Lady Bird

Discuss movies (including free films)
D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Re: Lady Bird

#11 Post by D-Fens » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 pm

I placed a lot of expectation on this. Probably too much because movies over the last few months aren't just dropped on your doorstop and left for you to care about them, they come having "wowed audiences" and picked up awards for their performance.

And I like the people involved in it's creation, I like the genre, it looked like it had a style I usually get along with.

But for the most part I was disappointed. It just didn't connect like I expected it would and was just doing the same things everybody else did. It was maybe even worse than it's peers although I wouldn't say that aloud now.

Because somehow it really got it's act together around 20-25 from the end. It just clicked and I could identify with the relationships on screen, I knew what it felt like to pretend to be less poor, I remembered the strange moment between being young and having to grow up and just walking around quiet neighbourhoods trying to make sense of it all.

So I came out of the cinema with that good movie feeling of at least having felt something I could relate to. It wasn't loud or showy but I'm glad that I stuck with it and unlike everything else with a less intelligent design I haven't just forgotten about it as time's moved on.

mazzaholmes
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0

Re: Lady Bird

#12 Post by mazzaholmes » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:11 pm

I only went to see this because of the oscar buzz, and I was not disappointed!

Fantastic performances from all cast members. The mother-daughter relationship was played with humour and emotion which made me love them one moment and hate them another.

I was expecting the story to be dragged out but this was not the case. Fantastic screenplay.
Shearer4