missunique
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich O2/ Greenwich Oden/ Romford Vue/ lee valley Oden
I have tickets for: Frozen

Re: Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

#61 Post by missunique » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:56 am

Watched this on Sunday, great movie. Idris was excellent in this movie. Very emotional in the cinema.
Member No. 33 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 0 seen 50 to go

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#62 Post by Beate » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:33 pm

The FF post about the Virgin screening is an early alert. Normally screenings should only be posted once they are live. As it's not long to go, I will leave this up, and from experience this should go live at 11.45pm tonight. I do NOT want another post on FF then saying "live now". Please, yes?
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 1 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

deb1
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld Glasgow, Odeon Glasgow Quay, Odeon Braehead, Glasgow Showcase

#63 Post by deb1 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

Saw this in Cineworld Glasgow with OH, Yinster and OH.

Whilst I do agree with a lot of the previous comments, there is no doubt that Mandela is one truly inspirational man who had a fascinating life and the Elba played the role well. However as far as the film itself I found it a too bit long and had many questions that I felt were unanswered when we left. Having said that I think that it will be an Oscar contender.
7/10 from me.
Member Number 21 of the 100 Free Film Club of 2014.

Aiming for 100 in 2014.

73 films seen in 2013.

karenlg123
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort, Glasgow Showcase Baillieston and Paisley

#64 Post by karenlg123 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:59 am

Saw this in Glasgow and whilst I thought it was a good enough film, I felt it was pretty superficial and didn't go into any great depth on a lot of things. No doubt Idris Elba played the part well, but neither myself or my father who came with me could relate to him as Mandela. He towered over all the other characters and yet Mandela was small in stature albeit with a large presence. I'm sure there must be other actors who would have been a better match for playing Mandela. If I wanted to watch anything to give me real info on this story, I have to say there were much better documentaries/programmes on the television this week. I think it would though be a good film to roll out to schools in the future for Moderns Studies or History classes as it would give an overall idea to those of an age who did not live through this and contains enough information in a watchable format for it to be watched and absorbed in a double period at high school.
7/10

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#65 Post by ladams888 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:28 am

karenlg123 wrote:......No doubt Idris Elba played the part well, but neither myself or my father who came with me could relate to him as Mandela. He towered over all the other characters and yet Mandela was small in stature albeit with a large presence. .....
There are various (conflicting) statements about Mandela's height. It would appear that in his prime, he was taller than most Africans. Here is one quote, "...According to Long Walk to Freedom’s casting agent, Moonyeenn Lee, none can measure up to Mr Mandela’s 6ft 4ins (1.93 metres) frame. “I was free to cast a South African and I auditioned some extraordinary local actors,” Mrs Lee told South Africa’s City Press newspaper. “But the main problem is the height. Mandela is a particularly tall man. On average, South African actors are not 1.9m.”

And from Last week's Telegraph magazine, "Elba is 41 and as Mandela he uses prosthetic make-up to age 40 years. He plays the ‘bad boy’ in his 20s and 30s in sharp suits, and the dignified older statesman in batik shirts (the younger Mandela is played by Atandwa Kani). The physical resemblance is helped by Elba being tall (Mandela is 6ft 3in; Elba, 6ft 2in) and charismatic in his own right, and he manages to capture the essence of Mandela better than a more realistic incarnation might have been able to. "

caitlinmorton

#66 Post by caitlinmorton » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:09 am

I think if the statement about Mandela's height is true (I also had some issues with that) then maybe its more of a bulk issue. Idris Elba is bulky. The guy could easily be one of the most menacing bouncers you've ever seen. I don't get that from Mandela. Maybe the height was right, but not the body type.

I'll be watching this film again because of the Award nominations as obviously my mindset watching it before Mandela passed will be different than the voters now (I like to watch everything and make informed picks for Awards Season, its like my Super Bowl) so want to watch it again and see how I feel this time.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#67 Post by raj101 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:22 am

in the media I am so used to seeing Old Mandela, who probably lost a couple of inches after his 60s, that I thought of him at shorter than Elba.

I guess seeing a near prime muscle bound man trying to impersonate the gait of a 70something is never going to be accurate, theres way too much difference in the way their bodies are.
No, I do not want to see Bad Boys, ok?

rottyexpress
Air Force One
Air Force One

#68 Post by rottyexpress » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Is the code 207094 for anybody or just for virgin customers?

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#69 Post by Yinster » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:50 pm

rottyexpress wrote:Is the code 207094 for anybody or just for virgin customers?
Not sure of the question as Virgin does their tickets booking by asking for their customer's virgin account and cross reference with their postcode. Also the code you posted is on a different website that Virgin customers do not use to get Virgin tickets. The code you posted is for anyone but probably more specific to those who are near the locations of the cinemas given.
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

KM&M
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Ipswich only

#70 Post by KM&M » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:58 am

There is actually another screening of this at my local tomorrow, if I wasn't so tired after a busy week and the Sunday buses worked better with the show time I would so go and see it again.
Member #44 (since 2014) of the annual 100 Free Films club.

Free films seen in 2020: 1
1: Free previews

31 films seen via free preview screenings since 2014!