Away We Go

Discuss movies (including free films)
chrivic

Re: Away We Go

#31 Post by chrivic » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:58 pm

I enjoyed this one and could have stood another 30 minutes or so (unlike Funny People and Julie/Julia) 8.5/10. Good soundtrack too which I am just about to look up.

Cheers
Chris

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

#32 Post by EthanRunt » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Vue Romford were naughty, I got there barely in time for the 10am entrance to the screen, I'm OCD like that, but the film decided to show at that time, so we got the first 20 minutes, then they stopped, rewound, let more people in and began again, which isn't all bad, it's a good opening, Catherine O'Hara, Jeff Daniels, awesome peoples.

That said the film is oddly paced, it does dip at points, and Allison Janney was far too broad, in a case of drunken annoying mother that's true to life but not funny in the right way.

Still, I really enjoyed the film, it was very sweet and the darker stuff, an amateur pole dance night with a real crushing beat works well, and the two leads are fantastic. I only know Maya Rudolph from the few SNL skits I've seen, where Kristen Wiig, as she always does, outshone Maya, so it was a surprise to see a really subdued, wonderful and truthful performance from her, John Krasinski does that stuff well in The Office, but the real heart was effortless here, and the chemistry was wonderful.

It's definitely Mendes' anti-Revolutionary Road, the couple never yelling at each other unless it's for comic effect, and a dinner scene which seems similar to the dinner table scene in said film, which I really enjoyed.

Overall it's one of the better films of the year, and I wasn't sure what to expect so I'm glad it was an enjoyable experience that was easy to watch, and I think I may catch it again soon enough, bravo.

cheekyweelassie
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Empire Walthamstow, Odeon South Woodford, Odeon Lee Valley or weekday evenings at Millbank, central London

#33 Post by cheekyweelassie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:38 pm

I saw this at the Vue Shepherd's Bush this morning (thanks Phunkygal for the last-minute tickets). I'm glad I did get to see it after thinking I was going to miss out on this one. I actually really enjoyed it.
It felt like a very early time to be in the cinema on a Sunday morning, which was probably why there were a few empty seats, but it was the sort of easygoing, meandering, ultimately rather pointless film that was just right for the time of day.
I really liked the two lead characters. I thought they were a great, slightly odd, couple. Though not at all odd compared to most of the kooky people they had the misfortune to spend time with. Some of those peripheral characters seemed a bit overdone, although they did provide some good entertainment.
There were a few laugh-out-loud moments (yep, the stroller scene), and quite a few sentimental ones too. I found myself really feeling for them and wanting them to find a happy place to settle down. The final scenes were really lovely, and I left with a nice feeling.
I thought the soundtrack was excellent, and I enjoyed some of the clever used of editing to get the action to match particular lyrics.
I had a nice Sunday morning with this film, and I would give it 8/10.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#34 Post by Beate » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:35 pm

I must commend the Cineworld Chichester. They formed a proper queue for us, the cinema screen, although quite small, got nearly full, everyone behaved, no one shone their mobile phones about, and the film was well received. I'd go there again! And as I texted earlier, I really liked the film and the oddball characters, it was just the right mixture of humour tinged with sadness. The scenes where he would shout or try to scare her just to get the baby's heart rate up were hilarious! Would definitely recommend it.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

JazzyC

#35 Post by JazzyC » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:06 am

I enjoyed this one - it was one of those gentle films where not much really happens - but to me it did have plenty of laugh out loud moments - plus the right touch of sweetness and sadness too.

Could they have had any more freaky friends and family?

A good way to spend a Sunday morning - 8/10.

Verunka
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: London

#36 Post by Verunka » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 pm

I saw this movie on Sunday at the Vue O2 in Greenwich and really enjoyed it. I was looking forward to seeing John Krasinski in a 'proper' film and was not disappointed. The film tells a lovely story, it is funny as well as moving and I thought the pace was just fine. I actually preferred it to Revolutionary Road which I found very odd. If you like films about ordinary people, their lives and relationships and don't go to the cinema just for special effects and action scenes, then you'll enjoy this one. I'd give it 7/10.

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#37 Post by andrews » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Spanner and andrews were asked for ID at Boldon tonight! What's going on there? Followed in by BettyBoop and hubbie, who were not. A.Jobsworth had us all standing outside Screen 8 for 20 minutes before letting us in. We were just nicely settled when aforementioned Jobsworth came in and announced - most authoritatively - that there had been a mistake, and the screening was to take place in Screen 9 - cue mass exodus/orderly stampede.
We took great amusement in watching the projectionist handling the film before the film finally began.
Now let's be honest here:this film isn't going to win any Oscars, is it? It was a gentle film, with a few 'moments', and several dysfunctional married couples - hardly an advertisement for married life. However, I thought that the couple went on a journey to find something they already had - a deep love for each other. Ah, sweet.

6/10 from me.
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Maybeelady

#38 Post by Maybeelady » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Saw this at Convent Garden Odeon - another weirdly angled screen! People coming in throughout the film and a bloody annoying guy next to us taking calls throughout the film!!!

A really lovely paced, gentle, humorous film with a great soundtrack - I really wanted to see this one and wasn't disappointed.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#39 Post by a_person » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Maybeelady wrote:Saw this at Convent Garden Odeon - another weirdly angled screen! People coming in throughout the film and a bloody annoying guy next to us taking calls throughout the film!!!

A really lovely paced, gentle, humorous film with a great soundtrack - I really wanted to see this one and wasn't disappointed.
I really wish people could be abit more considerate when they do this.... just because it's a free preview doesn't give people the right to start talking. The point is to enjoy the film! Not listen to someone talk on the phone!
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#40 Post by alythonian » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:18 pm

I saw this in Edinburgh. Only 50% full.

It was very dull and sooooooo slow. I couldn't believe it was only 1.5 hours long; it felt much, much longer.

It had some good ideas but some very strange ones like how they never twigged it was people rather than places that was drawing them in?! I just didn't get it. i didn't thin the leads gelled at all.

3/10 sorry!
Alythonian