Discuss movies (including free films)
RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

#11 Post by RandomHajile » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:44 am

and laser imax 3d (dual 4k laser projectors) at empire leicester sq london and Sheffield cineworld.

which has better sound than the 70mm prints, 7.1 vs 12 channel imax sound, and in theory better colour.

marcusn4017
Air Force One
Air Force One

#12 Post by marcusn4017 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:23 am

Just saw this film at the IMAX premiere in Waterloo. It had a free bar and light canopies before the film, as well as an introduction by director Zack Snyder.
I for one enjoyed Man Of Steel, and thought this was a great sequel and a great set up to Justice League. I recommend not watching any trailers as the surprises are great. I definitely recommend seeing it in IMAX too. Some scenes were shot in it and Zack said himself that it's the best way to see the film.
7.5/10
Member #7 of The 100 Free Films in 2018 Club
Films seen: 30 (including unlimited) 9 (not including)

Member #7 of The 100 Free Films in 2017 Club
Films seen: 243 (including unlimited) 89 (not including)

2018 Ratings
2017 Ratings
2016 Ratings

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#13 Post by tonethestone » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:46 pm

Wow what a letdown, although with Snyder directing I wasn't surprised there was little backbone to the film other than a mess of CGI. The end battle with Batman & Superman is a just a complete mess. Affleck is good at Batman, on the other hand Eisenberg as Luthor is very poor, so ott.

This is the sort of film that in time will be given 1* across the board, for those that like action films with no solid story you'll like, the rest, really bad.

1.5/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

chris byrne

Batman Vs Superman

#14 Post by chris byrne » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am

With all these mixed reviews of the Batman Vs Superman film, who's still pumped to see it?
I for one still think it could be fun.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#15 Post by raj101 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:41 pm

part of me is so glad that Snyder/Eisenberg have created a turkey (albeit one full of firecrackers again) because these fools deserve it for pysing on one of the greatest superhero showdowns, but also immensely saddened that such an opportunity for a superhero movie with depth (DKR is one of the few Batman comics with a shoal of political and moral messages to take home) has been utterly wasted.

Probably wise to simply skip the hopelessly lame attempt at exposition at the beginning, and turn up for the megascrap later. And leave before DD improbably arrives (such an utterly crud idea to introduce him).

And seriously why in the galaxy is Lex being played like the Joker?

0 stars for movie
4 stars for the fight sequence
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#16 Post by raj101 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:50 pm

was forced into a 2nd showing of this under the guise of a questionable birthday gift. hmm.

on 2nd viewing, movie improves, in light of me knowing when to close my eyes or run off for a toilet break whenever Lex Jnr/Esenberg comes on screen.

Also worth mentioning that the showdown wasn't the only partially redeeming feature. There was a particularly excellent dream sequence where batman imagines he is morally unrestricted, and physically resembles the Frank Miller more flabby, squat DKR version of Batman in costume and appearance - a rare moment of genius in the movie! Affleck does well to carry that hunched, hulking 1980s Miller batman both in and out of costume.

Saldy the rest of the cast apart from Irons and Fishbourne are just as terrible as in MOS, if not more. I cant decide who deserves a good kicking more, Cavill or Adams, for totally ruining their respective roles.

I'd add Doomsday at least looks and comes across like the absolute physical force that Doomsday should be, a decent CGI job. But theres limits to how much CGI you can lay on, and DDs becomes way too HadeanUberWagnerian, you literally leave the cinema feeling exhausted from watching it all.

I'll move it up to 2 stars in light of those few additions.
Last edited by raj101 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

yogi
Se7en
Se7en

#17 Post by yogi » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:00 pm

I had no intention of seeing this, but my cousin wanted to see it so I stepped up and took him to spare everyone else.

It's muddled and boring and it's difficult to follow or care about any of the action scenes and at one point (as I'd read somewhere) it actually feels like a reel is missing or maybe you've slept and missed a bit.

I like the central idea that pits Batman against Superman and the view of Superman which means he's not seen as a whiter than white hero. Unfortunately these are hammered home every 5-10 minutes, no chance of anyone missing the filmmakers intentions and there's so much else going on that this strong idea does get sidelined/lost at times. Basically it's trying to skip what the first 3 or 4 Marvel movies did and jump straight to the Avengers stage and it doesn't pull it off. Love this line from a Guardian article which sums it up nicely
Spoiler
Show
Bruce Wayne opens up Lex Luthor’s computer files and discovers a photo of Wonder Woman from the first world war, plus some trailers for other Warner Bros movies. Luthor even designed logos for all of these movies in Adobe Illustrator. Why does Lex Luthor have four blatant bits of product placement on his computer? Because he’s been maintaining a secret double life as a film publicist. You thought running a multinational corporation while trying to murder an indestructible flying alien was hard? Try selling the Aquaman movie.
Ben Affleck is good as is Jeremy Irons and the big dumb city destroying battle at the end is shorter than MOS so overall 4/10
Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2021" club 2 down 98 to go
(Hopefully I can beat last years 12! Unlikely to beat 2013’s 91)

2021: A Quiet Place 2 8.5/10
2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8.5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10

LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#18 Post by alythonian » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:48 am

Gee this was boring. Affleck was particularly boring. It went a
On and on and really nothing happened, they generally forgot a plot in their efforts to make this grey in colour. They succeeded in making a very grey film in all regards.

3/10
Alythonian

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#19 Post by funthing29 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:12 am

I found this incredibly disjointed. Two superhero stories were shoehorned together without proper backstory or a coherent plot. Far too long, colours were dark and muted plus weak villain and overuse of CGI make this sloppy storytelling and a very disappointing effort after all the hype.
Spoiler
Show
Plus what is the point of "killing" Superman when we already know he is part of the Justice League so is going to be in at least 2 more films? A hollow effort to try and make the finale more emotional.
I also find it incredibly amusing that Metropolis and Gotham are just across the river from each other. Makes commuting much more convenient for Batman. :roll:
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

RickyRaj
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Road, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street, Holloway, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.
I haven't got tickets for: Any

#20 Post by RickyRaj » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Didn't enjoy this. Poor story and felt the film was a let down to the Chris Nolan Batman films. Superman was very wooden as a character. 6/10.
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Rd, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Ave, Odeon Panton St, Holloway Rd, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.