Red Sparrow

Discuss movies (including free films)
Message
Author
elixir01
Air Force One
Air Force One
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 8:40 am
Old post count: 0

Red Sparrow

#1 Post by elixir01 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Loved this film! Despite a fairly lengthy run time, I sat back and enjoyed found myself really engaged with the film. Not for everyone (as early reviews are suggesting), but for me it was 8/10.

Florence1
Phase IV
Phase IV
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:22 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: Red Sparrow

#2 Post by Florence1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes I really enjoyed this. Lots of twists and turns, was totally absorbed. Be warned there are episodes of torture which were difficult to watch. Well acted and didn't notice that it was particularly long. Can recommend. 8/10

User avatar
alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:15 pm
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Red Sparrow

#3 Post by alythonian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:25 pm

I though this was a big pile of poo to be abso,utely honest. To hocum Russian accents, more Brits and Irish playing Russians, an Australian playing the American. Dr Rick Griffin from Holby as a big cheese in the CIA?!
I really thought it was poorly executed, poorly told and fairly badly acted in part. It was also way too long. The editor did a poor job.
The Aldi version of a Tinker Tailor or Bridge of Spies!

A paltry 4/10 from me.

And that doesn't take into account how unpleasant the people in the Edinburgh screening were about not keeping seats for their friends/coats, etc. Those Times screenings really bring out the worst in Edinburgh atendees.
Alythonian

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 4678
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm
Old post count: 0
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Red Sparrow

#4 Post by stuartboy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 pm

alythonian wrote:I though this was a big pile of poo to be abso,utely honest. To hocum Russian accents, more Brits and Irish playing Russians, an Australian playing the American. Dr Rick Griffin from Holby as a big cheese in the CIA?!
I really thought it was poorly executed, poorly told and fairly badly acted in part. It was also way too long. The editor did a poor job.
The Aldi version of a Tinker Tailor or Bridge of Spies!

A paltry 4/10 from me.

And that doesn't take into account how unpleasant the people in the Edinburgh screening were about not keeping seats for their friends/coats, etc. Those Times screenings really bring out the worst in Edinburgh atendees.
So that's why they wouldn't let me in? Fully booked.
I win anyway as I get 2 vouchers instead.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen


Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)


Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

User avatar
steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Posts: 7031
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:43 pm
Old post count: 456
Location: Leeds - 456 posts on old site

Re: Red Sparrow

#5 Post by steve9872 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:37 pm

My biggest gripe is that JL's expression was the same throughout the movie and it took me until I was home to realise that. The story was good, she was awful.
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

User avatar
RevKeith39
The Third Man
The Third Man
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:34 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: Red Sparrow

#6 Post by RevKeith39 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:07 pm

A sexy thriller that was neither sexy nor thrilling. JL, what were you thinking of when they offered this part to you? In the present climate of Weinstein et al sexploitation is not the way to go. The plot was riddled with gaping holes and dire accents abounded. By the end, poor Jeremy Irons had simply forgotten he was supposed to be Russian at all. A real turkey!
Member No. 31 of 100 free films club 2015. 27 seen 73 to go.

User avatar
alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 2382
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:15 pm
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Red Sparrow

#7 Post by alythonian » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:13 pm

stuartboy wrote:
alythonian wrote:I though this was a big pile of poo to be abso,utely honest. To hocum Russian accents, more Brits and Irish playing Russians, an Australian playing the American. Dr Rick Griffin from Holby as a big cheese in the CIA?!
I really thought it was poorly executed, poorly told and fairly badly acted in part. It was also way too long. The editor did a poor job.
The Aldi version of a Tinker Tailor or Bridge of Spies!

A paltry 4/10 from me.

And that doesn't take into account how unpleasant the people in the Edinburgh screening were about not keeping seats for their friends/coats, etc. Those Times screenings really bring out the worst in Edinburgh atendees.
So that's why they wouldn't let me in? Fully booked.
I win anyway as I get 2 vouchers instead.
You win 500%! It was dire as were the Times subscribers in Edinburgh. Very much all fur coats and naw knickers!!
Alythonian

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 4678
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm
Old post count: 0
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Red Sparrow

#8 Post by stuartboy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:30 pm

Hope you at least had your fur coat on!

This took me a long time to work out who was who what with the seemingly random accents. Regards twists I might have micro slept a little and missed some of these. Didn't seem to matter as it hardly affected the story. Oh - and the hair colour change probably didn't help either.
Several rather unnecessary full frontals and winkies on the loose.
Some of the torture scenes ought to have been far more crippling I would have thought.

I didn't hate it, but really couldn't be bothered watching it again in the next few lifetimes.

I'll give it a mediocre 5/10.
Nice warm cinema on such a snowy night when everything else was closed was a bonus.

Oh - and impeccably behaved Sun readers too!
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen


Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)


Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

User avatar
D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: Red Sparrow

#9 Post by D-Fens » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 pm

alythonian wrote:Very much all fur coats and naw knickers!!
Russian spies? I guess they have to retire somewhere.

...Fifty Shades of Red Sparrow, one facial expression :|

I lost the plot and I think that was in some part due to having no empathy with the Sparrow (who knew!?) because none was offered. in typical spy fashion, motivations become muddy in the middle. The start was clear and brutal, the destination was surprising and clever but if you're just a confused passenger along the way then it feels like the journey had no purpose. Old Russian proverb.

User avatar
yogi
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 2054
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:14 pm
Old post count: 0
Location: Manchester

Re: Red Sparrow

#10 Post by yogi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 am

D-Fens wrote:
alythonian wrote:Very much all fur coats and naw knickers!!
Russian spies? I guess they have to retire somewhere.

...Fifty Shades of Red Sparrow, one facial expression :|

I lost the plot and I think that was in some part due to having no empathy with the Sparrow (who knew!?) because none was offered. in typical spy fashion, motivations become muddy in the middle. The start was clear and brutal, the destination was surprising and clever but if you're just a confused passenger along the way then it feels like the journey had no purpose. Old Russian proverb.
Naw knickers indeed, lots and lots of nudity, ironic as the film was a bit pants.

I won't be Russian to see this again. 4/10
Member No. 35 of the "100 free films in 2020" club! 5 down 95 to go
(My realistic personal target is to beat 2013's record 91)



2020: Little Women, Richard Jewell 8/5/10
2019: Wild Rose, Shazam!, Avengers, Eighth Grade, Shaun the Sheep, The Farewell 9/10
2018: Coco, Three Billboards, Missouri, Avengers, MI: Fallout, Quiet Place, Stan & Ollie - 9/10
2017: Paddington 2 10/10
2016: Sing Street, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I, Daniel Blake, Sully 10/10
2015: Star Wars, Whiplash, Ex Machina, Minions - 9.5/10
2014: Pride, The Imitation Game 10/10
2013: Good Vibrations, Song for Marion, Alan Partridge, Captain Phillips - 9.5/10
2012: Muppets, Untouchable, Argo 10/10
2011: ROTPOTA, The Artist, Mi4 - 9.5/10
2010: Kick Ass, Toy Story 3 - 9.5/10
2009: Up 10/10


LOVE FMUK https://youtu.be/62YY4trpDEY

Post Reply