Hacksaw Ridge

Discuss movies (including free films)
RickyRaj
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Road, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street, Holloway, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.
I haven't got tickets for: Any

Re: Hacksaw Ridge

#21 Post by RickyRaj » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:32 pm

A brilliant film, absolutely loved it. Defo not for the faint of heart. Well done Mr Gibson a solid 10/10!
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Rd, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Ave, Odeon Panton St, Holloway Rd, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.

Bluebell
Air Force One
Air Force One

#22 Post by Bluebell » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Brilliant! A wonderful, but little known, tale of heroism and valour that truly deserved to be told. Mel Gibson, making his directorial comeback, does justice to this incredible story and Andrew Garfield does a great job at portraying the virtuous Desmond Doss. I would not hesitate to recommend this film. 9/10

caitinsley
Air Force One
Air Force One

#23 Post by caitinsley » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:58 pm

Well Hacksaw Ridge boosted higher than my expectations and was pretty great!

I might now start watching war films haha

geeorob
Air Force One
Air Force One

#24 Post by geeorob » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:07 pm

I agree with all the points. You have to remember Braveheart was sliced and diced by the Censors so would have been more of a gore fest. Yes, war was not sugar coated but it was a bit overdone. Maybe it was just me who kept thinking when he was saving the folk, if he get shot in the buttocks I am gonna lose it! Maybe Forest Gump was based on Desmond Doss. 8/10

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#25 Post by ladams888 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Saw this yesterday at Wimbledon Odeon. It followed the story of Desmond Doss a Seventh Day Adventist who, despite being a pacifist, volunteered for the army as he wanted to do his bit during the 2nd world war. He was ridiculed and bullied all the way through training and was nearly court-martialled because of his refusal to handle a gun. However as soon as his troop was deployed he came into his own. A wonderful film which showed that even a pacifist can still play an important role within the army. Andrew Garfield was stellar as the simple, God-fearing Virginian, who just wanted to be a medic alongside the troops fighting at Okinawa. Excellent performances too by Vince Vaughn (for once in a serious role) and Sam Worthington as Desmond’s Sergeant and Captain respectively. Mel Gibson, true to form, spared us nothing in dramatising the full futility of the battle with the relentless fighting and the tremendous loss of life on both sides.

A very moving and emotional film. Have plenty of tissues ready. 9/10.

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#26 Post by Sunny Saver » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:13 pm

OH gave it 8/10, which is very high praise from him!

S_taylor81
Air Force One
Air Force One

#27 Post by S_taylor81 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Having seen the trailers I was expecting a great film and I wasn't disappointed. The action and gore is really full on in this. Andrew Garfield was outstanding in this and should be nominated for his performance 9/10.

RobertS
Air Force One
Air Force One

#28 Post by RobertS » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:10 am

Going into the cinema the cinema I was afraid that it might be one of those cliché WW2 movies, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. Andrew’s and Hugo’s performances were splendid, while the rest of the cast was ok. I think this is one of those movies that doesn’t really work when you watch it at home, so I’m happy I managed to watch it in the cinema. 7/10.

cinecine
Air Force One
Air Force One

#29 Post by cinecine » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Saw this and thought it was very good. Andrew Garfield was excellent and like someone else said it was good to see Vince Vaughn in something more serious. I would definitely recommend. I didn't mind the background story as I thought it helped set the scene for what came after and provided a contrast for the unflinching battle scenes.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#30 Post by raj101 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:22 pm

a movie told well in the classic blockbuster style which Gibson appears to direct well, shame that hes less astute with (or deliberately skirts) the wider issues of the futility of war that this movie is crying out to have covered properly. Thats underlined in the final scene, where the war just carries on naively. It truly feels like the movie was made mid20th century and its dying out for some kind of updated apologetic statement about why the Satanic American government chose to murder thousands of its own soldiers and Jap soldiers/citizens over a simple oil feud (yet again).

Aside from that and a few goofy scenes that are bizarrely out of place, a solid 4 stars. That man Dodds, that's a real man, that or a certified nutjob.
Films of 2018
DeathOfStalin, Avengers3, LeaveNoTrace, IntoTheSpiderverse3D..., (TBC)