Hidden Figures

Discuss movies (including free films)
fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Hidden Figures

#1 Post by fraz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm

Based on a true story, with a little artisitic license around timelines, Hidden Figures tracks the stories of three black women looking to triumph in a heavily sexist and racist environment, working as part of NASA as they struggle to compete with Russia in the early days of the Space Race and the launch of John Glenn's mission to orbit Earth seven times.

The film was engaging and featured great performances all round, Kevin Costner adding star power and Jim Parsons adding Sheldon. It's horrible to watch genuine progression being stifled for no reason other than colour, sex or jealousy. You worry about recent events in America and how, some 60 years later than events in the film, they appear to be going backwards and in danger of wiping decades of progress.

Well worth a watch and empowering. 9/10

Edit: I'm updating my score from an 8 to a 9 as this film has been on my mind a lot of late and that's the mark of quality. It really was great and I'd happily watch again.
Last edited by fraz on Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

Re: Hidden Figures

#2 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:40 am

Jim Parsons was the weakest part of the film although I did love his gesture towards the end. Other than that. it was a lacklustre performance from him with everyone else putting in strong performances.

I did wonder how the hell they could be trusted to send a man into space and get him home safely when
Spoiler
Show
they hadn't measured the doorway to the room which would house the IBM!
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#3 Post by fraz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 am

I think Jim is so typecast it would be hard to see him in any other role than a scientist/boffin.
Spoiler
Show
At the start of the film I thought he might end up in a relationship with Katherine, that certainly never went anywhere! It was nice to get the updates at the end and that she and Colonel Johnson were married for, what I would presume was, the rest of their lives
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

xtrip86
Air Force One
Air Force One

#4 Post by xtrip86 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:45 am

I still cant believe how much i loved this film. Felt moved by the story and characters. Would recommend people go see this upon its general release!
Spoiler
Show
what a scene where Kevin Costner's character takes the crowbar to the toilet sign!
Last five cinema trips as of 14/06/17
Alien Covenant - Odeon Leicester Square
Colossal - Odeon Holloway Road
Baywatch - Showcase Bluewater
Wonder Woman - Showcase Bluewater
The Mummy - Odeon Holloway Road

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#5 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:46 am

I get what you mean but he's given better performances. It was very flat.
Spoiler
Show
yes, given her age. I think that too. So glad she found true happiness.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#6 Post by stuartboy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:36 pm

Apollo 13 meets The Help.
I really liked this film - despite actually sitting all the way through thinking Tom Hanks really doesn't look like Tom Hanks anymore - has he aged or is it make up, only to discover it was actually Kevin Costner! What a plum am I! At least I was right about one thing - Tom Hanks DIDN'T look like Tom Hanks.
Octavia Spencer simply reprised her The Help role, just with some knowledgeable over the top of glasses (Diet Coke) looks. If she gets any wider she'll need ExtraWidescreen. Her head always looks to me as if the TV is set to the wrong ratio - elongated. Sheldon Cooper was - well- just Sheldon Cooper. All that was missing from his performance was Fun with Flags and an ever so slightly camper accent. Tom Hanks was - well - Kevin Costner.
I thought the dress and styling of the film was very well done indeed as a 60s set film. None of the costumes or decor was too garish, over-the-top bright oranges and yellows, which whilst popular back then, didn't mean that everyone had to wear them. When merged with the actual footage it blended very well. It was interesting to see how the computer machinery and also the control consoles in Mission Control looked so cheap and home-made in the sets, but they actually did look like that then. It was also interesting to see how "made in the garden-shed" the rockets and space capsules looked back then.

I thought the sequence at the start in the car was a little ridiculous - she spent half an hour under the car trying to establish a dud starter motor, but then got the car to start with a quick shorting out of terminals of the battery in 3 seconds. A little unlikely. (Then when they came to go home at the end of the day their car was miraculously repaired and started first time).

I was surprised how emotional it was at the end - despite again already knowing how history played out.

Another co-incidence is that this very story was covered in the Channel 4/E4 TV series Timeless, and the time-travelling heroes of that show called upon the same black female mathematician to operate the same IBM computer for them. I even wonder if the same sets were used.

An easy 9/10.

Possibly doesn't warrant a second viewing though.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#7 Post by fanADE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:48 pm

I won't add any further details to what has already been said here. Except i was so focused on the promotion of it as a movie of empowerment that i was pleasantly surprised and delighted with the appearance of Kevin Costner and K.Dunst and Shelldon .. Beautiful film.. i did think JIm was typecast but this was my first view of him in a film. Overall i loved the movie and the time period as well. it showed a duality of layers of empowerment and hope..
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#8 Post by fanADE » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:50 pm

stuartboy wrote:Apollo 13 meets The Help.
Another co-incidence is that this very story was covered in the Channel 4/E4 TV series Timeless, and the time-travelling heroes of that show called upon the same black female mathematician to operate the same IBM computer for them. I even wonder if the same sets were used.

An easy 9/10.

h.
i did not know this at all.. Thank you.. you have given me a reason to stay with Timeless!!
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#9 Post by raj101 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:31 pm

You'd think this type of story has been told to death, but this movie proves thats not even slightly true.

The performances and casting are absolutely stellar, the camera catching every nuance of emotion and thought, although the Big Bang guy didnt appear happy with his role. Kirsten Dunst's stock value must have fallen if shes playing the bytch these days. One of the ladies looked like a young Whitney Houston, so pretty, I dont know her name. Some really comic moments too - "Because ahhh'm naaat Russian" lol.

Watching these kind of movies its so hard to believe with every passing year that America was such a backwater country only a few decades ago. It sickening to see, it really is. Thank goodness its moved on somewhat from even the "clever" people being a bunch of inbred evil hicks. BUt it leaves you thinking - am I in some alternative universe here? Can this really have happened? Even though you know it did. The emphasis clearly was on racial attitudes helping to keep America in relative Dark Ages.

I also wonder if it turned out as well as they say it did for all three of them, which didnt sound likely. It might be a bit hollywood in its content and ending.

4 stars. well balanced good movie that delivers a God given message.
Last edited by raj101 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Films of 2018
DeathOfStalin, Avengers3, LeaveNoTrace, IntoTheSpiderverse3D..., (TBC)

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#10 Post by raj101 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:34 pm

stuartboy wrote:Apollo 13 meets The Help.
I really liked this film - despite actually sitting all the way through thinking Tom Hanks really doesn't look like Tom Hanks anymore - has he aged or is it make up, only to discover it was actually Kevin Costner!.
LOL
Films of 2018
DeathOfStalin, Avengers3, LeaveNoTrace, IntoTheSpiderverse3D..., (TBC)