Black Panther

Discuss movies (including free films)
D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Re: Black Panther

#11 Post by D-Fens » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:45 pm

It's the rinky-dink panther. It's not even a good Marvel movie, I should have trusted my instincts rather than Internet headlines.

It's African heritage doesn't feel authentic, there was potential for something one and only truly original about these particular characters place in the world but for the most part they shy away from anything too culturally relevant unless Michael B. Jordan needs a couple of lines to justify whatever he's currently doing.

Andy Serkis plays another bad guy from a Gerald Scarfe drawing rather than the same movie. There's an action scene that's geared towards a car chase, all of the foreshadowed tech is relevant to chasing cars, other skills are adapted for use with moving cars, Chadwick Boseman's whole thing in another movie was acrobatically chasing down cars. Ten minutes later an important car turns a corner in another action scene and they just let it go. Two thirds of the movie are about setting up potentially interesting storylines and then just letting them go.

Well here he is, Daniel Kaluuya with a weird smirk that can only suggest he's read the rest of the script. Letitia Wright is great but doesn't even get the service of a storyline that suggests she was being held back. Martin Freeman keeps speaking in a funny voice. When a human or suit turns into CGI and starts moving elastically across the screen it immediately pulls me out of the action.

Will there be a single viewer, child or scholar who believes
Spoiler
Show
the outcome of the second waterfall scene
it's as plain as your nose what's happening yet somehow this is all being sold as a worthy movie and not just another superhero B-movie, THINK!

Bruh

#12 Post by Bruh » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Not my favourite Marvel film but it was a lot of fun, the cast were great (especially Andy Serkis, he was hilarious!) and Wakanda looked amazing. A great, smaller, self-contained story to get us to grips with T'Challa and his kingdom before the huge celebration of Infinity War.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#13 Post by raj101 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm

better seconds time round, though the villain remains underwhelming, plus its not easy to root for "royalty". Letitia Wright was the best thing there, she owns this movie, and surely one of the most gorgeous chix on the planet.

Still couldda been tighter though, there was more potential there as I said last time. Its perfectly possible I am just pining for A:IW .
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#14 Post by tonethestone » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:57 am

Managed to revisit this as i found it dull the first time, and keep seeing such positive reviews, but second time around and it's massively overrated imo. I am not a huge Marvel fan, i thought Infinity War was pretty average, but this one i truly don't understand the hype at all, not sure its all entirely to do with the actual quality of the film.

Another mediocre at best Marvel film churned out. 2/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2