Up in the Air

Discuss movies (including free films)
superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

Up in the Air

#1 Post by superhero » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 am

Definitely the best film I have seen so far at the London Film Festival. George Clooney gives a very nuanced, subtle performance tinged with sadness, which you really see in his performance. This performance is more in line with Michael Clayton, whereas The Man who stare at Goats, the performance is more like in O brother where art thou?
It's quite a serious adult film, which explores themes of social alienation, relationships, unemployment. Well as the director said it himself "the purpose of life". However it is actually quite funny as well, due to his excellent screenplay with witty lines (similar to his other films Juno and Thank you for smoking).
It was quite nice to have the director(Jason Reitman) there to answer the questions. We learn that the line in the film that gets the best response was the one line written by his famous dad, Ivan Reitman. Have a guess which line when you see it....! This is the first film he worked with his dad as a producer. Also there are 2 nice jokes about asians in the film and then we learn he's married to an asian wife, who was also present. I think they met in London!
There were also great performances from the 2 leading ladies which added to the chemistry in the film. And the ending of the film was quite nice, doesn't patronise you hollywood style.
I suspect it will get some sort of nominations when the award season comes.
All in all a very well observed, touching film. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. I am giving it 8.5/10

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Up in the Air

#2 Post by Beate » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm

I agree, this is a brilliant film, wouldn't mind watching that again as a free preview!

Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) is employed by a company that gets called in to do the dirty "we are having to let you go" work if the HR department itself is too chicken to do it, with the economic crisis of course giving them plenty to do. When he isn't doing that, he gives talks on empty backpacks being the metaphor for decluttering our lifes and getting rid of the things that weigh us down (people included). So George spends his entire life flying from one location to the next, spouting meaningless drivel at people who just lost their jobs, spending the minimum time at his soulless apartment, non-committally hooking up with a fellow business traveller whenever their paths meet, waiting for the moment when he will hit 10 million air miles, and he likes it that way. Until an ambitious young colleague has a brilliant idea: "All that flying about costs too much money, why don't we just fire them via the internet over a webcam based programme?" George vehemently protests and takes her on a tour of America so that she can learn what his job is actually about and why it has to be done personally.

The acting is very good and the film is very very funny, with a lot of witty one-liners (LOL at the scene where he tells his colleague which queue to choose at an airport security check or where he and the business woman compare their various cards!). It is as superhero said quite adult and sad at times too - George Clooney forever roaming the skies without any meaningful relationship even after he had seen the light and promptly had his heart broken. Can I just say thank God for the non-Hollywood ending and that I saw the twist coming a mile away!

I would thorougly recommend this, and not only for Clooney being very dishy in it! 9/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#3 Post by superhero » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:04 am

Yeah you can see the twist coming from a mile but it's such an enjoyable ride, you don't spend time thinking about it, unlike if it was a horror/thriller where the audience is always wondering about the twists. Structurally it's quite similar to the film "Away We Go" but better.
I think it would do well in nominations at least in the upcoming award season, but it won't win, because its not a historical period drama, someone overcoming so physical/mental handicap as such. It's just a very well made adult drama, which happens to be very funny too.
Don't read too much about it, just go in with no expectations and enjoy the film!

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#4 Post by superhero » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Interesting, this is the review for Up in the Air from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... eview.html

Its completely in agreement with me and Beate.

Ms Thrifty

#5 Post by Ms Thrifty » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Certainly sounds more promising than "The Men Who Stare At Goats" Shame about George Clooney, though!

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#6 Post by superhero » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:29 pm

I think the press is just in love with George Clooney, he got rave reviews for this film and for his acting in "The Man who stares at goats". The acting in "Up in the Air" is in a different league!

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#7 Post by EthanRunt » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:32 pm

Can't wait for Up In The Air, disappointed by Juno but Reitman's Thank You For Smoking is still one of my very favourite films.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#8 Post by superhero » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:39 pm

Oh this is closer to Thank you for Smoking than Juno I think and the interactions between the leads are wonderful

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#9 Post by a_person » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:28 am

This is the next Sky Perks screening... Possibly in December?
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks

#10 Post by superhero » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:53 am

Those lucky sky viewers then! (or non viewers)