Hacksaw Ridge

Discuss movies (including free films)
D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Hacksaw Ridge

#1 Post by D-Fens » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Oh, hello there. Hacksaw Ridge is a war film. Andrew Garfield, at his wide-eyed simpleton best plays Donny Doors who was a consh, consc, didn't want to kill people. It's a two hour movie. About an hour is spent explaining how he comes to that decision and the second hour is a big gory fight. Really gory.

It's directed by Naughty Mel Gibson. You would think that his reputation would bring a cold, cynical take on the material but the first half is practically a Disney movie. At one point Denny Daws whistles at a bird.

The movie has a supporting cast. Vince Vaughn is in it and he has a funny run. It is an amazing true story. Unless you've read a single synopsis, in which case you already know exactly what happens. I enjoyed it because it was all new to me although ultimately I found the message confusing. It was probably Mel's fault.

There were lots of previews and there are still some available. Go see it if you can tolerate schmaltz and guts, it's a real test of faith.

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

Re: Hacksaw Ridge

#2 Post by valda » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:09 pm

I saw this at a members screening Picturehouse Central. It really was a film of 2 halves. First half really really corny.AG came across as a simpleton without a brain in his head. Couldn't even cross the road safely cos he was in lurve :nono:

Things picked up once he was enlisted/drafted? I'm not sure which. Eventually he was allowed to go to war as a Medic. I'm not sure if he ever received any Doctoring
Spoiler
Show
especially as his doctorin seemed to be 'put a bandage on it and get the injured person to put pressure on it'.
I shouldn't make light of his efforts, as he was amazing in what he managed to achieve, he truly was a hero.

The battle scenes were brutal, the way wars were fought in those days are a far cry away from these days with drones etc.

Mel Gibson's son had a part in this and he really looks like his father!

All in all, 7/10. It would have been more, but there was too much of the first half syrup to get through
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

caitinsley
Air Force One
Air Force One

#3 Post by caitinsley » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:26 pm

There has been some free screenings out recently and I have lucky got tickets to 2 of them.

Hoping it's gonna be good! :)

Mega Ron
Air Force One
Air Force One

#4 Post by Mega Ron » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:40 pm

I didn't know anything about the film but must admit I feel a fair bit of trepidation knowing it's directed by Mad Mel.

Yinster
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow, Edinburgh and anything in between

#5 Post by Yinster » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Saw this this evening in Glasgow. First free film of the 2017 for me so setting the benchmark for the year.

Personally I agree it is a film of two halves as others mentioned. Was it just me but I laughed more than I thought with this film. It wasn't a comedy but there were some very clever lines. It is an extraordinary story. One which I felt Mel Gibson did justice. Perhaps it is the reason why there were so many Australians in the film. Though it is very Americanised.

8/10
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2017 - 2 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2016 - 8 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2015 - 27 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2014 - 47 seen
]Member 88 of 100 free films in 2013 - 82 seen
Member 88 of 100 free films in 2012 - 62 seen
Preference of cinemas:- 1. Glasgow Renfield Street Cineworld, 2. Glasgow Showcase, 3. Braehead Odeon, 4. Vue Fort, 5 Glasgow Springfield Quay, 5. any other cinema in Glasgow area including Hamilton
Also Falkirk, Dunfermline and Stirling but these are rarely used for free previews.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#6 Post by alythonian » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 pm

I actually thought the lack if Americans in a film portraying the American side of the WW2 battle at Hacksaw Ridge against the Japanese was a very good thing. It wasn't glamourised or schmaltsed up do much that the Americans were the goodies and the Japanese the badddies in a 'just coz' sort of way. Yes, the first hour is a bit like Forest Gump goes to Boot Camp in part, but actually it sets the scene very well fir the harsh realities of war that come thick and fast in part 2. There is blood and gore and violence by the bucket load, but thus is a true story and I thought Mel did a pretty good job of retelling it. Good acting from the cast of largely Brits and Aussies but I'll put in a good word for Vince Vaughan, that's one if the best performances I've seen him in.
8/10 from me
Alythonian

Smarties
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff

#7 Post by Smarties » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Thought this was excellent. Mel Gibson may be a bit of a prat, but there's no denying he's a very good director. I found the storyline very engaging, a lot more moving than I expected it to be, and a great central performance from Andrew Garfield. In fact all of the cast did a great job. Nice to see Vince Vaughn in a very different role for him. It showed war as it was, harsh and brutal, and I'm glad the film didn't shy away from that. It's a very violent film, but it's not gratuitous violence.

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#8 Post by McG » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:09 am

I had debated whether to go to Hacksaw Ridge tonight or wait until Sunday morning screening but am pleased I made the journey as it was an excellent film. Definitely a film of two halves . . .the first half set mostly in Virginia sets the scene for the character and views of Desmond Doss and the second half is probably among the most realistic battle scenes I have ever seen. It is a picture of death, destruction and chaos and shows scenes that I wanted to shut my eyes against but the view changed so quickly that I didn't need to. Mel Gibson has directed possibly one of his best films in Hacksaw Ridge and Andrew Garfield was excellent in his portrayal of the young soldier. As with most films based on a true story I enjoy watching the photos and interviews of the real people portrayed in the film. I would definitely recommend seeing this film though not for the faint-hearted.
Marks 9/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

rawsalsa
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich O2, Brixton Ritzy, Greenwich Odeon, Surrey Quays, Clapham Picturehse, Streatham, Wandsworth

#9 Post by rawsalsa » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 am

Great film made which I feel benefited from the predominantly Australian cast (undoubtedly due to Mel Gibson's current situation in Hollywood). I was surprised by how emotional I felt during the battle scenes. It brought me to tears and it was particularly satisfying to find that it was a true story. Incredibly well done. 9/10
Member No. 22 of the "100 free films in 2013" club

81 fims seen in 2012 (Thanks to all who helped me achieve this!)

chelle1973
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Any cinemas in Edinburgh and The Lothians.
I haven't got tickets for: Interested in all upcoming screenings.

#10 Post by chelle1973 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:29 pm

An amazing story and very well told. I lost it when the real Desmond was on the screen and said 'just one more' :cry:

8/10
Preferred cinemas: Any in Edinburgh!

Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2019". 4 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2018". 11 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2017". 8 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2016". 15 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2015". 39 seen
Member No.36 of the "100 free films in 2014". 33 seen