Discuss movies (including free films)
Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

Re: The Hundred-Foot Journey

#11 Post by Yinster » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Back from Glasgow Quay where they used Screen 11 which is huge compared to the small screen they always used.

Having been the fourth film I saw this week this was the poorest of the poor but on it's own I think it would have been better. Definitely should have ended when they were celebrating the milestone but alas it continued for another 30 miles.

Some really funny lines from people especially Papa but the story was pretty shallow. Plus the rest of the family except Hassan didn't really developed. How on earth did the two youngest siblings didn't grow in the three or so years of the story? Helen Mirren whilst good could easily have been done by a French actress. And kept thinking the actress playing Margaret was a very young Winona Ryder.
fredolac wrote:Excellent movie. Didnt know anything about it before the preview of today and was really happily surprised.
Maybe the new Slumdog millionaire ;)
Nah I think that would be Million Dollar Arm not this. I still prefer The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to this.

6/10
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#12 Post by raj101 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:52 pm

Somewhat restrained gentle comedy, great concept for a story and some great potential for gags, but sadly it just didn't materialise or gel. Shame, a wasted opportunity.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

lisapip
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#13 Post by lisapip » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 am

what a well made film,a very good story...love it
8.5/10

umral
Air Force One
Air Force One

#14 Post by umral » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 am

Twaddle. But good-looking twaddle.

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

#15 Post by Livi92 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:32 am

Loved this film, really heart-warming story, perfect for a Sunday morning. The acting was good, and I like the slow-burning romances going on in the background.

All the fabulous food being served up, really did make me hungry though. The food looked out of this world, and so being a massive foodie, I was itching to sample some of the incredible dishes.

7/10
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

deepeecee
Air Force One
Air Force One

#16 Post by deepeecee » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:34 am

We’ve had a few films this year using food as a metaphor to provoke audience reaction. The Hundred Foot Journey continues the sensual theme but adds some ravishing warm visuals and a charming, if predictable, storyline.

karenlg123
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort, Glasgow Showcase Baillieston and Paisley

#17 Post by karenlg123 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:52 pm

This was a good wee Sunday morning film. Pretty predictable but nonetheless enjoyable. It did last a bit long tho and some of the scenes could have been shortened without any detrimental effect on the movie or the storyline. Good enough acting but nothing award winning. Yes it's worth watching.

Word of advice if going to see this movie, make sure you have eaten first as watching the preparation of the different dishes had my stomach grumbling about half way into the movie!

6/10

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#18 Post by Beate » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Kinda nice but also sickly sweet. All this talk about food being compared to life or having soul bored me. I am not a fan of Indian food nor of fancy dining or nouvelle cuisine so the food didn't grab me as much it could have. Also, why not have subtitles instead of starting in French then repeating it in English? There was a really ludicrous scene in the restaurant where everyone's favourite French woman Helen Mirren made one of her chefs recite the Marseillaise then said "In English please, so we can all understand." Now I love the French (and their food) but one thing they are not is bothered about others understanding them. They were French people in a French restaurant, who needs to understand? Oh of course, us the audience. :rolleyes:
The acting was good though and it was quite funny but the story seemed a bit unsubstantial and also felt too long. I am sure you could have trimmed 30 minutes of this.

Also, Odeon Greenwich really need to get their act together. Apparently some people could b*y tickets for this film, I am guessing with Odeon points, and were thus entitled to sit in the Premiere rows. Trouble is, no one told the rest of us. We got in very early and sat in the last row, and so did others. Then after a while an usher walked in and asked to see our tickets. I said they are downstairs where we gave them to the usher. "Showfilmfirst tickets?" "Yes." "Then you need to move for the people who have booked the premiere seats." "I don't think so", I said. "SFF usually means you can sit anywhere. If you think this isn't so you should have said so at the beginning, not 40 minutes later when there are no good seats left. There is no way we are going to the shit seats now." Luckily he backed off after my speech and mumbled that it was ok. I have no problem sitting two rows further down if I am told at the beginning, but not when the film is due to start and the only seats left are in the front row!

7/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#19 Post by Sunny Saver » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Beate wrote:There is no way we are going to the shit seats now." Luckily he backed off..

7/10
I'd back off too if you'd threatened to 'shit seats'. :mrgreen:

Noorjahapatel
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

#20 Post by Noorjahapatel » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 pm

I liked it. It was funny and very Indian :-)
Member number 15 of the "100 free films in 2015 club" 39 seen +7 theatre, in 2016 25 seen + 2 theatre, in 2017 5 seen

2016 film scores viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33059&p=375748#p375748

2017 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34449&p=387412#p387412

2018 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35683&p=396164#p396164

Cinemas in order of preference: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

I have not got tickets for anything at the moment. Hoping for some more soon.