Spiderman: Homecoming

Discuss movies (including free films)
fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Spiderman: Homecoming

#1 Post by fraz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Bland. Over long. Unfunny. Meh. Even the biggest Marvel fan would surely struggle to praise this film.

I'm a bit fed up now with the over saturation of the Marvel universe and haven't seen the last Avengers film so unsure of the previous set-up of the new Spiderman story. This film assumes you have and kicks straight off with Spiderman getting a new suit from Tony Stark. It then labors a good hour and half of boring, juvenile interplay between Spidey, his annoying pal Ned, various teenage angst with a girl severely out of his league and a by-the-numbers baddie setup in Michael Keaton (...let's not dwell on his construction crew's deft touch for harnessing the power of various alien technologies)

It only really picked up in a tension filled car ride to the school homecoming and then final battles commencing but even they are a bit Transformer-esque CGI heavy. Tom Holland is, frankly, rubbish, and makes Tobey Maguire appear like Mr On Screen Persona. They should have kept Andrew Garfield and grew Spiderman up a bit rather than revert to a 15yr old.

One to never be watched again. 5/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

RF123
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Curzon Mayfair (only went once but it was incredible), Vue Acton, Vue Shepherds Bush
I have tickets for: Moonlight :)

Re: Spiderman: Homecoming

#2 Post by RF123 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Such a shame you weren't a fan. I loved that they reverted back to a 15 year old, I think it made the film feel more fun and energetic. The last few Spidey films felt like they were trying to take themselves too seriously whereas this one did the complete opposite. I agree with the over-saturation of the MCU, it does feel a bit too much but the films are such money makers that it doesn't look like it'll be over anytime soon sadly.

Homecoming is definitely a more fun/funny take on Spiderman, I was pleasantly surprised but how naturally funny the movie was. Tom Holland is the perfect Spiderman, he's naive but determined.

Didn't see the point in Tony Stark being in this film. I understand they had to find a way to link Spiderman in with the MCU but there are 1000% less forced ways to do it. He was in the film for all of 10 minutes so his role really did feel pointless.

scootermcc
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#3 Post by scootermcc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:05 pm

There's a mid credit and precredit scene in the film

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

#4 Post by fraz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:30 pm

scootermcc wrote:There's a mid credit and precredit scene in the film
Yeah, all Marvel films have them. Tbh I was so bored I didn't want to wait but I read that..
Spoiler
Show
one of them was Toomes speaking to someone in jail which is apparently a set up for the Sinister 6 to be the baddies for the sequel. Plus another one with Captain America
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#5 Post by D-Fens » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 pm

Lively, ephemeral, funny, rah? Maybe the best Marvel film set on Earth and I'm not a big Marvel fan.

All of the Marvel movies are meaningless, they tell stories that are only relevant to the superheroes on-screen. Spider-man is a little different, it takes place in the real world so humans aren't just open-mouthed bystanders pointing at overpowered men in suits, they're vulnerable characters with distinct personalities. This makes the story a bit more relatable, particularly to a younger audience and the set pieces are more exciting when there's more at stake than which armour will end up with the most scratches.

There's lots of nice small touches making it one of the most literal superhero translations yet, only a couple of them taking it too far. There's unusual choices throughout the cast and their presence alone make a lot of things we've seen before feel fresh and new. It could be argued that the soundtrack is used more effectively than another movie with a baby driving a car.

The bad guy could have done with a couple more scenes to ground his motivation and abilities, 8 years later and a furry collar doesn't make a flying ace and the finale is a bit disappointing as it takes place at night so is hard to follow, unlike earlier scenes. Spidey turn off the dark.

Stay for the mid-credit scene, it's relevant to the story. No need to hang around for the post-credit scene it's just a
Spoiler
Show
joke at your expense.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#6 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:09 am

scootermcc wrote:There's a mid credit and precredit scene in the film
Post credit.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

suepecker

#7 Post by suepecker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:36 am

I quite liked what they did with this movie. Marvel tastefully removed the typical heavily involved love romance and family tragedy sourounding spiderman that other spiderman movies tend to focus on. Instead it takes you back to a younger spiderman and him growing into a super hero. Comedy elements in this movie make it more enjoyable.

Do not go into this film expecting a fully polished spiderman who is in control, instead take the idea that you are peaking into a period of spiderman young self finding his rythem. In that sense this movie would be regarded somewhat more stripped back to an average marvel film but make no mistake this is not a criticism as this movie is a foundation block for spiderman.

Overall 9/10

A definite must watch

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#8 Post by RandomHajile » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:35 pm

as a big spidey fan from the 80/90s i was quite disappointed

hes ment to be as smart as stark/reed richards but needs help from stark, and his comedy fat sidekick to hack his suit...

having "flash" played by "zero" from grandbudapest hotel was taking the mick aswell as him being on the student quiz panel...

and having a hud display like iron man with a virtual assistant is taking the p...

having his aunt may being played by a hot 50yo is pretty ageist and takes away from peters responsibilitys for the retired widdowed aunt he normaly has and the turmoil he has as he pursues high school/teenage life over that responsibility.

the bad guy was the best thing about it and i would say its marvels best bad guy joint tied with iron man1.

and whats with the recurring burn out student who looked high all the time...

5/10

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#9 Post by raj101 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:11 pm

my first full IMAX Spidey was fun, if a little unfulfilled. Kinda like a comic Spiderman "Year one". I think that was the aim of the filmmakers to be fair - they cut to the chase and just made it a fun popcorn movie, which it achieves fine. People might feel uncomfortable with some of the "cross-racial" casting such as Flash but I was happy to see a fresh interpretation as more of a "Flash git". Although what Asian family calls its kid "Flash", I dread to be told.

Hollander isnt the strongest Peter Parker, all "OMG" and " jeez!" which is a bit much at times (who was really like that at 15?). The main issue will be that he doesnt really look 15, problem that will compound it self in sequels as his ageing will set in way too fast for a teenager as it did with his predecessors. The ageing is obviously a difficult thing to get round given that the next Spidey movies are made years after this and you cant really predict how fast someone will age (unless you cast Elijah Wood! who is stuck at age 21 for the last 2 decades), but one solution might be to cast someone black or asian as Spiderman, since they tend to age a lot slower, a lot of them in the thirties still look nineteen. Certainly the darkskinned casting of the supporting kids means they will still look young come 2020 when the third film in this series is due.

Theres few really jawdropping scenes, so IMAX isnt necessary here. Indeed some of its on "camcorder view" which looks out of place on a massive screen.

VIllain was ok but not sure how he was so powerful. He was just a guy, you know?

Was good how they linked it with Avengers, but Iron Man was a somewhat underused Gandalf/Deus Ex Machina, you wondered why on earth he didnt turn up and zap Vulture and the less than thrilling Shocker flat ASAP.

Bztard filmmaker made me sit through all the way through the credits for that last scene. grrr but lol.

3.5 stars.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#10 Post by fanADE » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:26 pm

yer.. not too keen on this. i can understand the logic... new audience... younger, global market and of course they do have the right to make changes to suit it. Watchable summer block buster.. personally Toby Mcguire can rest knowing nothing since has mached his version.
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]