Frank

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Frank

#11 Post by Beate » Sun May 04, 2014 4:56 pm

Our usher had a Frank head in his hand when we checked in, but wasn't wearing it as he said it had no slits for the eyes! Apparently someone at Picturehouse had made it. If I'd had my camera on me, I would have taken a picture with OH.

Greenwich was about 100% full in the end, with quite a few people arriving during the trailers and needing assistance from the usher. Why are they doing that? Is it really that difficult to be on time or are they just not bothered about disturbing other people and potentially missing the beginning of the film?

Who is Frank Sidebottom? What has he got to do with this film? This film was about mental illness more than anything, right?

This was weird obviously, but not unwatchable, and strangely hypnotic, even though I didn't like most of the characters. Just about all of them were kind of disturbed.

Nice to see jojojoanne and rawsalsa.

6/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#12 Post by cliveas » Sun May 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Beate wrote:Who is Frank Sidebottom? What has he got to do with this film? This film was about mental illness more than anything, right?
Yes it was and this rather strange film seemed to have very little to do with Frank Sidebottom at all. Other than that it had a character also named Frank and who like him sang in a band, oh and had a large spherical head!

The film credits (yes, I'm one of those strange people that actually reads them) said that the film was inspired by Chris Sievey (who was Frank Sidebottom). It also said that it was based on the newspaper columns of Jon Ronson (who had a screenplay credit) and who sometimes played keyboards for the Frank Sidebottom band.

Chris Sievey was a musician (including with The Freshies) and was also a comedian in character as Frank Sidebottom (below), an aspiring pop star with a large spherical head. I actually liked Sidebottom who had his own television and radio shows and was a guest on many others. Interesting facts include that Mrs Merton started out as his sidekick and Chris Evans was his driver.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#13 Post by alythonian » Sun May 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Edinburgh was almost full this morning.
I was expecting odd and it was odd, but it was sweet and insightful at times and it did deal sensitively with the mental health issues.
I quite liked the music. It was interesting and I was fascinated by the theramin.

Not perhaps the cheeriest for a Sunday morning but I am glad I saw it. Not sure what the Edinburgh Times crowd will make of it on Tuesday given the average age at a screening for them is probably 50plus. I suspect dome will love it but it may be too much for others just with the music!..
Alythonian

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#14 Post by ladams888 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 am

Saw this yesterday in Clapham. I liked the beginning when struggling suburban songwriter, Jon (Domhall Gleeson), was trying to come up with deep and meaningful lyrics while going home from work at which point I thought that we were in for a wonderful quirky British comedy, however it degenerated when he met the rather creepy Frank and his psychotic band members, all of whom appeared to suffer from some form of mental illness.

I therefore didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped. I don't know why Michael Fassbender was in it, given that for 90% of the film, he wore a mask. The music was awful. Would I recommend it? No way. 2/10 from me

jojojoanne
Se7en
Se7en

#15 Post by jojojoanne » Mon May 05, 2014 11:27 am

Saw this yesterday at Greenwich Picturehouse. It wasn't a great film. I sort of enjoyed it, but at the same time was glad when it was over!

Was nice to see Beate and OH. And was pleased to meet rawsalsa!!

LondonCityNights
Phase IV
Phase IV

#16 Post by LondonCityNights » Mon May 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Well I dug it, though with some reservations. I thought the protagonist, Jon was an annoying, talentless idiot - but then that's the point. Neatly summarised the dangers of ego in artistic expression. Also I dug the soundtrack and my crush on Maggie Gyllenhaal has only intensified: "Don't touch my f*cking theremin!".

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2014/05 ... amson.html

4/5*
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2014" club 122 seen 8O
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" club 100 seen :sunglasses:
http://www.londoncitynights.com - in depth film (and theatre, art, music etc) reviews.

mupton
The Third Man
The Third Man

#17 Post by mupton » Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 pm

cliveas wrote:
Beate wrote:Who is Frank Sidebottom? What has he got to do with this film? This film was about mental illness more than anything, right?
Yes it was and this rather strange film seemed to have very little to do with Frank Sidebottom at all. Other than that it had a character also named Frank and who like him sang in a band, oh and had a large spherical head!

The film credits (yes, I'm one of those strange people that actually reads them) said that the film was inspired by Chris Sievey (who was Frank Sidebottom). It also said that it was based on the newspaper columns of Jon Ronson (who had a screenplay credit) and who sometimes played keyboards for the Frank Sidebottom band.

Chris Sievey was a musician (including with The Freshies) and was also a comedian in character as Frank Sidebottom (below), an aspiring pop star with a large spherical head. I actually liked Sidebottom who had his own television and radio shows and was a guest on many others. Interesting facts include that Mrs Merton started out as his sidekick and Chris Evans was his driver.

Jon Ronson who co-wrote the screenplay was briefly the keyboard player in Sievey/Sidebottom's band (replacing Mark Ratcliffe). In effect, Gleeson's character is Ronson, at the centre of the film as 'he' was through Ewan McGregor's character in 'The men who stare at goats' (he wrote the book on which the film is based).

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#18 Post by kevinknapman » Tue May 06, 2014 9:59 am

Saw the UK premiere of this at Sundance London and for a second time on Sunday at the Gate Cinema.
As expected, having first seen the trailer there a few weeks ago, I bloody loved Frank.

Weird, wonderful, very funny and oddly touching. Michael Fassbender works wonders beneath the fibreglass head and Domhnall Gleeson continues to show he's one of the finest young actors around at the moment (even if he is playing a slightly annoying character). Great support too from the always excellent Scoot McNairy and Maggie Gyllenhaal.

True to the spirit of Frank Sidebottom and his approach to musical expression it left me with a stupid grin on my face for 90-odd minutes. Oh and I also loved the soundtrack and will be downloading it as soon as it's available. If it weren't for the screening of The Two Faces of January, I'd be tempted to go and see it for a third time tonight.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

yogi
Se7en
Se7en

#19 Post by yogi » Thu May 08, 2014 12:36 am

Well these were the two ladies who greeted us in Manchester at the Cornerhouse tonight and things didn't get much more normal after that.

We all had a Frank mask on our seat and were asked to wear it for a group photo before the film, hope it gets posted somewhere cos I'd love to see it and share it on here.

I was a bit wary that the film might be extremely irritating or annoying or just odd for the sake of it, but I thought it was great.

It's really funny without being a full on comedy and you do relate to Frank even though he has a big paper mâché head on the whole time.

Although it explores artistic expression and mental illness it's actually very entertaining whilst doing it. It may look weird but I'd say give it a chance.

Very likeable! 8/10
Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2021" club 2 down 98 to go
(Hopefully I can beat last years 12! Unlikely to beat 2013’s 91)

2021: A Quiet Place 2 8.5/10
2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8.5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10

LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

lemondrop
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich, West India Quay, Central London

#20 Post by lemondrop » Thu May 08, 2014 9:36 pm

I loved, loved, loved this film! Like kevinknapman I also had "a stupid grin on my face" throughout. It was delightfully eccentric, funny and warm, and the final piece of music is still ringing around somewhere in my head!
I'll definitely will be giving this a second viewing very soon.
Go on, give Frank a go... 8/10