Cuban Fury

Discuss movies (including free films)
Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

Re: Cuban Fury

#51 Post by Livi92 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 am

Mediocre film. Some laughs to be had, but given the cast, I have to say I expected more. I agree with the Beate, the Simon Pegg's cameo was priceless! Great touch!

5.5/10
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#52 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:29 pm

Beate wrote:Shame, you missed the best scene in the whole film. That look was priceless.
Ah well, story of my life. :roll:
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#53 Post by canadian_turtle » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 am

I saw this at Vue West End last night and really enjoyed it. It wasn't mind-blowing or thought-provoking, but it was sweet, heartwarming and funny - exactly what I was expecting and was in the mood for. I've never really cared for Nick Frost before (I didn't mind him but didn't love him either) but I think he stepped up to the plate and was a likeable main protagonist. Rashida Jones and Olivia Colman were good in their respective roles too (I'm well-impressed by the latter's dance moves), though Chris O'Dowd and Kayvan Novak stole the show for me. [spoiler]Especially the dance off in the parking lot and the "Where did you put it" scenes cracked me up. A lot.[/spoiler]
7/10

I'm very happy I went to a screening with an introduction by Nick Frost and Q&A afterwards as well. This man is hilarious! And nice to see caitlinmorton too :) Overall a very pleasant evening out.
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

starfall75

#54 Post by starfall75 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Similar to canadian_turtle saw this at Vue last night. I actually found it nice and refreshing, and the introduction and scene-setting by Frost as well as his Q&A helped to grasp the movie better. He's got a good handle on the film's acting, directing etc. I went in with no expectations (as I do with most films to be honest) and definitely wasn't disappointed. A good laugh, and a good concept by Frost.

Also agree that Kavyan Novak's gags were absolutely priceless and had me in splits!

Overall 7/10

rawsalsa
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich O2, Brixton Ritzy, Greenwich Odeon, Surrey Quays, Clapham Picturehse, Streatham, Wandsworth

#55 Post by rawsalsa » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:26 pm

I was looking forward to this film as I have danced Salsa for many years and consequently wasn't surprised to know many of the salsa people in the film.
I was really impressed with Nick Frost's dancing in the movie, however despite what he said as an intro to the screening, I know that the Salsa scene is a great leveller in that it really doesn't matter whether you are notionally fat, skinny, good-looking or ugly, if you are a good dancer, people will want to dance with you.
I agree with Canadian_turtle that "Chris O'Dowd and Kayvan Novak stole the show", particularly the latter who was very funny throughout. I also thought the cameo appearance was excellent.
Overall I found the film mildly entertaining and enjoyed the Q&A with Nick Frost much more.
5/10
Member No. 22 of the "100 free films in 2013" club

81 fims seen in 2012 (Thanks to all who helped me achieve this!)

fredolac
Air Force One
Air Force One

#56 Post by fredolac » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Average 5/10

LondonCityNights
Phase IV
Phase IV

#57 Post by LondonCityNights » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:14 am

I quite enjoyed it! It's a film with modest ambitions, but manages to fulfil them nicely. Though with such a talented cast you suspect this is a bit of a waste of their time. Still, it was much better than I thought it was going to be, and by the end I even cared a tiny bit about salsa music. A pleasant little diversion.

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2014/02 ... james.html

6/10
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2014" club 122 seen 8O
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" club 100 seen :sunglasses:
http://www.londoncitynights.com - in depth film (and theatre, art, music etc) reviews.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#58 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:31 pm

I saw this last night. Not a film I particularly looked forward to but I felt a thirst a to see a movie and this was the only film on a late show that I had not see yet. Alright, I lie I do want to see it, its got Nick Frost in it and I was curious to see how he carries a film on his own having being so used to seeing him as one half of the awesome Pegg-Frost act.

But its clearly an all out date movie and for that purpose its a decent one albeit with many flaws. It aint a film for the guys to see on their own like er...like...like what I did... :red:

The film is very cheesy and sometimes uncomfortable, although the uncomfortable moments are played for laughs, I am nevertheless squirming in my seat at the back trying to remain inconspicuous for fear of being spotted by someone who knows me.

Nick Frost carries the film with confidence though, there is a little Ricky Gervais's Andy Millman at play here, a man who suppresses his urges to do things that may come across uncool to his friends and colleagues. He gives a fine performance here and I really enjoyed that.

However, the film is very fluffy and way too caricatured. Sure we know these characters in our everyday lives but they are so damn OTT, subtlety is definitely not the name of the game here.

