Before I Go To Sleep

Discuss movies (including free films)
valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

Re: Before I Go To Sleep

#11 Post by valda » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:49 am

scooby wrote:I enjoyed this, kinda old school Hitchcock type thriller, seemed about the right length.
Only gripe was the man behind removed his shoes and they were on the level with my nose, so particulary pungent smell throughout.
I would have blasted him, have done so before with people taking shoes off :nono: :evil:

I was hugely disappointed with this. In fact I tried to fall asleep but the 'jumpy music' kept on waking me. I couldn't see any twists, there were so many plot holes, and unlikely things happening I wanted to laugh. Only good thing was the
Spoiler
Show
male leads playing against type
2/10
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

cheekyweelassie
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Empire Walthamstow, Odeon South Woodford, Odeon Lee Valley or weekday evenings at Millbank, central London

#12 Post by cheekyweelassie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:01 am

I really enjoyed this. I had seen the trailer, but thankfully it hadn't given too much away. I was a bit nervous that this was going to be a scary film, but it was more suspense than horror with music and editing to match.

I felt like the audience is taken on a ride along with Nicole Kidman's character as she tries to figure out who to trust and what is going on. I anticipated a couple of the twists and turns, but not everything so it was exciting when I was taken by surprise.

I liked the fact that the film was short. I never felt bored, and I didn't feel like it took time to get going as I was interested in the back story from the start. I thought all the performances were excellent.

The ending was a bit weird. I was almost waiting for yet another twist that didn't come, so it felt a bit flat when the end credits started to roll and I realised that was it.

Very grateful to be offered tickets to this. 8/10.

PeachyLollipop
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: West End, Westfield Stratford city, Islington, Wood Green

#13 Post by PeachyLollipop » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:32 am

I read the book over a year ago and I really really enjoyed it. Having found out it was to become a movie, I just had to see it!

Enjoyed the movie and the acting (though I couldn't stop looking at Nicole Kidman's botoxed lips - very Anna Faris-esq) but it was nowhere near as good as the book.

7.5/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 47/100 Seen

Scores
2013 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21969&p=268158#p268158
2014 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26885&p=324444#p324444

cliveas
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#14 Post by cliveas » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 am

Was disappointed with this. It was made well enough, there just wasn't enough to the story for me. A shame because it was very good conceptually but then seemed satisfied to rehash other movies in changed formats.

claire
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: westfieldlondon /shepherds bush / hammersmith/ wandsworth/whitleys/ west end / wimbledon

#15 Post by claire » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:56 am

Was so looking forward to this but it failed terribly
Altough I didn't expect the twist that happened (I was convinced it was going a different way)
The beginning dragged
Middle was ok.
But last 5 mins was ghastly
3/10
Member 58 of the "100 free films in 2013" club
64seen 36 to go

member No.58 of the "100 free films in 2012" club
57 seen
Member No. 64 of the "100 free films in 2011" club.

umral
Air Force One
Air Force One

#16 Post by umral » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Around halfway through, Nicole Kidman’s accent slips, and for ten seconds she sounds precisely like Maggie Gyllenhaal in ‘The Honourable Woman’.

Otherwise the acting is exemplary, the direction efficient, the tone atmospheric, the running time commendably short, and the film utterly traduced by the obvious twist and the gaping plot holes.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#17 Post by canadian_turtle » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:46 pm

My enjoyment was hampered by having read the book first. It was a few years ago and I thought I wouldn't remember but within the first few minutes I knew who the good guys were and who wasn't. This meant I saw all twists coming from miles off and it just wasn't as much fun as going in not knowing what crazy direction the story would take next. I also felt there were too many "cheap" thrills by putting up the volume of the music and letting Kidman's character cross a street without looking out for traffic (is she an idiot on top of being amnesia?!). Having said all that, I could definitely see how exciting and unexpected this movie would be for someone who is unfamiliar with the story going in. While Kidman didn't particularly impress (partly due to the character), both Firth and Strong were very good indeed. 6.5/10
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

jcolombi
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Coventry, Birmingham, Leamington

#18 Post by jcolombi » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm going to have to agree with cheekyweelassie great review!

8/10
A horse walks into a bar and the bartender asks, "Why the long face?"

A pony walks into the bar and whispers, "I'll have a beer, please." The barkeeper asks, "Why are you whispering?".
"I'm a little hoarse."

newdot
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#19 Post by newdot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Awful. 6 people in the screening & thats on an orange wednesday.

Total snooze-fest. Acting was uniformly dreary, from all 4 actors who I quite like.

Avoid.

4/10