The Big Sick

Discuss movies (including free films)
Rinaldo

Re: The Big Sick

#31 Post by Rinaldo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:28 pm

Its a heart warming love story that has both comedic and sad but realistic scenes on interaction between people, family and culture. All though the comedy may not be for everyone it did make me laugh, especially Emily's parent's and Kujal's one liners!

EvaMoran
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

#32 Post by EvaMoran » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:45 pm

D-Fens wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 pm
It's a strange one, the movie makes a self-aware point that it's a normal relationship movie, a norom-com? But only Zoe Swicord Kazan really acts that way consistently and she's missing half the movie!

I know Kumail Nanjiani as a sarcastic comedian so when he's acting cute in the first half it didn't feel right and some of the jokes don't land that effectively. I wasn't sure whether they were playing their ages present day or younger versions which the wardrobe and tech seemed to imply. At times it seemed like a weird version of Big.

The movie feels long because there's an event near the end that would form the climax of a regrom-com but it's just the start of another act here. It could have been really affective because it makes a lot of decisions that feel real and earned
Spoiler
Show
but ultimately it arrives at exactly the same destination a typregrom-com would, it just had a different driver.
Managed to revisit this as i found it dull the first time, and keep seeing such positive reviews, but second time around and it's massively overrated imo. I am not a huge Marvel fan, i thought Infinity War was pretty average, but this one i truly don't understand the hype at all, not sure its all entirely to do with the actual quality of the film.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

#33 Post by D-Fens » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:30 pm

EvaMoran wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:45 pm
I am not a huge Marvel fan, i thought Infinity War was pretty average, but this one i truly don't understand the hype at all, not sure its all entirely to do with the actual quality of the film.
Movie reviews are decided by the Internet now. Friendly journalists attend early previews and start the positive buzz. The creators and star of this movie had their own Internet following through podcasts and shows so nobody was going to trash a move about their real lives.

Once something has a good critical reception people watch it to see how good it is not to form their own opinion. It's the same with Joker right now. It's a very similar movie to You Were Never Really Here, also starring Joaquin Phoenix but Joker is "a masterpiece" because Twitter likes superheroes.