MORTDECAI

Discuss movies (including free films)
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

MORTDECAI

#1 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:41 am

Thank you ritamistry for taking me to see this.

Quite a low key premiere on Monday evening, the whole place was boarded up so you could not see the red carpet or the pen areas from outside. On the red carpet, I walked past Johnny Depp and Paul Bettany but was not allowed to stop by security and then ushered into the Empire IMAX.

The head of something or other from Lionsgate by the name of Dizzy introduced a whole crop of crew in the audience asking them to stand up as he read their names out, and we were told to applaud them continuously, after which he then introduced the cast, namely Johnny Depp and Paul Bettany who came on the stage for a split second and then they were gone!

Sadly, the film was not all that good, just far fetched slapstick, that is not all that funny. Do not know what all the hooha about Johnny Depp is about. However, Gwyneth Paltrow was amusing.

5/10
Spoiler
Show
Could not understand why they had to switch the painting they were selling for the Goya which they are not selling, and then they were foiled in doing so anyway.
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

Re: MORTDECAI

#2 Post by EthanRunt » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 am

I had a lot of fun with this one, sometimes rough but a lot of gold in there too. Many laughs.
Spoiler
Show
They were trying to get rid of the painting to get the capital they needed to keep their house in order, the backtaxes, but if they sold the painting as is, which was not verified by the auction house, it would be a notable moment that would call attention to them and get the law involved, as it is a painting that by rights belongs to a museum and is not theirs to sell. The bait and switch and switch stuff is a mix of them trying to be greedy billionaires and having a sense of justice, to some extent, and conscience.