Discuss movies (including free films)
McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

Re: The Accountant

#21 Post by McG » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:17 am

I saw this at Glasgow Fort Las night though nearly didn't make it as the journey was horrendous. . . 20 min journey took over 1 hour due to roadworks. I'm so glad I made it as I loved the film! I loved the character played so well by Ben Affleck. It was certainly a different take on the life of an autistic child in to adulthood. I definitely did not see some of the twists and turns and enjoyed the revelations. I would definitely recommend this film to folk who like thrillers. I will probably see this again!
Marks 9.5/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#22 Post by ladams888 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:01 pm

Saw this last night at Piccadilly Circus Vue. It was a very complicated mish-mash of a film. The plot was overly complex and the film couldn’t decide if it wanted to be a financial intrigue film or an action film. Ben Affleck played the socially inept, unemotional Accountant – which was good because it meant he didn’t even need to bother to act! I left the cinema in a confused state, but I didn’t even want to try and work out the plot, just wanted to get home and watch the Apprentice (yes, more socially inept people!)!

nosila50
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh, Livingston, Dunfermline

#23 Post by nosila50 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:31 pm

This was just my kind of film. I love a thriller with lots of twists and turns and although I worked out a few there were certainly some surprises.

Only bit I was confused at first with was that I could not work out which son was theirs when they were at the special unit until later on when it dawned on me that they both were.

Definitely recommend. 9/10
Member No. 50 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 7 seen!
Member No. 50, in 2018" club. 29 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2017” club. 31 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2016" club. 36 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2015" club. 22 seen.

nosila50
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh, Livingston, Dunfermline

#24 Post by nosila50 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:31 pm

This was just my kind of film. I love a thriller with lots of twists and turns and although I worked out a few there were certainly some surprises.

Only bit I was confused at first with was that I could not work out which son was theirs when they were at the special unit until later on when it dawned on me that they both were.

Definitely recommend. 9/10
Member No. 50 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 7 seen!
Member No. 50, in 2018" club. 29 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2017” club. 31 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2016" club. 36 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2015" club. 22 seen.

Maria1234

#25 Post by Maria1234 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:21 am

Watched it a while ago, but I'm still new to this whole forum discussion thing :) anyway, Ben Affleck does a great work portraying this character, probably one of his best roles if you ask me (not his biggest fan, but was quite surprised by this one!). The movie has a good rythm: drama, lots of action and the occasional humour note. I was never bored throughout the screening. Also, I wasn't expecting such a good story. Having said that, the twists are quite predictable and the most important part of the story relies on major coincidences that seem really unlikely to happen. But hey, that's poetic license for you! Another detail: the trailer had a Radiohead song, so I was expecting a good soundtrack, which didn't really happen.

Overall 7/10

ingrid123

#26 Post by ingrid123 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:44 am

The Accountant Review
The Accountant takes a slightly different path on the whole bred-for-war, secret agent scenario. Ben Affleck plays Christian Wolff as a man with Asperger’s Syndrome. Sensitive to sensory and finding it difficult to speak with others, his military father subjected him to harsh practices that will prepare him for both the world and any war. But Christian seems much more content and happy as an accountant, providing a perfect cover after his days of secret assassinations. Does this sound silly? Sure. What thriller isn’t when you get down to the nuts and bolts? And, boy, does this movie get ridiculous with its twists.

Christian exists as an enigma of a hitman, keeping to himself as an accountant with all his weapons neatly tucked away inside a trailer inside a storage facility. His latest target, chosen by an undisclosed female over the phone ala Hitman, is a robotics company. Christian makes his way into the company as an accountant, hired to uncover an error in tax records after a change in management. And he wastes no time in finding this error, digging through decades of records and numbers. He has a genuine love for this job the way he way he spends all night writing down all his findings and bragging with a rare smile to his junior accounting assistant Dana, played by an awkwardly curious Anna Kendrick.

But the numbers game is only half the battle as the other half is, well, the battle. Hired goons start showing up in his town, touting guns with intent to kill. Good thing Christian has been to the Jason Bourne school of taking down bad guys with his efficiency in guns and hand-to-hand combat. Although the script does setup this aspect of Christian’s character early enough, it’s still a rather silly sight to watch this movie go from the tale of a mentally impaired accountant to a full-blown action hero. Separated, these two aspects work rather well. It’s compelling watch Christian become violently frustrated when he can’t finish any project, from a puzzle to an accounting job. It’s also entertaining to watch these action sequences that are fast, violent, smart and pack a lot of grit. But when smashed together, they certainly don’t make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Making the plot supremely goofy is the B-plot of treasury agents played by J.K. Simmons and Cynthia Addai-Robinson. As they track down the elusive Christian, who somehow managed to avoid having his photo taken after a dozen recon photos of his dealings, ridiculous twists are revealed about how much Simmons actually knows about Christian. It doesn’t help that this twist is also revealed over a long expository flashback. All the other flashbacks seem to come in bits and pieces, but this one twist stops the movie almost as much as it halts plausibility.

There are a few strange quirks of Christian’s Asperger’s that appears rather ludicrous as well. When Christian first visits the special school for mental disorders, we see the familiar poster of facial expressions on the wall, designed for children to state their current mood that they cannot display. Cut to him all grown up as an accountant and he has this same poster in his trailer. He also recreates these faces on melons that he shoots for target practice. He even uses the exact same smiling face from the poster as the icon of his employer on his smart phone. It’s as if Christian is more of a silly Batman villain with the powers of Asperger’s. It’s strange enough that the expression chart is used as a motif for his assassinations, but it’s even more peculiar in that there’s no explanation for this choice. Does an assassin with Asperger’s really need branding?

The Accountant is a movie I wanted to root for, as it does become a rather strong picture at times. Despite Christian’s Asperger’s going slightly over-the-top at times, there are a handful of scenes that are spot on with some solid acting by Affleck. The action is very intense and expertly shot, as in one scene when Kendrick uses the contents of a bathroom to defend herself from hired goons. It’s just too bad that most of these positives falls to pieces over a pesky plot that appears plucked from a stronger Jason Bourne picture.

This is review from CinemaParadisoCoUk. Personally I love it :)

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#27 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:02 pm

ingrid123 wrote:The Accountant Review
Wow, ingrid123, what a brilliant review, I was thinking you should be writing for a paper/blog until I read the last sentence! :bwl: you got me! Most people would just post the link http://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/rentals ... 96240.html :shifty:
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

ingrid123

#28 Post by ingrid123 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:20 am

prettyxcool wrote:
Wow, ingrid123, what a brilliant review, I was thinking you should be writing for a paper/blog until I read the last sentence! :bwl: you got me! Most people would just post the link http://www.cinemaparadiso.co.uk/rentals ... 96240.html :shifty:
OMG I know :D :D :D :D

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#29 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:01 pm

ingrid123 wrote:
prettyxcool wrote:
OMG I know :D :D :D :D
o/ ;)
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

fillumboy2
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#30 Post by fillumboy2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:02 am

Sometimes going in with low expectations to see a big dumb action movie is the best way to end up with a surprisingly enjoyable two hours of silly fun.

It turned out that at the end of a long day, this was just what we needed.

The action scenes are well put together.

The whole cinema laughed more often than at many of the so-called comedies we have seen this year.