Discuss movies (including free films)
raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

Arthur : Legend of The Sword

#1 Post by raj101 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 pm

Methinks G Richie has been playing too much Skyrim, because thats what this feels like, plus co.ckneys.

Another patchy movie from him, great in places (scenery and humour), competent in others but blatantly unfortunately terrible in others (Dyers characters final sequence - seriously a ten year old would write a better storyboard for that).

Leave the brain at the door or you'll be asking why feMerlin didnt simply use the big snake thing to kill all the baddies in the first scene. Come to think of it leave the history books too, because for starters in this movie Arthurs up against the vikings (nearly the wrong millenia there) as well as saxons. Arthur might be mythical but thats not a free pass to chop and change with the rest of real history, including the 1970s style jacket worn by him. Its dumb, sometimes glum but more often than not theres fun.

3 stars.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

guygreenwood
Air Force One
Air Force One

Re: Arthur : Legend of The Sword

#2 Post by guygreenwood » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 am

A truly epic film. Action from the start and all the way through.
In my opinion - best film of the year so far.

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#3 Post by McG » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:11 am

While I enjoyed this film it definitely wasn't how I expected it to be. I had expected a very straightforward historical film and instead had a film with some modern use of language, humour and a whole mix of fantasy and history of every time . . .even David Beckham seemed to fit in! :giggle: Guy Ritchie obviously had totally free rein with the film and took it to the extreme! I realise not everyone may enjoy the film but I found it to highly entertaining.
Marks 7/10

I saw the film in Paisley which was less than 50% full while my friends saw it at the Glasgow Quay which was mobbed . . .strange when the cinemas are only a few miles apart by car and they were still offering tickets for Paisley at 6pm last night.
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#4 Post by D-Fens » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:26 pm

raj101 wrote:Arthur might be mythical but thats not a free pass to chop and change with the rest of real history
Yeh it is, 250 years difference? And we can't be sure because they're stories and the Internet was down. They would need more magic folklore to go up against in a sequel so Vikings make sense.

Unlike the central "mystery" in this story. We returned to the dream so many times and I don't think we learned any more at the crucial end than we already knew at the start. Plus all the animals were the wrong sizes, somebody should have caught that in post. And then David Beckham turned up and said some words, you would think somebody would have told him how to deliver them.

The movie would have been okay, it had some nice twists on an oft tried genre but overall it felt like an inconsistent British attempt at a blockbuster rather than a fresh new take on a Hollywood movie.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#5 Post by raj101 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 pm

D-Fens wrote:
raj101 wrote:Arthur might be mythical but thats not a free pass to chop and change with the rest of real history
Yeh it is, 250 years difference? And we can't be sure because they're stories and the Internet was down. They would need more magic folklore to go up against in a sequel so Vikings make sense..
lol .

theres definitely an attempt to set up a sequel blending Arthur the myth (post roman) with King Alfred (9th century?). Sequel could be called Arfred or Alfur. On the docks. The Venerable Bede must be turning in his grave.

I see the "pa*d" review writers are cropping up. why not just p*y for a better scriptwriter?

Still a fun movie though, if a bit long. I'd like to see most of it again in imax 3d.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#6 Post by ladams888 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:03 am

Saw this in a packed Kingston Odeon. I knew as soon as the film started with the mechanical elephants bearing down on us, that this wasn’t the film for me and I was absolutely right – a dire screenplay, ridiculous costumes and appalling acting by some of the cameos (e.g. Golden Balls). It was overly long, not remotely loyal to Malory’s "Le Morte d’Artur" and one gigantic mish-mash of Lord of the Rings and Super Hero movies put in a mediaeval setting. I think Guy Ritchie should stick to what he does best – Lock, Stock etc. I must have looked at my watch dozens of times and couldn’t wait for it to finish. 2/10

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#7 Post by stuartboy » Mon May 08, 2017 11:57 pm

Took ages to get into as it wasn't clear to me who the hell anyone was meant to be. Highly amused to see the two from Queer As Folk acting again together. Kept expecting them to jump into bed together!
Golden Balls? More like Wooden Balls! Or even No Balls with his incongruous high pitched voice. He must have won a bet with Guy Ritchie to get that gig. Certainly doesn't need the cash.
Wonder if Sharon knew her Wee Denny was missing from Albert Square to be in this as Blue?

All in all, a bit silly but rather fun none the less.

6/10
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

Dbgas69

#8 Post by Dbgas69 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:48 am

Promised so much - delivered not enough to make it a must see. After 10 minutes you knew it was a Guy Ritchie film !

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#9 Post by tonethestone » Sun May 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Absolutely terrible, plenty walked out of screening I was in. 2/10.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

RF123
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Curzon Mayfair (only went once but it was incredible), Vue Acton, Vue Shepherds Bush
I have tickets for: Moonlight :)

#10 Post by RF123 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:14 pm

tonethestone wrote:Absolutely terrible, plenty walked out of screening I was in. 2/10.
Don't blame for you walking out! If I didn't have to write a review of it, I'd have probably done the same