Public Enemies

Discuss movies (including free films)
a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Public Enemies

#1 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Public Enemies tells a timeless story of black, white and grey against a historical backdrop eerily similar to the troubled times in which we now live.

Public Enemies, helmed by acclaimed director Michael Mann, tells the story of the nascent FBI and legendary agent Melvin Purvis’ crusade against gangs of bankrobbers terrorizing the country during the Great Depression. Based on a book by Bryan Burroughs, the majority of Public Enemies’ action centers around the cat-and-mouse game between Purvis (Christian Bale) and legendary bankrobber John Dillinger (Johnny Depp).

Dillinger, a charming, charismatic figure had captivated public opinion by his daring raids against banks, made unpopular by the troubles the Great Depression financial crisis had heaped upon ordinary Americans. As Dillinger’s robberies and jail escapes became the stuff of legend, more gangsters join his band and other robbers crop up around the nation.

“Public Enemies” depicts how Purvis’ early attempts to catch Dillinger end in tragic failure, and how Purvis eventual adoption of morally gray methods lead to his eventual success, but also how these methods lead to his questioning of his role as a lawman.

Trailer:
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Re: Public Enemies

#2 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Not long to go now....

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)

innins

#3 Post by innins » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 pm

I think this gooing to be big hit reminds me of the untouchbles one of the best films i love . hope its going to be worth seeing

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2

#4 Post by a_person » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:22 pm

innins wrote:I think this gooing to be big hit reminds me of the untouchbles one of the best films i love . hope its going to be worth seeing
Yeh same here. I'm really looking forward to this months movies!!!!!

Preferred cinema list:

nath789
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#5 Post by nath789 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Christian Bale's character hardly makes an apperance in the trailers for this, hope the same cannot be said for the movie. I have high expectations for this film, and quite suprised its a tellten preview as didn't think it would need high numbers of word of mouth, anyway glad it is off to watch it at Manchester Printworks on monday.
Member No. 31 of the "100 free films in 2009" club. 29 seen/71 to go Frost/Nixon, Nick And Norah's Infinite Playlist, Changeling, Hotel For Dogs, Confessions of a Shopaholic, The Young Victoria, Slumdog Millionaire, Marley and Me, Knowing, The Boat That Rocked, I Love You Man, Fast & Furious, State of Play, The Uninvited, Anything For Her, Night At The Museum 2, Looking For Eric, Gigantic, The Hangover, Sunshine Cleaning, The Proposal, My Sisters Keeper, Public Enemies, Bruno, The Taking of Pelham 123, Inglourious Basterds, The Final Destination, The Soloist, Up

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

Public Enemies

#6 Post by AYBG » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:46 pm

To see a trailer or rate this film, please click here »

Michael Mann - back on form?

Many were disappointed with Miami Vice, and I'd put myself in that category, but only because all the muttering made it like watching a foreign film without subtitles. I have a feeling I'll be giving it another watch once I've seen Public Enemies - the exceptionally promising film draws comparisons to Mann's sublime Heat (no, not the magazine). The cast is top-notch - Depp and Bale are of such esteem that they can be mentioned in the same breath as Heat's De Niro and Pacino, while they are supported by Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose) and Billy Crudup, who broke through the limitations of mo-cap with an incredible performance in this this year's Watchmen (take that, Andy Serkis!)

The story focuses on John Dillinger, notorious bank robber and cult hero (in the vein of Jesse James and Robin Hood), and the creation of the FBI to capture him. I have high hopes for this one, so even if there aren't free screenings near you, it might actually be worth.....(gasp!).....p*ying to see!

Free screenings on Monday 29th June at
  • Birmingham
  • Braehead, Glasgow
  • Bristol
  • Cardiff Atlantic Wharf
  • Edinburgh Wester Hailes
  • Gateshead, Newcastle
  • Greenwich, London
  • Kingston upon Thames
  • Liverpool ONE
  • Manchester Printworks
Comment on this post in our forums
Top 50 Poster!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

#7 Post by AYBG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:25 am

We have an Empire review!!
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=136004

Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!
Top 50 Poster!

phunkygal
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 3002
Preferred Cinemas: Central London - Cineworld Haymarket/Shaftsbury Avenue Odeon Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Panton Street/Tottenham Court Road/Marble Arch, Vue West End/Islington Empire Leicester Square, Prince Charles Cinema, Apollo Piccadilly Circus, BFI

#8 Post by phunkygal » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:07 pm

How late to have a times screening assuming code goes live on saturday screening is next day!

please please let there be central london!

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA

#9 Post by AYBG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:09 pm

phunky I will love you so much - even more than I do already - if Southampton is on the list :D
Top 50 Poster!

priamia
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 455
Preferred Cinemas: All Central London: Check full list of cinemas in my interests
I have tickets for: Everybody's Fine/Lovely Bones, The Wolfman, Kick Ass,

#10 Post by priamia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm

AYBG wrote:phunky I will love you so much - even more than I do already - if Southampton is on the list :D
I will love you more than I already do too - if a central london location is on the list (or a location easy for me to get to) :kiss:
Preferred cinemas: All Central London: APOLLO Piccadilly, EMPIRE Leicester Sq; ODEONS: Leicester Sq/Covent Garden/West End/Whiteleys/Panton St; VUE: West End/Fulham/Islington, CINEWORLD: Haymarket/Shaftesbury Ave; Brixton Ritzy,
Then: Westfield, o2, Clapham