Discuss movies (including free films)
baty
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: cardiff vue, odeon, cineworld, swansea odeon, vue, bridgend

Re: Steve Jobs

#11 Post by baty » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:28 pm

I loved it OH hated it. Thought Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs was brilliant and it took a while to recognise Kate Winslet... hadn't read up on this deliberately! Had seen Arachnophobia over the weekend and was nudging OH to say who he was, thought he did a good job as the man who 'fired' Steve Jobs. It kept me entertained, didn't even notice 2 hrs.

On the down side we sat behind a person who just stank, we see him at these events and try to avoid but no chance last night.
No. 39 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen 93 to go personal goal, 25 for films this year

My films 216 23, 2015 29 2014 26, 2013 47, 2012 58, 2011 43, 2010 54 2009 32

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#12 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:32 pm

baty wrote:I loved it OH hated it. Thought Michael Fassbender as Steve Jobs was brilliant and it took a while to recognise Kate Winslet... hadn't read up on this deliberately! Had seen Arachnophobia over the weekend and was nudging OH to say who he was, thought he did a good job as the man who 'fired' Steve Jobs. It kept me entertained, didn't even notice 2 hrs.

On the down side we sat behind a person who just stank, we see him at these events and try to avoid but no chance last night.
I have this problem on the bus sometimes, usually they stink of cigarettes or weed. I get out my perfume (not particularly expensive) and spray it so that smell gets in my nose and is in the air. It helps.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

nosila50
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh, Livingston, Dunfermline

#13 Post by nosila50 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Saw this last night at the Telegraph showing in Edinburgh. Packed house so cannot see why they don't offer more up here for their Scottish readers.

Anyway on to the movie. I found this to be interesting and a more detailed insight into Steve Jobs than the film that had Ashton Kutcher playing him. Saying that I am glad I saw that film before this as I had a bit of background otherwise I may have found this less enjoyable. Michael Fassbender was excellent and convincing especially when we got to him in the more recognisable guise with the glasses. Cannot believe he had such little interest in his daughter and was just completely consumed in producing the ultimate computer. Certainly worth a watch but not compelling. 7/10
Member No. 50 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 7 seen!
Member No. 50, in 2018" club. 29 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2017” club. 31 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2016" club. 36 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2015" club. 22 seen.

Bluebell
Air Force One
Air Force One

#14 Post by Bluebell » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:06 am

I saw this last night at Cribbs Causeway Bristol. Excellent casting with Michael Fassbender taking the lead role. Kate Winslet was very convincing - I didn't recognise her until half an hour into the film. There were some poignant moments between Jobs and Lisa.

Although the film ran for 2 hours it didn't drag or seem overly long. A must see for fans of the Apple brand. I would recommend this film 8/10

cheekyweelassie
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Empire Walthamstow, Odeon South Woodford, Odeon Lee Valley or weekday evenings at Millbank, central London

#15 Post by cheekyweelassie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Oh - it was Kate Winslett! Doh!

Saw this at the Telegraph preview at Millbank. It was packed.

The two hours seemed to fly by. I thought this was utterly absorbing, and it just shouldn't be, but it is. I thought the device of using the product launches was a really engaging alternative to a standard chronological history. I just wished it had carried on longer to bring us closer to modern day. I wouldn't have minded a longer running time at all, and I rarely think that.

I thought the performances were excellent. I didn't care a jot that Michael Fassbended doesn't look much like Steve Jobs - it's not Stars In Their Eyes!

As many others have said, the dialogue is really snappy and clever. It's true that at times it didn't flow like a normal conversation, but maybe we should all start speaking like a Sorkin script and conversations could be a lot more interesting.

I'm sure this won't be everyone's cup of tea, so I won't be recommending it to everyone, but I thought it was ace.

9/10

Momo2007

#16 Post by Momo2007 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:14 pm

I enjoyed watching it from start to finish without feeling bored. Now I know why he wanted it to be a closed system...

ronglum
Air Force One
Air Force One

#17 Post by ronglum » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:54 pm

I was not expecting to love this film, but I did. Script screenplay and direction all good. Have also seen Fassbender in Macbeth this year, so a great year for him. Shoe in for the Oscar BA, but for which film?