Alien Covenant

Discuss movies (including free films)
JenBonnar
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Re: Alien Covenant

#11 Post by JenBonnar » Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 am

I liked it overall, liked the special effects and the acting. But despite that, I didn't really get emotionally attached to the characters so wasn't that bothered when they kept getting bumped off

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#12 Post by fanADE » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm

i was not overly impressed with this.. watchable but i felt it was a mishmax of previous plots.. and some were so obvious from a mile away.. it may shed some insights in to origins etc
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#13 Post by raj101 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:06 pm

gorgeous to look at, sumptously detailed sets typical of Ridley Scott but also his convoluted largely unnecessary plot details that he has allowed to creep into his movies of late. Also a major thorn of some Scott movies crops up here with a bit of bad casting for the lead. That Waterson lady looks like a bullied schoolgirl about to have a sob on Halloween for most of the movie as she does on the movie poster.

And the stupidity of the colonist guards. My oh my, they couldnt beat 2 aliens with all those guns on their side. David/Walter actor was having a field day though.

3.5 stars.
No, I do not want to see Bad Boys, ok?

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#14 Post by asamaic » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 pm

I thought this would be a crap film. It was. And it was really long too.

There were a lot of laughs from the audience at bits which I'm not sure were actually meant to be funny, but were just so cringeworthy.

Mind you, I haven't watched the Alien franchise, so perhaps I'm missing some background that would have made this film more enjoyable.

3/10
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

RobertS
Air Force One
Air Force One

#15 Post by RobertS » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Loved Fassbender and the cinematography, but the plot was disappointing. 7/10.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#16 Post by raj101 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:17 pm

yeh so I saw this again and only just realised I missed a substantial chunk at the start, where "crybaby" Daniels gets widowed. SO I was very harsh on labelling her an emo earlier. Man, I feel a right nob now.

I get the film a lot better on seeing the whole thing (and chewing on the supporting material -youtube promos and novel too).

Still 3.5 stars though, but not quite as 3.5 as I thought before. Still a gorgeous film visually, though its major setback that the new alien planet looks like frekin Norway/Iceland in this day and age of special effects.
No, I do not want to see Bad Boys, ok?

RickyRaj
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Road, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street, Holloway, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.
I haven't got tickets for: Any

#17 Post by RickyRaj » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 am

Watched this and Prometheus over Christmas and enjoyed them more now that I understand the backstory of the films. If you like the Alien franchise then it's worth YouTubing the backstory of the characters to understand their motives and the timeline.

As a film I give it 7/10.
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Rd, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Ave, Odeon Panton St, Holloway Rd, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.