As for the main plot, well you know what...this is actually the Salsa version of Sly and DeNiro's The Grugde Match movie...Salsa becomes literally a boxing match build up film and I actually found that pretty cool, where Salsa becomes a form of martial arts aggression.

As for two of the main "comic" support characters, I kept squirming several times in my seat at some of the supposed "comedy" they were delivering. The IT Crowd fella was just too nasty and unfunny. A middle eastern salsa enthusiast (Good actor, I recognise him in Four Lions) plays it extremely gay and camp which the film plays heavily on his actions and Nick Frost's reactions for comedy effect. I'll admit some of it is funny but we've seen it before in Extras and hundreds of lightweight comedies since the 70s/80s. This sort of comedy is old and crass. Most of you seem to enjoy it but I guess its just not my cup of tea.

Besides Nick Frost, the salsa is the star of the movie and I actually found myself toe tapping at an alarming rate, so much so I was consciously hoping I was sitting far enough away from the next person because I dont want anyone see me toe tapping with this "girly" date movie...'cos you know, it aint cool for a guy, is it? Right? However, I am very disappointed that Nick Frost doesnt actually get any thinner and as a result is given an obvious stunt double to do his more complicated moves. Nick Frost may have put in a lot of physical hard work to learn salsa but it seems to me he compensated by eating more Cornish Pastries so looks exactly the same shape in the end. As a health and fitness expert, I am VERY disappointed! But the movie tries to preach that it doesnt matter what size you are, you can still Salsa and blow everyone away. I dont b*y that crap...and seeing that stuntman do the marginally more complicated moves just proves my point. To excel in any physical activity, you need to exercise AND eat healthier. In Grudge Match, Sly and Deniro worked harder, ate healthier resulting in leaner bodies. No escaping it. Here endeth the lesson. For more info, pop into the Weight Watchers thread in General Discussion or click on the link in my signature, Diane65 and co will give you a very warm welcome and plethora of good advice and encouragement ;) That reminds me, I havent popped in there myself for over a week....

Anyway, its all very lightweight fun, has an uncomplicated plot and is ultimately feel good. The salsa showdowns are actually great, Nick Frost is engaging and the dialogue is often funny (it better be for this sort of movie). On a negative side, the whole film is too fluffy, it cheats too much to propel the journey and as I said, the supporting characters are way too caricatured to an almost embarrassing level.

One final note and its a positive one, I love the film's moral message, in some ways I can relate to it...I reflect on my feelings I had sitting in the back corner seat of the cinema...why am I embarrassed to watch this film on my own? I love movies, I see anything. Why do I need to suppress telling anyone that most of the time, I go to the cinema on my own...and er a date movie at that? Why do I have to feel ashamed of that? why should I be concerned with the social stigma of what is cool or uncool with my mates? With you guys, I am pretty much open but with my friends, I do hold back a bit in the "uncool" things I do in their perception. This film has something to say about that and I like it. My very best friend and I always go to see macho movies, sci fi etc but I have to say, he does scratch his head when I go to see movies like this...own my own. I dont blame him really but I feel better off being honest about it. So Cuban Fury gets a tick in the box there for driving a thought provoking message.

So I not ashamed to see this without a date, I am a hardcore cinema goer after all, though I have to admit this really is a movie primed for taking a date/partner with! Couples will sufficiently enjoy it and perhaps be spurned on to take Salsa lessons. I might even have a go at some lessons myself...might...

6/10
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Hey drop that choc chip Brownie...
I said drop the brownie...now! Good, now drop by the Weight Watchers thread
and have fun getting healthier and fitter :D

Ms Thrifty

#59 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:13 am

My sister and I saw this yesterday for some harmless fun to round off a girls' day out, which bill it fitted neatly.

We expected the cinema to be far fuller than it was, given that it was half-term (OK this one wasn't particularly aimed at children but still a relatively new release and we went to an early evening performance) and that we'd had to queue just to get into the car park to b*y our tickets earlier.

(Before the film we saw no fewer than 6 (yes, SIX!) trailers, all but one of which served either to deter me from seeing the film concerned or confirmed my existing intention not to do so. Was there ever so much c..p advertised at once? Yet these trailers are supposedly chosen to appeal to those seeing the feature - mystery!)

7/10 from me.

Sunbath
Air Force One
Air Force One

#60 Post by Sunbath » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:51 am

from me 6/10