Viceroys House

Discuss movies (including free films)
FilmLoverUk

Viceroys House

#1 Post by FilmLoverUk » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Saw this tonight at Vue Norwich thanks to ShowFilmFirst - a wonderful, moving story about the history of India being given their independence back. Fantastic acting, and a story that will leave you touched. Anyone else enjoy this movie?

yingsandy
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Re: Viceroys House

#2 Post by yingsandy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:47 am

I saw this last night and it is quite good... although the storyline is slightly weak and I felt the characters need to be developed, overall not bad! I do enjoy seeing the house itself and the lives of the people who worked there.

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#3 Post by ladams888 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Saw this yesterday afternoon at Piccadilly Vue. I found the film fascinating – it really enhanced my very limited knowledge of Indian partition. I never knew it was such a contentious issue. Hugh Bonneville was excellent as the bemused Viceroy trying to handle the situation as fairly as possible – not knowing that he was effectively a pawn in the whole issue. Gillian Anderson (bringing out her wonderful British accent again) likewise was excellent as the sympathetic and practical Edwina Mountbatten. The film basically showed how the British government was stuck between a rock and a hard place whilst negotiating Indian independence – whatever they did would leave millions of people unhappy. I particularly liked the way that mocked-up black and white news footage (showing Bonneville and Anderson) was edited into actual Pathé news footage – a very clever trick. The Hindu/Muslim love story was probably added to make the film more watchable for those not too into the politics. The addition was not strictly necessary but served to add a more personal touch to the whole dilemma. Would recommend. 8/10

Florence1
Phase IV
Phase IV

#4 Post by Florence1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I really enjoyed this. I love history so found this really enlightening about the role the British played in India's independence. The acting was first rate and they managed to tie in the love story as well. It was interesting how Lord Mountbatten although well intentioned was just part of the British political plan. Very well done. 7/10

rshah18

#5 Post by rshah18 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm

This is a great movie about the divison in india. I would recommend if you like historical and drama films. The historical side is interesting but the story of the romance could have been more prominent

fillumboy2
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#6 Post by fillumboy2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm

Very well made historical drama. Some people might the romance plot a little shoe-horned in, but it does add a humanising element to the drier politics.

mazzaholmes
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#7 Post by mazzaholmes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm

I was not extremely bothered about seeing this film, even though I was interested in the story and am a fan of the cast.

But what a pleasant surprise!

A beautifully-told story of how India became independent from the British Empire, and then about the split of India into India and Pakistan.

The personal stories of individual characters were wonderfully played and really made you feel as though you understood their plight.

Although I knew the basic history, I found the story well-told and easy to understand.

This would be a great film to show in schools to history students.
Shearer4