Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Discuss movies (including free films)
steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

Re: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

#11 Post by steve9872 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 am

Reading all these comments would make me think the movie was dire, but it isn't. Nor is it brilliant.
Yes the special effects are brilliant and the story is designed to keep you guessing as to what is going on, but the same is true of many movies.
The movie is a little above average but people are expecting LB to make brilliant movies and when they find it isn't outstanding the only mark they give it is exceptionally poor, which is a shame as it isn't that bad. I've walked out of dire movies so I know the difference.
6/10
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#12 Post by prettyxcool » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Saw this at a premiere at Cineworld Leicester Square. All the cast turned up on the blue carpet and Rihanna in her amazingly plunging massively big red dress, which swamped everyone else, except the dazzling dress of Luc Besson's stunning wife, who also produced the film, which just sparkled!

I really enjoyed this. Love fantasy and sci-fi. And Dane DeHaan is really growing on me since seeing him in a Cure for Wellness. I also liked Rihanna's character and thought she was really good, although some parts it was so obvious, it was not her. The story is a bit cheesy, but nice. The characters/species are really creative and insane, although can see a lot of star wars influences here and there. However, it is an amazing universe that Luc Besson has created, and which I want to know more about. The visuals are breathtaking.

9/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#13 Post by raj101 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:00 am

The special effects are eyepopping but I have no idea why the two lead roles were gifted to a couple of teenagers with zero acting ability. Cara Thingaving in particular, ok for teen roles but horrible at anything else.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#14 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm

raj101 wrote:The special effects are eyepopping but I have no idea why the two lead roles were gifted to a couple of teenagers with zero acting ability. Cara Thingaving in particular, ok for teen roles but horrible at anything else.
Whilst I think they lacked chemistry, Dane DeHaan is a 31 year old father of one. So hardly a teenager. He has also given some impressive performances in many a film.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2

#15 Post by raj101 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:30 pm

The Sparrow wrote:
raj101 wrote:The special effects are eyepopping but I have no idea why the two lead roles were gifted to a couple of teenagers with zero acting ability. Cara Thingaving in particular, ok for teen roles but horrible at anything else.
Whilst I think they lacked chemistry, Dane DeHaan is a 31 year old father of one. So hardly a teenager. He has also given some impressive performances in many a film.
oh rite he looks younger than he is. Personally I haven't seen him do anything good yet, though he has an immensely creepy face that would work in horror etc.

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#16 Post by fanADE » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes i was looking forward to this... but the actors ( major leads) were a distraction from what could have been an interesting visual delight :Embarrassed:
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2

#17 Post by raj101 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:45 am

prettyxcool wrote:Saw this at a premiere at Cineworld Leicester Square. All the cast turned up on the blue carpet and Rihanna in her amazingly plunging massively big red dress, which swamped everyone else, except the dazzling dress of Luc Besson's stunning wife, who also produced the film, which just sparkled!

I really enjoyed this. Love fantasy and sci-fi. And Dane DeHaan is really growing on me since seeing him in a Cure for Wellness. I also liked Rihanna's character and thought she was really good, although some parts it was so obvious, it was not her. The story is a bit cheesy, but nice. The characters/species are really creative and insane, although can see a lot of star wars influences here and there. However, it is an amazing universe that Luc Besson has created, and which I want to know more about. The visuals are breathtaking.

9/10
Personally I think Besson should make a Star Wars movie,not a trilogy one but an "additional" one like Rogue One. His style would be a delight.

Watched this again in 2D, and the film has grown on me. Since its comic book derived, I was ok giving a pass to the goddawn awful acting of the leads this time round. Main issue is the third act before the finale that is stodgy and slow, the rest of the movie is lovely. Just want to see it again now.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#18 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:49 pm

raj101 wrote:
prettyxcool wrote:Saw this at a premiere at Cineworld Leicester Square. All the cast turned up on the blue carpet and Rihanna in her amazingly plunging massively big red dress, which swamped everyone else, except the dazzling dress of Luc Besson's stunning wife, who also produced the film, which just sparkled!

9/10
Personally I think Besson should make a Star Wars movie,not a trilogy one but an "additional" one like Rogue One. His style would be a delight.

Watched this again in 2D, and the film has grown on me. Since its comic book derived, I was ok giving a pass to the goddawn awful acting of the leads this time round. Main issue is the third act before the finale that is stodgy and slow, the rest of the movie is lovely. Just want to see it again now.
Couldn't agree more with you, raj101. Love Star Wars, so that would be brilliant.

I too would love to see this again.
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2

#19 Post by raj101 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 pm

prettyxcool wrote:
raj101 wrote:

9/10

Couldn't agree more with you, raj101. Love Star Wars, so that would be brilliant.

I too would love to see this again.

Da!