Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

Discuss movies (including free films)
stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

#1 Post by stuartboy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Definitely fantastic! A great watch. A little whizz, bang, pop for my liking. I'd have liked to see more of the beasts a la a David Attenborough doc, but what you did see when it stayed still long enough was amazing.
I particularly liked that this wasn't a book originally. (Well yes it was, but a fictional textbook - if you see what I mean). It meant that I didn't feel the need to have read it beforehand.

We were told at the departure gate that ours wasn't going to be 3D but I go old almost appreciate the effects with some of the creatures.
We also didn't have any red carpet footage with the film starting just a little after 7.

Eddie Redhair was brilliant as Newt. Just as I would have imagined him to be - if I had any prior knowledge of him (other than a passing reference in HP). Loved the character. Here's hoping for lots more if him.

I want a Picket!

Totally engrossed from start to finish.

10/10
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

Re: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

#2 Post by D-Fens » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:04 pm

It had no story, so I guess it was true to the book it was based on, if you see what I mean.

If not expelliarmus! or some such.

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#3 Post by fraz » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:07 pm

Just watched this at Edinburgh Omni. Absolutely rammed, unsurprisingly. Bit miffed at the 7pm start given it was advertised as 1830, anyway..

I've never really been taken by the whole HP wizarding world so have no fanboy expectation for this. As a standalone film, it was okay-ish. I'd have preferred a little more fantastic beasts in truth. Given the title, they didnt really feature as much as I may have expected. The limited glimpses were good, though.

I found Colin Farrells character a bit confusing. It wasnt entirely clear if he was bad or not in his quest to find 'the child'. His motivations could easily have been for good given the threat to the wizard community. Even at the climax of the film, he just suddenly seemed to throw in the towel which, even with the limited development of his character, seemed out of place.

Kids will probably lap this film up, alongside avid HP fans, but I just thought it was okay. 6/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#4 Post by Beate » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:09 pm

It started at 7pm in the Superscreen at the O2 - we'd narrowly missed out on the balcony.

Absolutey magical. I didn't like the 3D too much but the creatures were indeed fantastic, especially the jewellery-loving one and the green thing on Newt's lapel. Eddie Redmayne, who I don't usually like that much, was spot on. I also loved the Polish baker. I basically sat there with a big grin on my face throughout.

Off to tweet J.K.Rowling.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 1 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

yogi
Se7en
Se7en

#5 Post by yogi » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:13 pm

Fantastic fun. The film was jam packed with ideas, magical beasts and spellbinding visuals. The four leads had great chemistry as they dashed around 20s New York trying to recapture Newt's creatures and were nicely balanced with Colin Farrell, Samantha Morton and Ezra Miller's performances.

Thrilling, funny and thoroughly enjoyable, one of the best blockbusters in years 10/10
Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 12 down 88 to go
(My ongoing target is to beat 2013's record 91)

2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8/5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10

LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

newdot
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#6 Post by newdot » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Kind of boring. Saw it in 3d and picture quality in Nottingham was shocking. Not sure what made it feel so disengaging, but not helped by a very poor score. It seemed unfinished, or that we were missing a couple of audio channels. Redmaynes doe eyed appeal is starting to wear thin too.

4 outta 10. Glad it was free.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#7 Post by D-Fens » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:09 pm

newdot wrote:Not sure what made it feel so disengaging
It was mostly just a guy collecting stuff? Like a live action Pokemon Go, nothing actually mattered.

All the evil stuff was a 'pooky mystery, until it was time for something to be revealed and then one of the characters just explained what had happened.

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#8 Post by kevinknapman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:28 pm

The Harry Potter phenomenon may continue to create deafening levels of buzz with each new spin-off and sequel that is announced but it's also hard not to be a mite cynical about it all too. It's hard to shake the feeling that this is one franchise cash-cow that is being relentlessly milked for all it's worth.

