biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

Re: Hidden Figures

#42 Post by biggins » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Excellent film. So glad I didn't miss seeing this one. 9/10
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

mupton
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0

#43 Post by mupton » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 am

noorjahapatel@yahoo.co.uk wrote:What a super inspiring and must see film. I'm still shocked how some people don't recognise that any kind of segreation makes no sense whatsoever. The fight African Americans have had and are still having is a disgrace. This story was not long ago at all, 1960s! How strong and determined were these women? What people like this have achieved with the opposition they have had is amazing. Women are still not seen as equals in this world and neither are ethnic minorities or immigrants from specific countries. Who decides who is accepted in society and who is not? Even though the film is based on a true story, it is extremely well written. I felt there was lots of humour and positivity in difficult circumstances. I was really willing the women on and wanted them to do well. There's a massive cast. Kevin Costner is brilliant!

10/10
Actually the true events were much earlier in the 1940s and 50s. NASA had no segregation, but its predecessor organisation did, due to its location in Virginia. Nonetheless a powerful story.

Noorjahapatel
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

#44 Post by Noorjahapatel » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:57 am

mupton wrote:
noorjahapatel@yahoo.co.uk wrote:What a super inspiring and must see film. I'm still shocked how some people don't recognise that any kind of segreation makes no sense whatsoever. The fight African Americans have had and are still having is a disgrace. This story was not long ago at all, 1960s! How strong and determined were these women? What people like this have achieved with the opposition they have had is amazing. Women are still not seen as equals in this world and neither are ethnic minorities or immigrants from specific countries. Who decides who is accepted in society and who is not? Even though the film is based on a true story, it is extremely well written. I felt there was lots of humour and positivity in difficult circumstances. I was really willing the women on and wanted them to do well. There's a massive cast. Kevin Costner is brilliant!

10/10
Actually the true events were much earlier in the 1940s and 50s. NASA had no segregation, but its predecessor organisation did, due to its location in Virginia. Nonetheless a powerful story.
Thanks for those facts. Very interesting to know.
Member number 15 of the "100 free films in 2015 club" 39 seen +7 theatre, in 2016 25 seen + 2 theatre, in 2017 5 seen

2016 film scores viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33059&p=375748#p375748

2017 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34449&p=387412#p387412

2018 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35683&p=396164#p396164

Cinemas in order of preference: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

I have not got tickets for anything at the moment. Hoping for some more soon.

angela.marrazzo5997

#45 Post by angela.marrazzo5997 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:55 am

Hello!

I really enjoyed it! I found it really interesting and moving! Maybe a little bit too long, some scenes were repetitive.

mhatton131
Air Force One
Air Force One

#46 Post by mhatton131 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:55 am

Just brilliant.

Slander

#47 Post by Slander » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, made the long slog out to a participating cinema well worth the trip! The issues were handled very well I thought. I think it's good that every now and then we can be reminded (through cinema and media) about the struggles of the 20th Century and how recent it all was.

One thing I noticed was that some shots seemed to be out of focus, though perhaps that was just my screening. Anyone else pick up on that?

Someone above mentions that the actual events took place earlier than the 60s and that NASA had no segregation. This changes how I felt about some scenes, in particular when...
Spoiler
Show
Costner tears down the coloured bathroom sign. If this didn't happen then it seems like the sort of thing they add to show that not all white people are bad, which seems a bit redundant in this film, as that is not what it is about. It's not about vilification, as it is merely showing how things were.
8/10, have been recommending it to everyone I encounter!

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#48 Post by The Sparrow » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58 am

Slander wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this film, made the long slog out to a participating cinema well worth the trip! The issues were handled very well I thought. I think it's good that every now and then we can be reminded (through cinema and media) about the struggles of the 20th Century and how recent it all was.

One thing I noticed was that some shots seemed to be out of focus, though perhaps that was just my screening. Anyone else pick up on that?

Someone above mentions that the actual events took place earlier than the 60s and that NASA had no segregation. This changes how I felt about some scenes, in particular when...
Spoiler
Show
Costner tears down the coloured bathroom sign. If this didn't happen then it seems like the sort of thing they add to show that not all white people are bad, which seems a bit redundant in this film, as that is not what it is about. It's not about vilification, as it is merely showing how things were.
8/10, have been recommending it to everyone I encounter!
Apparently, Costner's character was an amalgamation of three men.
Spoiler
Show
and unfortunately, that particular scene didn't happen. I did appreciate the implications of it though but I had no idea that the NSA had no segregation.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#49 Post by The Sparrow » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:59 am

mupton wrote:

10/10
If that's the case, where the women referred to as the coloured computers?
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

liuchongscut

#50 Post by liuchongscut » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:34 am

It's definitely worth watching. It shows the devotion of black people in America during 1960s, very touching.