The Double

Discuss movies (including free films)
Ms Thrifty

The Double

#1 Post by Ms Thrifty » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:13 am

"A comedy centred on a man who is driven insane by the appearance of his doppleganger."

I couldn't find a thread for this so please no-one shoot me if it does turn out to be a duplicate.

Anyway, I logged on this morning, eager to read reviews by those who won tix to last night's preview + Q & A, only to find no mention. So what happened - did the promoters impose an embargo? Only a week until the release, and given the number of previews last night, it didn't look as though the aim was to avoid publicity!

yogi
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

Re: The Double

#2 Post by yogi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:35 am

No embargo in Manchester, maybe I was just still processing what I saw.

I didn't win a competition but used a code I had to see the film and live feed of the Q&A.

Anyway I really wanted to like the film, I'm a big fan of Richard Ayoade and loved Submarine but really didn't like this.

He talked a great film during the Q&A and there's a great look and sound design to the film and plenty of ideas, but the deliberately unreal setting (apparently like a '50s vision of the future that never existed') and the constant stream of cameos from the likes of Tim Key, Sally Hawkins and the rest of the Submarine gang probably helped keep me at a distance and I didn't really engage with the dramatic part of the story.

And the comedy wasn't really as 'hilarious' as the posters promised, it's quirky and interesting and sometimes works well, but overall it did feel a long 90 minutes.

I hope plenty of others like it as you can see the craft and detail on screen but sadly it didn't do it for me 4/10
Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2021" club 2 down 98 to go
(Hopefully I can beat last years 12! Unlikely to beat 2013’s 91)

2021: A Quiet Place 2 8.5/10
2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8.5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10

LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

Ms Thrifty

#3 Post by Ms Thrifty » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:02 am

Pleased to see a report, Yogi, though obviously sorry that the film wasn't for you. It will be interesting to see what others think. I was keeping a lookout for this film and would have been happy to attend a free preview in innocence, but if others share your view, I shall delete The Double from my list.

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#4 Post by funthing29 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:25 am

Weird and bizarre were my thoughts after watching this last night (and not in a good way). It was not the black comedy I was expecting and there were a few parts I thought were funny and other parts that felt quite pointless. I was left slightly confused by the ending but I assume that was deliberate and is intended to spark discussion.

I was unimpressed with the film so I did not stay for the Q&A. 4/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#5 Post by valda » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:21 am

It reminded me of Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Terry Gilliam and those sorts of influences. RA mentioned The Tenant as being an influence as well. Visually and Aurally it was up there with the best of them. I have to admit the music and sounds were creeping me out a lot.

However, it just wasn't for me. I didn't understand it, didn't know where or when it was set or anything at all.

I stayed for part of the Q&A but he's pretty shy and not a natural interviewee so I went before the audience questions.

Hopefully there is a cult market for that sort of film, and for a second time directing he's done very well.

5/10
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#6 Post by The Sparrow » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:08 pm

I loved Submarine and really like Richard Ayoade too but I hated this film. It started off well enough and kept my interest but was way too weird for my taste. I came away feeling very disappointed.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

scootermcc
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#7 Post by scootermcc » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:19 pm

Weird film that bored me rigid.

Here's my review: www.cinemabang.com

2/10

RAZORBACK
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Enfield, Lee Valley, Wood Green, North Finchley, Hackney, Hatfield, West India Quay & Greenwich

#8 Post by RAZORBACK » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:40 am

Afraid I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I thought this was very decent indeed.

I really liked the trailer for 'Submarine' but found the film itself to be a little bit disappointing so I must admit to being a little bit concerned that a similar scenario would occur with 'The Double' as I thought it's trailer was really good as well.

Thankfully it didn't disappoint in the slightest, it was imaginative, surreal & visually quite Gilliamesque...it was however noticeably superior in overall quality than Terry's more recent releases.

The only criticism I can really make against it is that there's not much more to this movie, excluding the final fifteen or so minutes, than what's already been shown in the trailer.

Overall it gets an 8/10 from me and I think it's well worth taking a chance on (especially if you've got an unlimited card or a spare voucher)...
Free Films Seen (2015) - 30 including Big Hero 6, Birdman, Enemy, Ex Machina, It Follows, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Selma, The Gambler, Two Night Stand, Unbroken, Whiplash & Wild.

Free Films Seen (2014) - 400

Free Films Seen (2013) - 200

On The Horizon: Focus & Project Almanac.

Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2015' club (30 seen, 70 to go)
Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2014' club (100+ seen, 0 to go)

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

#9 Post by Livi92 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:57 am

Found the film really boring and was very disappointed. It certainly didn't live up to expectations and I think marketing it as 'hilarious' is a real over-exaggeration, the funny parts, were few and far between for me.
2/10
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

weirdfilms33
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Anything in central or South London

#10 Post by weirdfilms33 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm utterly confounded at the negative reception that The Double has received on FMUK; it seems that many were expecting something conventional and familiar. I personally think it's an audacious and rather brilliant piece of work. Jesse Eisenberg gives a deeply intelligent and nuanced performance - or should that be performances?! There were some fantastic cameos in addition.

I loved how cine-literate the whole thing was - the influence of Terry Gilliam has been noted everywhere, but I seemed to also notice references to John Boorman's Point Blank and the films of the Nouvelle Vague. The sound design was crashingly industrial, and I actually really admired the indeterminacy of its setting - it lent the story an archetypal and deeply enduring quality. And I did find it funny! There's something innately hilarious about the fact that no-one recognises the physical similarities between the two Doubles, something humorously surreal.

Perhaps it is difficult, what with its ambiguous setting and idiosyncratic style, to engage emotionally with the characters. Yet this is not necessarily a criticism - some of the greatest films ever made don't really ask for such emotional engagement. This isn't one of the greatest films ever made, but it is a remarkable product of a filmmaker with an impressively wide array of cinematic interests, and far far better than people are giving it credit for.

9/10
Go ahead, make my day - by visiting my blog: http://jacobthehobnob.wordpress.com/

Member number 33 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. I saw 32, which is rather delightful.. I beat Mr. Glass on free films but he narrowly inched me out on total films seen.

Member number 33 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. I saw 20, interestingly enough. My more realistic target was to see more free films than TheyCallMeMrGlass. I lost.