Limehouse Golem

Discuss movies (including free films)
nclarken
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Limehouse Golem

#1 Post by nclarken » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:33 am

A series of murders has shaken a Victorian community to the point where people believe that only a legendary creature from dark times - the mythical so-called Golem - must be responsible.

Enjoyable murder mystery set in Victorian times. Bill Nighy particularly good as the inspector attempting to solve the case of a mass murderer. Dark and dramatic, the film kept me engaged throughout its two hours. 8/10

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

Re: Limehouse Golem

#2 Post by ladams888 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 am

I feel quite the opposite! I didn't like this film and couldn’t wait for it to finish (I kept looking at my watch). It was attempting to be a scary Victorian melodrama, but it failed on all counts and ended up looking more like a B movie. I normally adore Bill Nighy, but not when he is trying to be a serious actor – he’s so much better when he sticks to the bitter sarcasm and withering put-downs. The ending was predictable. Wouldn’t recommend. 3/10

Florence1
Phase IV
Phase IV

#3 Post by Florence1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 am

I really enjoyed this film. Bill Nighy was excellent as usual in his role as the detective. The story was quite gory in parts not particularly scary but quite dark and atmospheric. There were lots of twists and turns which kept me engaged in the story. Happy to recommend. 8/10

rawsalsa
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich O2, Brixton Ritzy, Greenwich Odeon, Surrey Quays, Clapham Picturehse, Streatham, Wandsworth

#4 Post by rawsalsa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 am

I saw this at an half full East Dulwich picturehouse yesterday morning. Overall a good suspense thriller with excellent performances from Bill Nighy and Olivia Cooke, however rather gory and violent in parts. So much so, I had to close my eyes (and ears) several times as I couldn't watch! 6/10
Last edited by rawsalsa on Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 22 of the "100 free films in 2013" club

81 fims seen in 2012 (Thanks to all who helped me achieve this!)

moondance
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 188

#5 Post by moondance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:22 am

ladams888 wrote: The ending was predictable.
Saw this at Picturehouse Hackney. Enjoyed the film - it carried you along albeit with a few gory scenes. Thought the ending was a bit ambiguous actually - left you a bit up in the air as to perpetrator.

Unless of course I read too much into it!
Preferred cinemas:
Central London and North London as far north as the Hampstead Everyman including Picturehouse Hackney/Notting Hill Gate - but not Wood Green and North Finchley as they are just a bit too far.

RevKeith39
The Third Man
The Third Man

#6 Post by RevKeith39 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:14 pm

Really enjoyed this film. But my OH hated it. I am really interested in anything Victorian, music hall and Jack the Ripper so this was right up my street. Bill Nighy will get all the plaudits but Olivia Cooke is the real star. It is based on a postmodern novel by Peter Ackroyd and this is why the tone is so sly and knowing, playful and tongue in cheek. Real characters rub shoulders with fictional: though never mentioned Sherlock Holmes and the Ripper are ever present in the background. I scored it 9/10 but note that judging from my OH it may not suit everyone.
Member No. 31 of 100 free films club 2015. 27 seen 73 to go.

KatyCole

#7 Post by KatyCole » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 am

Watched this with my partner and we both really enjoyed it. Definitely a decent mystery-thriller in the style of Jack the Ripper (yes, I know it’s actually based on a novel, though).

Thought that Bill Nighy delivered a superb performance throughout. Can’t help but wonder what it would have been like with Alan Rickman, though.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#8 Post by alythonian » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Saw this in the pensioner packed Omni in Edinburgh tonight. I enjoyed this as it was well done and Bill Nighy was excellent. I had worked it out long before the end but that dudnt spoil it, it was nice to watch how it unfolded to get there. It was more like Sunday night TV drama but I suspect the budget caused that.
Something a bit different and all the better for that.

7/10
Alythonian

Rinaldo

#9 Post by Rinaldo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:31 pm

Rather interesting movie with a fantastical dark tone and moving plot. Characters were well developed although ending was rather confusing.

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#10 Post by fanADE » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:42 pm

extremely enjoyable.. saw this last sunday in Brighton.. .. the retelling and telling.. the interchange of play vs reality.. other subtle issues..... made this a very enjoyable film to watch... and the surprise twist...
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]