eumenides
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Bournemouth, Southampton, Poole, London / Kent

Re: Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom

#51 Post by eumenides » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:27 am

ladams888 wrote:
when you say, loved the music, did that include the U2 track at the end? I thought it lowered the tone of the film. I suspect there are many music artists resent Bono jumping on the bandwagon, when they were campaigning for Mandela and his cause for years before he ever did. It was also a poor track.
Nope, I was referring to the African music!
I agree, they should have had more of this. But didn't like the musical score in between much and thought the U2 song was completely out of place. 7/10 for the acting, both leads had the accents spot on I thought.

Soton Odeon started the film just with the sound for 5 mins then restarted it for the 20 or so people in the audience. I know it was cold last night but that is the poorest turnout I've ever seen !
Member No. 6 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 3 seen
Member No. 6 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 14 seen
Member No. 6 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 21 seen
Member No. 6 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 49 seen

Spoiler
Show
Preferred cinemas: Bournemouth, Southampton, Poole *Occ London and Kent
*Greenwich, Bluewater, Rochester, Maidstone, Chatham
Have tickets for:
Looking for: Anything else

deepeecee
Air Force One
Air Force One

#52 Post by deepeecee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 am

The faint suggestion that imprisonment without information from the outside world enabled Mandella to gain perspective while his wife was suffering direct haressment that drove her to extremism was interesting and brought a new aspect to a well-known story

caitlinmorton

#53 Post by caitlinmorton » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 am

The U2 song annoyed me as well. I just kept thinking about Invictus, where Clint Eastwood used a South African a capella group his wife discovered while filming to do the soundtrack. Surely there would have been loads of South African acts chomping at the bit to be a part of this?

KM&M
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Ipswich only

#54 Post by KM&M » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Great screening tonight, so different from Walter Mitty last night you'd hardly believe it was the same cinema! I wasn't the first to arrive so usher knew which screen it was. They even cleaned the screen while the end credits of previous film were rolling so we could be seated. It was warm and very well attended, although it is the smallest screen it is also the most comfy.
Several children under 10 there but throughout the film you could have heard a pin drop.
I wasn't the only one to surreptitiously wipe away tears upon leaving.
It taught me much about Nelson Mandela but also a great deal about Winnie who shouldn't be over looked.
Member #44 (since 2014) of the annual 100 Free Films club.

Free films seen in 2020: 1
1: Free previews

31 films seen via free preview screenings since 2014!

mathew1971
The Third Man
The Third Man

#55 Post by mathew1971 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 pm

Watched tonight at Didsbury - Got there just after 6 to find it started at 6 :evil: - checked my ticket and states 6 for 6.30 as always.

Lots of people already there so not quite sure how they knew - glad i always arrive early only missed first 4-5 mins.

Movie was great i really enjoyed it - even at 2.5 hours i think it probably skirted over lots of stuff - this could probably have been a 2 part movie.

Given recent events this was a great insight into his life.

Solid 8/10 o/

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#56 Post by alythonian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:57 pm

Edinburgh also started at 6 and I got there are 6.10! Really annoying,
Alythonian

KM&M
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Ipswich only

#57 Post by KM&M » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:59 pm

I think there was one code via Huffington Post which stated in the blurb 6 for 6:30 but my ticket from there stated 6.
Then SFF released a code for students, same date same venues (I think- mine was on both codes and is not a common venue- not a single Mr Banks preview!- so I don't think there was 2 screenings there tonight) 6 for 6:30.
Glad I went for 6!
Member #44 (since 2014) of the annual 100 Free Films club.

Free films seen in 2020: 1
1: Free previews

31 films seen via free preview screenings since 2014!

Tiz
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#58 Post by Tiz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:20 pm

alythonian wrote:Edinburgh also started at 6 and I got there are 6.10! Really annoying,
My ticket said it was a 6pm start and I received an email from ShowFilmFirst this morning emphasising it was a 6pm start.
Last edited by Tiz on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#59 Post by alythonian » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:59 am

Tiz wrote:
alythonian wrote:Edinburgh also started at 6 and I got there are 6.10! Really annoying,
My ticket said it was a 6pm start and I received an email from ShowFilmFirst this morning emphasing it was a 6pm start.
mine said 6 for 6.30 and no email reminder.
Alythonian

Tiz
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#60 Post by Tiz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:17 am

alythonian wrote:
Tiz wrote:
My ticket said it was a 6pm start and I received an email from ShowFilmFirst this morning emphasising it was a 6pm start.
mine said 6 for 6.30 and no email reminder.
Interestingly, having re-checked my ticket, there were no sponsors mentioned (e.g. Heat etc) - it was a ShowFilmFirst only screening on mine.
I posted earlier in this topic querying the start time, however I received their email stating:
"Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom - Important Note. We look forward to seeing you at tonight's screening of Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom. We would like to remind you that the screening starts at 6pm sharp, there are no trailers before the film. No late admittance."