Get Out

Discuss movies (including free films)
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Get Out

#1 Post by kevinknapman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:48 pm

Odeon scored a winner with their choice for tonight's Scream Unseen with Jordan Peele's sharp and ultimately savage horror satire Get Out.

Starting in 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner' territory as a young black man called Chris (Psychoville's Daniel Kaluuya) visits the country home of his white girlfriend for the first time before events start to turn a little more sinister as he realises that there's something not quite right about the few black people that reside and work in this mostly white community.

To say anymore would ruin the many surprises that writer/director Peele has up his sleeve here. Not least the fact that he hasn't made the straight up comedy you'd expect him to make for his debut feature as one half of sketch comedy double act Key & Peele. Instead he fully embraces and subverts the horror genre and it's familiar tropes of increasing unease and well-placed jump scares to unsettling effect.
However the film isn't entirely absent of humour, it's use as a way of relieving tension is impressively handled.

It's handling of race is also surprisingly provocative. Peele chooses not to place his character in a more obvious openly bigoted world full of Trump supporters but in amongst a group of white Liberals who would have genuinely 'voted for Obama if he'd run for a third term' but clearly don't quite know how to interact with black people who aren't cooking their dinner or raking the leaves on their lawn.
Peele mines this awkward situation for all its worth, especially in a prolonged garden party scene.

He has also assembled an impressive cast with Kaluuya giving an outstanding career making performance as Chris, building on recent strong turns in Black Mirror and Sicario. Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener are also excellent as his girlfriend Rose and her parents, while LilRel Howery hilariously steals scenes as the best friend back home who knew something wasn't quite right all along. Atlanta's Lakeith Stanfield, Betty Gabriel and Marcus Henderson are also very good in small but key roles. Plus Stephen 'Office Space' Root also makes an impression in a brief appearance as a blind gallery owner.

If there is a fault, it's that the first half can be a little slow as it sets up the scenario, though Peele certainly makes up for that in a violent and relentless final act.

A bold and arresting debut, Get Out is a both a timely and unflinching look at the subject of race in modern America and a cracking horror movie.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

Re: Get Out

#2 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:56 am

This didn't appeal to me. Wasn't scary enough for a horror. Wasn't funny enough for a comedy. And to top it all off, the audience in my Odeon were a damn nuisance.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

snowman2k
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#3 Post by snowman2k » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:55 am

Best Odeon Scream Unseen yet, split the previous one was also excellent.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#4 Post by alythonian » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:20 am

Really enjoyed this. It was quirky and unusual and entertaining. Not something I'd probably have chosen to watch if I'd read the synopsis, but really glad I saw it and will be recommending it as something a wee bit different to all the worthies and the blockbusters that seem to be the only choice at the cinema just now.
Alythonian

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#5 Post by fraz » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:20 am

I was really looking forward to this and glad Odeon hadn't managed to pull another 'Hidden Figures' where every clue for the screening had keen internet clue detectives sure the film was going to be 'Jackie'. A score of 99% on rotten tomatoes also sets a high bar.

It was a good film with strong performances. The set up growing ever more unsettling until it all goes off. My niggle is that when it does climax and intentions revealed, its all too short. The film is over before you know it.
Spoiler
Show
Also the surgery twist was just confusing on how it was meant to work, although there probably isnt much real science behind it. Given it turned out Granma and Granpa, the actual founders of the whole weird movement, were 'in' the zombie-like housekeeper and groundskeeper, why would anyone choose an existence like that.
A nice break from the typical, scare-a-minute horror, although I preferred Split. Another great choice of Odeon Unseen film though. 7/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#6 Post by fraz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Based on the scene where the gardener charges at Chris only to turn at the last second (it's in the trailer so no spoiler) The #getoutchallenge is now a thing...

Shortlist have collated a few of the best ones so far here - http://www.shortlist.com/entertainment/ ... -challenge

The fails are pretty funny! :D
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

drizzy5oh
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Any Central London

#7 Post by drizzy5oh » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:45 pm

Loved it. Unique. Edgy. Really subtle humour combined with a feeling of uncertainty and dread. I thought it was a very clever, well written film that got the balance just right.

9/10

Florence1
Phase IV
Phase IV

#8 Post by Florence1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 pm

I saw this at Islington Vue in the larger than normal screen 1. I enjoyed this. It was a well constructed film with a build up of tension and uncertainty where you were trying to guess what was going on. Then the small revelation which put the story in perspective and then the ensuing mayhem. As a previous reviewer said the end of the film seemed a little rushed but it was highly entertaining. I think I will be careful who I have tea with in the future! Recommended. 7/10

Noorjahapatel
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

#9 Post by Noorjahapatel » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:02 am

I enjoyed this but wouldn't choose to watch a film like this normally. It reminded me of Stepford Wives. Gloria was the scariest followed by the "Run Rabbit" music and the mother!

The amount of violence at the end reminded me of John Wick! Lol

It's a good job there's plenty of humour.

I would recommend.

7/10
Member number 15 of the "100 free films in 2015 club" 39 seen +7 theatre, in 2016 25 seen + 2 theatre, in 2017 5 seen

2016 film scores viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33059&p=375748#p375748

2017 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34449&p=387412#p387412

2018 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35683&p=396164#p396164

Cinemas in order of preference: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

I have not got tickets for anything at the moment. Hoping for some more soon.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#10 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Weird and eerie, but very good horror, mystery thriller. Found it very unique, with good script, stunning and disturbing surreal images. No monsters, but the characters are unnerving! You are unsettled right from the beginning.

My friend next to me jumped so many times, and one time her glass of wine flew into our other friend on the other side of her! :giggle: That was the thanks she got for b*ying her a glass of wine!

It handles racism really well too. Not preachy, or skimmed over.

8/10

Saw last night at Vue Piccadilly, we walked right into an abundant feast of mini burgers, chicken fillets and wedges, kept getting offered them at every turn. It turns out it was for another event. LOL

The screening was so packed, that they had to turn people away, and the film was late in starting. I wondered if people were supposed to be at the other event, and had sat in the wrong screen?
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen