The Shape of Water

Discuss movies (including free films)
Message
Author
User avatar
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Posts: 2916
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:55 am
Old post count: 0

The Shape of Water

#1 Post by kevinknapman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Guillermo del Toro returns with a gorgeous romantic fantasy that marries golden age Hollywood escapism with a Cold War B-movie creature feature which results in a wonderfully strange, endlessly dazzling and decidedly adult fairytale.

Eliza is a mute musical loving cleaner who works in top secret government laboratory.
One day an asset is b*ght to the lab.
Eliza, fascinated by this curious arrival, discovers that it is scaly amphibious merman.
Bringing him food and playing him music, she forms a bond with the creature.

The Shape of the Water is the work of an eccentric and imaginitive filmmaker given free rein to realise his vision. Del Toro grabs this opportunity and runs with it, creating a film that tackles various genres without ever losing sight of the beating heart at its centre.

Key to helping him achieve this is Sally Hawkins who gives a career best, heart-breaking performance as Eliza. Wonderfully expressive without saying a word.
Excellent support too from del Toro regular Doug Jones as the amphibian man, Richard Jenkins as Eliza's closeted neighbour longing for emotional and artistic acceptance, Octavia Spencer as her talkative friend and colleague, Michael Shannon as a monstrous government agent intent on keeping control of his 'asset' and Michael Stuhlbarg as a scientist who oversees the creature.

Fair warning though, Del Toro doesn't shy away from some of the more violent elements of the story either.
This is a wild creature in captivity after all. So expect some blood too.

The film is beautifully shot and impeccably designed with a sumptuous score from Alexandre Desplat.
All of this combines to create a unique and unmissable genre film and that rarest of things, a bold and adventurous studio picture that deserves to find the biggest audience it can.
Plus if you've ever wondered what it would like if the Creature of the Black Lagoon stepped on to the set of a Busby Berkeley musical, this is the film for you.
Don't miss it.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 4678
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm
Old post count: 0
Location: Edinburgh

Re: The Shape of Water

#2 Post by stuartboy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:28 pm

What Kevin said....

What a film to see without knowing a single thing (including it's title!) in advance. A true surprise.

A joy.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen


Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)


Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2
Posts: 6796
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: The Shape of Water

#3 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 am

kevinknapman wrote:Guillermo del Toro returns with a gorgeous romantic fantasy that marries golden age Hollywood escapism with a Cold War B-movie creature feature which results in a wonderfully strange, endlessly dazzling and decidedly adult fairytale.

Eliza is a mute musical loving cleaner who works in top secret government laboratory.
One day an asset is b*ght to the lab.
Eliza, fascinated by this curious arrival, discovers that it is scaly amphibious merman.
Bringing him food and playing him music, she forms a bond with the creature.

The Shape of the Water is the work of an eccentric and imaginitive filmmaker given free rein to realise his vision. Del Toro grabs this opportunity and runs with it, creating a film that tackles various genres without ever losing sight of the beating heart at its centre.

Key to helping him achieve this is Sally Hawkins who gives a career best, heart-breaking performance as Eliza. Wonderfully expressive without saying a word.
Excellent support too from del Toro regular Doug Jones as the amphibian man, Richard Jenkins as Eliza's closeted neighbour longing for emotional and artistic acceptance, Octavia Spencer as her talkative friend and colleague, Michael Shannon as a monstrous government agent intent on keeping control of his 'asset' and Michael Stuhlbarg as a scientist who oversees the creature.

Fair warning though, Del Toro doesn't shy away from some of the more violent elements of the story either.
This is a wild creature in captivity after all. So expect some blood too.

The film is beautifully shot and impeccably designed with a sumptuous score from Alexandre Desplat.
All of this combines to create a unique and unmissable genre film and that rarest of things, a bold and adventurous studio picture that deserves to find the biggest audience it can.
Plus if you've ever wondered what it would like if the Creature of the Black Lagoon stepped on to the set of a Busby Berkeley musical, this is the film for you.
Don't miss it.
I'm guessing because if the time you posted this, you decided to see The Commuter?
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

User avatar
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Posts: 2916
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:55 am
Old post count: 0

Re: The Shape of Water

#4 Post by kevinknapman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:25 am

The Sparrow wrote:
kevinknapman wrote: I'm guessing because if the time you posted this, you decided to see The Commuter?
Yes. I probably should have gone to see this again.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2
Posts: 6796
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: The Shape of Water

#5 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 am

kevinknapman wrote:
The Sparrow wrote:
kevinknapman wrote: I'm guessing because if the time you posted this, you decided to see The Commuter?
Yes. I probably should have gone to see this again.
Oops. Never mind, it's behind you now
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

User avatar
newdot
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:21 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: The Shape of Water

#6 Post by newdot » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Good, but inter-species sex not my cup of tea and this repulsion stopped a deal of empathy i might other wise have felt for the characters. also, dance scene made me cringe with embarrassment for all involved. Creature was more a cod than a god as far as i could see.

7/10

ps thinking back on this film, i realize that i enjoyed every scene without the creature & none of those with it.

elixir01
Air Force One
Air Force One
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 am
Old post count: 0

Re: The Shape of Water

#7 Post by elixir01 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 am

Managed to avoid reading anything about this film/watching the trailer prior to watching, and absolutely loved watching this film unfold. The score and set design were both memorising. Great supporting cast, and I thought Sally Hawkins was fantastic. Can't wait to see how the Oscars goes down. 8/10

User avatar
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Posts: 9919
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:37 pm
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.
Location: London

Re: The Shape of Water

#8 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Went to a Den of Geek private screening last night at 20th Century Fox offices. The film is outstanding, especially Sally Hawkins' performance, the supporting cast, visuals, the low-key score & romance. A beautiful and stunning adult fairytale. It is just magical! 9/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen


fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:45 pm
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

Re: The Shape of Water

#9 Post by fanADE » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 pm

I saw this last night.... and i thoroughly enjoyed it. As the first reviewer said... set in the age of paranoia and the consumerist culture .. side by side with the growth of american youth culture. The characters were slightly one dimensional apart from Eliza.. Enjoyable film 7/10
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Posts: 189
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:43 am
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester
Location: London

Re: The Shape of Water

#10 Post by RandomHajile » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 pm

saw this yesterday, big fan of del toro but this felt rubbish to me, whole cast seamed to be playing to their typical typecasting, gratuitous nudity, too long blah blah

hes done better movies and this is the one hes gonna win with :(

2/10 only cos it looked kinda good (still too much teal an orange tho)

Post Reply