MANAKAMANA

Discuss movies (including free films)
vealster
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

MANAKAMANA

#1 Post by vealster » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:50 pm

Saw this this morning at the picture house in Hackney hands down the dullest film anyone could see in their life.

Some people are filmed on a cable car in Nepal mostly doing and saying nothing and err that's about it really!

Myself and half the rest of the audience left early. Avoid.

0/10

missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

Re: MANAKAMANA

#2 Post by missgotty » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 am

Like watching paint dry, repetitive and easily the most boring film of 2014.

0/10

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#3 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:52 am

I thought at least there would be stunning scenery and possibly sightings of some creatures. How wrong was I. Dull barely describes this.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

RevKeith39
The Third Man
The Third Man

#4 Post by RevKeith39 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:28 pm

Thought I would hate this. The premise sounds ridiculous. And for the first 30 minutes I was proved right. Several people walked out and my wife and I were getting ready........but then we watched a goats arse for about 15 minutes (no, really) and we were hooked! So glad we stayed. It became fascinating and the scene where an old lady was trying to eat a melting icecream was touching and hilarious. This was a film that stayed long in the memory, far longer than some films that I loved at first but then struggled to recall. There's a lesson there.
Member No. 31 of 100 free films club 2015. 27 seen 73 to go.

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#5 Post by stuartboy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:59 pm

I went knowing what I was going to see. Stayed the full 2 hours. Didn't sleep (whereas dosed through Testicles of Youth earlier in evening). No other walk outs in Edinburgh either. Strangely hypnotic and mesmerising. Was starting to get a little bored until the old guy pulled his cock out! Luckily this was a live chicken which I think was to be sacrificed in the temple. Then the goats appeared. They were priceless. Hoping they were just tourists too, and not lambs to the slaughter. This has to be one of the Marmitiest films I've seen in a long time.
Not sure how to mark this film as the scenery did its own thing. There was not cinematography. No script. No acting. No story. No beginning, middle or end. It was simply a moving picture postcard, but one that didn't outstay its welcome.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#6 Post by The Sparrow » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:50 am

stuartboy wrote:I went knowing what I was going to see. Stayed the full 2 hours. Didn't sleep (whereas dosed through Testicles of Youth earlier in evening). No other walk outs in Edinburgh either. Strangely hypnotic and mesmerising. Was starting to get a little bored until the old guy pulled his cock out! Luckily this was a live chicken which I think was to be sacrificed in the temple. Then the goats appeared. They were priceless. Hoping they were just tourists too, and not lambs to the slaughter. This has to be one of the Marmitiest films I've seen in a long time.
Not sure how to mark this film as the scenery did its own thing. There was not cinematography. No script. No acting. No story. No beginning, middle or end. It was simply a moving picture postcard, but one that didn't outstay its welcome.
I have bad news for you about the goats. :cry:
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#7 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:35 am

I went to see this at an ourscreen screening at Stratford East Picturehouse last night

I saw the trailer and thought it looked interesting. A fly on the wall documentary or rather a fly in the cable car going up and down a spectacular mountain in Nepal to the Manakamana Temple. Unfortunately, it did not live up to the trailer or its blurb, as it started off quite dull, but strangely you get hooked as you get drawn into these people who were travelling on it.

There is not much action, as expected in a cable car where you are told to keep seated and not lean out etc, as you watch people travel up and down. However, I felt they were very self conscious and a little tense of the camera being there and so it did not feel natural if they were trying to be natural.

Each journey takes about 8-9 minutes, and can get quite slow and boring when they do not even chat to each other, but just ride the cable car. Take the grandfather and grandson, they seem either very worried to be on the cable car up so high that they hardly moved or utter a word, or is it because the camera was watching them. I can understand how nerving wracking that could be if you have height anxiety too, as cable cars do swing at the slightest movement! The three bar musicians, who kept touching their lustrous long, long hair, trying not to be self conscious, and taking selfies. Then the two girl tourists, took some time to relax before letting their guard down a bit to chat about her camera and being able to get a roll of film (thought these were obsolete with digital cameras) and discussing about taking a long time to sort out their photos.

There was some comic relief from the two women eating ice cream, with one having a plastic bag to catch the melting ice cream, and the other struggling, as she had to make do with the wrapping and her clothes, and the two musicians who did an impromptu performance with their string instrument.

One couple was quite interesting though, with the man holding an offering and all you could see was a pair of chicken's feet sticking upwards, and the couple would point out the hills, the new houses, and the old paths where the people before would have taken days to trek to the temple before the cable car was built.

If you like people watching, then this is it, but with the beautiful landscape in the background. It is a shame the camera stays static pointing at the passengers and you never see what they see and the actual temple that they are visiting. The film is shot in one continuous shot so no editing of boring bits and it shows! 4/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

RAZORBACK
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Enfield, Lee Valley, Wood Green, North Finchley, Hackney, Hatfield, West India Quay & Greenwich

#8 Post by RAZORBACK » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:27 pm

I thought this was certainly different to the norm but did find it quite hard work at times.

The scenery was nice & it did feel like I was actually in the cable car but some of my fellow passengers were more interesting than others (my personal favourites were the goats).

Overall it was an interesting experiment but definitely not something I'd ever want to revisit in the future so it only gets a 5/10 from me...
Free Films Seen (2015) - 30 including Big Hero 6, Birdman, Enemy, Ex Machina, It Follows, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Selma, The Gambler, Two Night Stand, Unbroken, Whiplash & Wild.

Free Films Seen (2014) - 400

Free Films Seen (2013) - 200

On The Horizon: Focus & Project Almanac.

Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2015' club (30 seen, 70 to go)
Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2014' club (100+ seen, 0 to go)