This was especially apparent when an adaptation of Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them was initially green-lit. A film based on a fake textbook about magical creatures credited to one Newt Scamander instead of its actual author JK Rowling, felt like a film adaptation too far. Then finding out that it was just the first of five planned films and the collective eye-rolling of internet denizens not worshipping religiously at the altar of Pottermore was all too clear.

This is all a lengthy preamble however to say that the finished film itself thankfully makes a more than persuasive case that Rowling can happily do whatever she wants (not content with creating all things Potter, this marks her screenwriting debut), if the results are as wondrous and magical as this.

The set up, Newt Scamander arrives in 1920s New York with a suitcase that contains countless magical creatures he has collected from all around the world in order to document and protect that then escape into the city, is the jumping off point for an impressive new addition to the Potter universe that never feels like it's too dependent on its more famous predecessor but isn't afraid to sprinkle the occasional reference to familiar characters and place names to keep the fans happy.

Key to making this feel fresh and unexpected however is the setting which is unlike anything we've seen before, with the paranoia and fear of a pre-depression era New York distrustful of all things magic-related vividly captured. It's all a far cry from Hogwarts and Diagon Alley and gives it a distinctive flavour all its own.

The wonderfully weird creature design is a joy to behold too. From the fairly small which includes the mole-like Niffler and his addiction to all things shiny and the cute Bowtruckles, a cross between baby Groot and a stick insect, to the larger creatures like the Erumpent, a glowing rhino/elephant hybrid and the majestic Phoenix-like Thunderbird. These are just a few of the many delights on offer and the special effects studios involved take Rowling's creativity off the page and run with it. The first visit inside the suitcase and the creatures within is a spectacular high-point.

An excellent cast help bring a welcome emotional dimension to all this visual splendour. Eddie Redmayne is at his most likeably eccentric as the shy and awkward Newt, not afraid to act the fool at times but equally adept at suggesting the sadness and heartbreak of his past. Katherine Waterston builds on the promise she showed in Inherent Vice, Steve Jobs and Queen of Earth as Porpetina Goldstein, a former Auror (a sort of magical FBI agent responsible for keeping purveyors of dark magic under control) and witch. Dan Fogler is very good and often very funny as Jacob, a No-Maj (US slang for Muggle) who, along with Porpetina, gets mixed up with Newt's stateside escapades. His emotional journey proves to be just as important and affecting as Newt's. Relative unknown Alison Sodul completes this heroic quartet as Porpetina's mind-reading sister Queenie.

The remaining cast includes strong turns from Colin Farrell, Ezra Miller, Samantha Morton, Ron Perlman and Carmen Ejogo plus very brief appearances from well known faces (Zoe Kravitz, Gemma Chan) who will presumably play a greater part in subsequent films. This also includes a late A list star cameo which was sadly spoiled before release, blunting the surprise casting it could have been.

If I have a criticism it's that the film doesn't quite have a threat to rival 'He Who Must Not Be Named'. Several references to a powerful dark magician called Grindelwald was presumably supposed to have a similar effect to that which the name Voldemort had but there's little sense given of just how powerful he is.

It's a minor niggle however as the film as a whole is incredibly enjoyable. Potter fans should love it, but even I, as a very casual admirer who's seen the films but has little interest in reading the books, spent the majority of the film with a big smile on my face.
A thrilling and beautifully made fantasy blockbuster that serves as an enjoyable introduction to a world that clearly has many more splendid sights, worlds and creatures left to explore.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

newdot
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#9 Post by newdot » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:33 pm

D-Fens wrote:
newdot wrote:Not sure what made it feel so disengaging
It was mostly just a guy collecting stuff? Like a live action Pokemon Go, nothing actually mattered.

All the evil stuff was a 'pooky mystery, until it was time for something to be revealed and then one of the characters just explained what had happened.
Yup....this. Minimal story & confused to boot.

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#10 Post by Beate » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes, what Kevin said really. What he said.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 1 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen