Pride

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Pride

#21 Post by Beate » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:08 pm

kevinknapman wrote:
Beate wrote: But I can't find the guy who played Sian's husband and I know I've seen him before! Help!
Rhodri Meilir. I'm guessing it was dodgy sitcom My Family you probably saw him in.
Oh my God, of course! He was Alfie! o/
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#22 Post by asamaic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 pm

Saw this at a packed out screening at the Framestore with mostly BBC and ITV folk. Always forget how much I like that place as a venue. o/

Was considering not going but I read the comments here and dragged myself along. Really glad I did. o/ Plenty of laughs and a very moving film. Having a heart of ice, I didn't need to get the hankies out, but I did hear some sniffling. ;)

Out of interest, how much of this was fictionalised and how much was true? I'm only a baby, I wasn't alive for most of the film.
Spoiler
Show
The news footage was obviously borrowed, but were there seriously 'awareness' adverts like that back in the day with creepy horror movie music?
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#23 Post by stuartboy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 pm

asamaic wrote:
Spoiler
Show
The news footage was obviously borrowed, but were there seriously 'awareness' adverts like that back in the day with creepy horror movie music?
You bet! Complete with creepy voiceovers and gravestones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnb536WuC0
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#24 Post by alythonian » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm

stuartboy wrote:
asamaic wrote:
Spoiler
Show
You bet! Complete with creepy voiceovers and gravestones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMnb536WuC0
Yes, I remember that advert and remembered it as soon as it came on in the film.
Alythonian

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#25 Post by asamaic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:32 pm

Wow. That was an eye opener.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

#26 Post by Cortone » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:59 pm

kevinknapman wrote:
McG wrote: I suspect that the media of the 1980s was not as liberal as it is today! :p
It amused me no end that the Sun hosted a screening of the film considering they were the newspaper responsible for the 'Pits and Perverts' headline.
Exactly!!!

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

#27 Post by Cortone » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 pm

Deserted at Bradford, but that could be due to the roads being in gridlock. Why use inaccessible cinemas? Do they not check out when there are long term traffic problems?

TBH - was not expecting much this hooked me, not all the time (not 10/10), but I thought it was fascinating and the 80s music helped. (Stayed to watch all the music listings.)

Was amazed at how little I knew of this, as I recall seeing police blocking the motorways, but NONE of what was in the film. Maybe I did....not read the paper, but am a news junkie. Did News International hide these stories at the time?

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

Pride

#28 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:27 pm

What a great time I had last night at the premiere at Odeon Camden and after party at the Electric Ballroom.

The stars had already arrived by the time I reached Odeon Camden after work at 6ish. They were having photo shoots just inside the entrance, although one or two came outside for a photo too, and then once upstairs more photo shoots. There seems to be several screenings, elski and livi was in screen 1 the main big one, rawsalsa, her friend, my OH and I were in screen 4 and funthing and c-t was in screen 3. Saw Bill Nighy, Jim Carter (Downtown Abbey), Holly Johnson (When Frankie Goes to Hollywood), Jade Ellis (X Factor finalist), Andrew Scott (Sherlock).

Such a fun, witty, exuberant, heartwarming and moving film, and great performances all round. Loved Bill Nighy as Cliff the older miner, so funny and sweet. Ben Schnetzer who played Mark Ashton nearly b*ght a tear to my eyes. A bit of history in the making. An excellent story of empathy and solidarity. Very well told. Would love to see it again. 10/10

They recreated the Perts and Perverts fundraising concert with Bronski Beat at the Electric Ballroom for the after party and the surprise guest was Jimmy Sommerville from Bronski Beat! What a great party, great music, endless drinks, and endless food (toad in the hole, cornish pasties, chicken and ale pie, scotch eggs, and quiches). We danced until they put the lights came on. Chatted to Bill Nighy, Liz White (Life on Mars), Stephen Mangan (Green Wing) he is so funny, some of the cast, Kyle Rees (from Emmerdale and Carl in Pride), Jessica Gunning (who played Siân James in Pride before she was MP of Swansea East), and the actor who played her husband.

Some snaps

Interviews with the real people:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/au ... -interview
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#29 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Ooh, I didn't know there was a thread already, sorry!
kevinknapman wrote:
Beate wrote: But I can't find the guy who played Sian's husband and I know I've seen him before! Help!
Rhodri Meilir. I'm guessing it was dodgy sitcom My Family you probably saw him in.
Thank you kevinnapman! Ranking my brain all evening. He was so friendly, we had a lovely chat and then he was on the dance floor next to us!
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

karenlg123
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort, Glasgow Showcase Baillieston and Paisley

#30 Post by karenlg123 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 am

IMHO this is one of the best films of the year so far. Having read the synopsis before going I wasn't sure it would be an awfully appealing film but I was so wrong. Loved the film. It was funny,sad, light hearted, serious, all at once. All the actors portrayed their characters really well and quite a number of genuine laugh out louds. Would have been more than happy to p*y to see this and have already recommended it to several people who didn't fancy the sound of it. I too remember the miner's strike but not this particular part of it. It would have been great if it was fiction but the fact that it was true made it even better.

9/10