I, Daniel Blake

Discuss movies (including free films)
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

Re: I, Daniel Blake

#21 Post by prettyxcool » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:07 am

A heartbreaking film, really touched me, as I identified with it all. Been there, done it. One of three children from a single mum family (reminded me of my own mum, how lucky we were she managed to get jobs, yes, several jobs in fact, to make a living, the hardships, we lived in one room etc), to being unemployed several times in adult life, job seeking, the red tape, the kindness of strangers, and so on. It is all so accurate, all the frustrations on both sides, all came back to me. Could not stop talking about it for days at work or whomever will listen to me. Take tissues. Everyone should see it. Heartbreaking. 10/10

Never seen a screening at West India Quay so absolutely packed. A large group of people were still coming in when the film started, and then more came in around 10 minutes later! It seems obviously they do not know that there will be no trailers or adverts, and films start on the dot at free screenings. :shifty:
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#22 Post by McG » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:50 pm

So glad I managed to catch a preview of this film and what a moving film it turned out to be. It was so true to life for people in various circumstances in the UK today. . . the tradesman who falls ill, the young single mum moved out of London and left with no family support, foodbanks, benefit offices, forms for DWP, etc. I found the film very moving and I think Ken Loach hit the mark with this film. Definitely worth seeing!
Marks 10/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#23 Post by ladams888 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:11 am

Saw this last night in Wimbledon. Daniel Blake was an elderly man who had worked all of his life as a carpenter until he had a heart attack. He wanted to work and people wanted to employ him, but he was unable to work until he had fully recuperated and this is where we witness how the system let him down. Trying to claim the necessary benefits just to tide him over proved impossible as he kept coming up against brick wall after brick wall. This film showed the officials in the DWP in a very bad light – unable to provide a duty of care, use common sense or to proceed unless all the right boxes were ticked. Very much a “computer says no” situation. The very fact of moving all of their systems online completely excluded the people who needed it most – i.e. the elderly and the poor.

Dave Johns was very believable as the beleaguered Daniel Blake. Hayley Squires was excellent as Katie, the young and very able single mum also trapped in the bureaucratic system which was supposed to be helping her. An excellent, moving and frustrating film showing how very often the benefits system goes out of its way to deny the most needy. Definitely worth seeing. 9/10

Mira M
Air Force One
Air Force One

#24 Post by Mira M » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 am

A hard, gritty snapshot of the reality of life for people falling through the cracks of the inadequacies and bureaucracy of the welfare system. A poignant tale excellently written and directed with amazing actors.

I agree with others reviews here about the pure desperation conveyed in the scene at the food bank. The poor woman being so hungry that while being given free food - she grabs a tin of beans and opens them and starts eating them with her hands. Another element that struck me with this movie, is the importance of family, community and networking. How easily people can become so isolated, that when they run into difficulties with government bureaucracy, like Daniel at the welfare office - that they have no-one suitable to ask for help or capable of advocating on their behalf.

I was in two minds about going to see this movie, as I've found other movies by Ken Loach - although amazingly executed in every way - depressing due to the themes and subject matter they deal with. However, I steeled myself for this one and was pleasantly surprised with the lighter, more comic moments and the touching friendship between the lead character and the young, single mother and her children. Definitely worth seeing.

Thank you to whoever put up the link to The Mirror tickets at the Finchley Vue in the O 2 Shopping Centre (sorry can't remember your name!). Fantastic getting free tickets, as we are still sort of reeling about how much cinema tickets cost in London. Just moved here from Aus, where we were used to p*ying only $10 (about £6) a ticket at our local 10 screen cinema chain!

Bluebell
Air Force One
Air Force One

#25 Post by Bluebell » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:34 am

Filmed in the style of a docu-drama I, Daniel Blake shows how the benefits system reduces ordinary people, who have the misfortune to be unemployed, to despair. One can feel Daniel's frustration with the system. He is made to jump through hoops just to register for benefits. An honest, dignified man Daniel has to resort to selling all his furniture in order to survive. His empathy and kindness to Katie and her children is in sharp contrast to the majority of the Job Centre staff who treat 'clients' with contempt. A well deserved Palme d'Or for Loach in my opinion. 9/10

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#26 Post by fraz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Left this film with my head spinning at the madness in the bureaucracy involved in Dan's plight, and the horrible situation Katie and the kids have found themselves in. So very sad.

Harrowing to think how many people might be living those lives right now while the rule makers are living charmed existences without a care for these people. I will certainly be making more effort to donate to local foodbanks after watching.
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

Sonalmaisuria

#27 Post by Sonalmaisuria » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:56 pm

Saw this last week. Very raw and feels like you are a fly on the wall in Daniel's life. It was very realistic as the challenges faced by Daniel and Katie. It was thought provoking and sparked a debate between my husband and myself!
Great film and is a must see.

Bobbyd83

#28 Post by Bobbyd83 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:47 am

People will probably write this film off, but it is surprisingly good. This film takes the viewer on an emotional rollercoaster and really does show the benefits system for what it is!

elski
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 1223

#29 Post by elski » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:32 am

Mhairi Black MP

My Private Members Bill will be debated in the House of Commons on the 2nd of December but before then I want to hear your opinions on the bill and any suggestions you may have to improve it.

Please take part in the consultation at: http://www.snp.org/tacklingsanctions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 195 films seen!!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p386907

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 170 seen!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p375395
2015 -210 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p354785
2014 - 178 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p321617
2013 - 104 films seen!
2012 - 103 films seen
2011 - 110 films seen
2010 - 82 films seen
2009 - 72 films seen
2008 - 41 films seen

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#30 Post by D-Fens » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 pm

Managed to miss every preview of this (probably busy filling in forms) so just caught up.
Spoiler
Show
Some poor performances aside from the leads but got better as the film went on.

Was nice to see something a bit heavier that actually had a relevant point although I wonder if it was better made would it have had a more lasting impression.

The scene in the food bank floored me but that was just from the visit alone, eating the beans turned it to melodrama.

Likewise the shoplifting being capped by a security guard who just happened to know somebody.

Likewise the graffiti attracting all sorts of passers-by and a hen party no less!

Just seeing the reality was enough but it always added something that just wouldn't happen.

If it was going to go there then I'd have liked to have seen Daniel Blake get his money's worth at the brothel. Not for titillation, imagine how utterly grim it would have been if he insisted, it's also kind of setup by the movie. Screwed by the system, nobody's perfect.

Agree with somebody else that it could have shown just one character changing for the better. Without a shred of hope the movie is just going to be lost in a crowd of undesirables.
'ed for controversial opinion.