Sunshine Cleaning

Discuss movies (including free films)
a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Sunshine Cleaning

#1 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:50 pm

A single mom and her slacker sister find an unexpected way to turn their lives around in the off-beat dramatic comedy Sunshine Cleaning. Directed by Christine Jeffs ("Rain," "Sylvia"), this uplifting film about an average family that finds the path to its dreams in an unlikely setting screened in competition at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. Once the high school cheerleading captain who dated the quarterback, Rose Lorkowski (Amy Adams) now finds herself a thirty something single mother working as a maid. Her sister Norah, (Emily Blunt), is still living at home with their dad Joe (Alan Arkin), a salesman with a lifelong history of ill-fated get rich quick schemes. Desperate to get her son into a better school, Rose persuades Norah to go into the crime scene clean-up business with her to make some quick cash. In no time, the girls are up to their elbows in murders, suicides and other... specialized situations. As they climb the ranks in a very dirty job, the sisters find a true respect for one another and the closeness they have always craved finally blossoms. By building their own improbable business, Rose and Norah open the door to the joys and challenges of being there for one another—no matter what—while creating a brighter future for the entire Lorkowski family.

Trailer:
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Re: Sunshine Cleaning

#2 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:03 pm

I think this was a rating of 6.5/10 for me.

Very depressing movie...

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)

mdweaver
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Beckenham Odeon, Bromley Odeon, but any London cinema considered!

#3 Post by mdweaver » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:34 am

Saw this in the free films thread, stating they are noon screenings - but the listings in the message and the SFF website itself state they are 12:00 AM (i.e. midnight) - anyone know if this is correct or a mistake?

http://www.seefilmfirst.com

Camden Town, ODEON Tuesday 23 Jun 12.00 AM
Holloway, ODEON Tuesday 23 Jun 12.00 AM
Kingston upon Thames, ODEON Tuesday 23 Jun 12.00 AM
Richmond, ODEON Tuesday 23 Jun 12.00 AM
Wimbledon, London, ODEON Tuesday 23 Jun 12.00 AM
Member 47 of the "100 free films in 2011" Club - 15 seen
Member 47 of the "100 free films in 2010" club - 31 seen
Member 47 of the "100 free films in 2009" club - 38 seen.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2

#4 Post by a_person » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 am

There was alot of discussion about this in the old sight about what noon is defined as. I don't know what the conclusion was. I forgot. :|

I think alot of people said it was a mid-day (12pm) show rather than a 12am showing at night. Like I said though, I forgot so don't quote me on it! :Embarrassed:

If you have a pair of tickets for this showing then your best bet would be to call the cinema it is showing at and ask the manager there what time the showing is due to be.

Preferred cinema list:

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#5 Post by Beate » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:46 am

Regarding ejwrank's new code from the Guardian:
Before people rush out to b*y the Guardian, please remember there have been codes for this before and the cinema ushers have absolutely no way of knowing which code you used so can't possibly force you to show a Guardian page for a specific code!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 1 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Boomshine

#6 Post by Boomshine » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:31 pm

I went to a screening of Sunshine Cleaning on the 16th at Cineworld Milton Keynes and the screen was one of the fullest I have seen at a free preview which was a surprise. I went in expecting something extremely similar to Little Miss Sunshine and that is what I came out feeling I got however this wasn't as good. The general vibe from over hearing conversation was that it was well received and is well worth a look. The funniest moment by far was the face plant onto the mattress :P.

7/10

venisa7
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by venisa7 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:26 am

I'm sure others got an email from SFF in regards to the 23rd June screening but I could not already see it mentioned here. The email states that the screening is indeed at Tuesday midday/lunchtime.

If anyone wants to see a copy of the email, I can post it in here. Hope that helps! o/

alantiam

#8 Post by alantiam » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:16 pm

What a beautiful film! Highly recommend!

Dave
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 13
Preferred Cinemas: Birmingham VUE, Cineworld, Showcase, Odeon & Solihull Cineworld
Birthday

#9 Post by Dave » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:47 pm

I thought this film was alright, 6/10 for me, it was OK but nothing special...
Dave, 18, Birmingham

Films seen in 2009: 20
So far this year: 10 (The Lovely Bones, Everybodys Fine, Phillip Morris, Happy Ever Afters, Kick Ass, Dear John, Hot Tub Time Machine, Death at the Funeral, Step Up 3D, The Sorcerers Apprentice)
Due: The Last Exorcism, The Switch, Going the Distance, Made in Dagenham....

See my 2010 scores, click here.

jenster

#10 Post by jenster » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Saw this film today at Exeter Picturehouse - was surprised how empty the screening was considering the ticket booking stated it was meant to be full! I really enjoyed this movie - great performances and some quite funny moments however also quite depressing in places. 7/10 for me.