Oscars 2014

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Oscars 2014

#11 Post by Beate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:54 am

I will have the results of the Oscar prediction game a little later today - it will take me a little while to add all the green ticks!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Beate
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#12 Post by Beate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:34 am

So the big winner at this year's Oscars is Gravity with 7 Oscars. Dallas Buyers Club wins 4, 12 Years a Slave wins 3 including Best Picture, Frozen and The Great Gatsby both win 2 each. I don't think there were that many surprises although I would have given Jennifer Lawrence the edge over Lupita Nyong'o but she's quite clearly flavour of the month right now. The great travesty for me is the Oscar for the Great Beauty, which is a boring and pretentious art-house film. The Hunt was so much better!

Here is the full winners list:

Best Picture
12 Years a Slave

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave)

Best Animated Feature
Frozen (Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee, Peter Del Vecho)

Best Cinematography
Gravity (Emmanuel)

Best Costume Design
The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin)

Best Directing
Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)

Best Documentary Feature
20 Feet From Stardom

Best Documentary
The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life (Malcolm Clarke, Nicholas Reed)

Best Film Editing
Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón, Mark Sanger)

Best Foreign Language Film
The Great Beauty (Italy)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Dallas Buyers Club (Adruitha Lee, Robin Mathews)

Best Original Score
Gravity (Steven Price)

Best Original Song
Let It Go (Frozen)

Best Production Design
The Great Gatsby (Catherine Martin, Beverley Dunn)

Best Animated Short Film
Mr. Hublot (Laurent Witz, Alexandre Espigares)

Best Live Action Short Film
Helium (Anders Walter, Kim Magnusson)

Best Sound Editing
Gravity (Glenn Freemantle)

Best Sound Mixing
Gravity (Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead, Chris Munro)

Best Visual Effects
Gravity (Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, Dave Shirk, Neil Corbould)

Best Adapted Screenplay
12 Years a Slave (John Ridley)

Best Original Screenplay
Her (Spike Jonze)

Beate

#13 Post by Beate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:37 am

Now, you all want to know who won the prediction game?

Drumroll please for....

weirdfilms33!

Yet again he storms the board, with 22 correct predictions.
Right behind are scootermcc and markrobertpetty, both with 21 correct predictions.

Yours truly annoyingly only got 18 correct predictions. I've written everyone's score under their post so you can check out how well (or not) you did yourself.

Congratulations to our winner and runners-up! o/

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#14 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:45 am

Is that ol' Weirdy winning the FMUK predictions yet again?!!?

Wow, congratulations Weirdfilms, once again! o/ o/ o/ you really know your Academy Judges...still gonna beat ya on most watched cinema movies ;)

Yay for Frozen, my favourite film of the year :) Let it Go was classy songwriting and has brought back the spirit of the Disney silver age. Every winner seem justified, although 12 years a Slave is the only film I have not made an effort to see. Is it really that deserving? Or is the subject matter giving it the edge? Does it say anything new about the slavery era? Or is it really just an outstanding piece of filmmaking? I'll watch it, if its a film for the ages.
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

Beate

#15 Post by Beate » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:12 pm

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#16 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:27 pm

My favourite bits are the Cumberbatch photobomb and the Ellen selfie (most RT-ed Tweet in Twitter's history and it broke Twitter for a bit!).
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

weirdfilms33
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Anything in central or South London

#17 Post by weirdfilms33 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:58 pm

TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:Is that ol' Weirdy winning the FMUK predictions yet again?!!?

Wow, congratulations Weirdfilms, once again! o/ o/ o/ you really know your Academy Judges...still gonna beat ya on most watched cinema movies ;)

Yay for Frozen, my favourite film of the year :) Let it Go was classy songwriting and has brought back the spirit of the Disney silver age. Every winner seem justified, although 12 years a Slave is the only film I have not made an effort to see. Is it really that deserving? Or is the subject matter giving it the edge? Does it say anything new about the slavery era? Or is it really just an outstanding piece of filmmaking? I'll watch it, if its a film for the ages.
Wahey, looks like I got lucky again! In some senses it's a shame that awards can be so predictable, but then I guess most of the Academy are in the same demographic - white, male, conservative, so no wonder we can foresee their choices! I'm slightly astonished that The Act of Killing didn't win Best Documentary, however - one surprise from this year!

I shall admit defeat in the field of total films seen, Mr. Glass, as I simply can't compete with your Cineworld unlimited card. I'm a BFI member now though so I see much more at the Southbank cinema. And I would really encourage you to watch 12 Years a Slave - I think it works on several levels, being a worthy chronicle of American slavery whilst exhibiting some outstanding cinematic qualities, particularly the acting and the camerawork.

I loved the Cumberbatch photobomb as well! The unhinged look he had is unsurpassable.
Go ahead, make my day - by visiting my blog: http://jacobthehobnob.wordpress.com/

Member number 33 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. I saw 32, which is rather delightful.. I beat Mr. Glass on free films but he narrowly inched me out on total films seen.

Member number 33 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. I saw 20, interestingly enough. My more realistic target was to see more free films than TheyCallMeMrGlass. I lost.

scootermcc
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#18 Post by scootermcc » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 pm

weirdfilms33 wrote:
TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:Is that ol' Weirdy winning the FMUK predictions yet again?!!?

Wahey, looks like I got lucky again! In some senses it's a shame that awards can be so predictable, but then I guess most of the Academy are in the same demographic - white, male, conservative, so no wonder we can foresee their choices! I'm slightly astonished that The Act of Killing didn't win Best Documentary, however - one surprise from this year!

I shall admit defeat in the field of total films seen, Mr. Glass, as I simply can't compete with your Cineworld unlimited card. I'm a BFI member now though so I see much more at the Southbank cinema. And I would really encourage you to watch 12 Years a Slave - I think it works on several levels, being a worthy chronicle of American slavery whilst exhibiting some outstanding cinematic qualities, particularly the acting and the camerawork.

I loved the Cumberbatch photobomb as well! The unhinged look he had is unsurpassable.
Congratulations weirdfilms33 you beat me by one. See you next year for another go at your crown.

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#19 Post by McG » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Beate wrote:Now, you all want to know who won the prediction game?

Drumroll please for....

weirdfilms33!

Yet again he storms the board, with 22 correct predictions.
Right behind are scootermcc and markrobertpetty, both with 21 correct predictions.

Yours truly annoyingly only got 18 correct predictions. I've written everyone's score under their post so you can check out how well (or not) you did yourself.

Congratulations to our winner and runners-up! o/
Congratulations to weirdfilms33 and to the runners up, scootermcc and markrobertpetty!
Next year I'll make better guesses . . . . :p

Also, a big Thank You to Beate for being the teacher and "marking" all the entries and totalling them! o/
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#20 Post by canadian_turtle » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

Travoltify your name! Mine is Zachary Doon, lol

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/low_ ... _name.html
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)