way to spend a Sunday evening.
Marks 9/10

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#10 Post by stuartboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:57 am

SUPERCALIFRAGELSITICEXPIALEDOCIOUS!
Brilliant. Loved this so much.
Lots of neck-prickles and lumps in throats, and not necessarily at the bit(s) you might have thought.
Definitely a daddy and loss of daddy film which had a particular poinance for me tonight as it was a big anniversary of me losing mine.
Emma T deserves big awards. Loved the humour throughout. This would have been horrid if not also made by Disney as it was made by the inclusion of the various songs and numbers from the original which might not have been possible if it was made by an independant. So relieved to finally see clips of the original towards the end - Julie Andrews and Dick Van Cockney. This would have been more TV movie if it hadn't included the music and scenes.
Impressed at how believable T.hanks was as Walt. He seemed to morph into Disney facially - looked like a completely differnt person from Captain Mark Phillips.

I actually enjoyed the red carpet stuff. Pity though that the non-Times ticket holders - it was a multisource screening - came in at and after 7.30 as that was what was on their tickets. The ubiquitous Zane didn't grate too much, although he seemed to only have one question - "What do you think of our cherry-blossom red carpet set?". At least each of the celebs he interviewed had enough of their own interesting stuff to say.

Was quite long, what with the red carpet, but I was transfixed throughout.

Have to say that California playing Australia was far superior to California playing Scotland as in Brigadoon which I saw as a freebie last night!

Definite 9/10
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.