The Children Act

Discuss movies (including free films)
mazzaholmes
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0

The Children Act

#1 Post by mazzaholmes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Although I got to see this film free via the Sky App, I would have pa*d to watch it because of the stella cast.

And I was not disappointed!!!

A thought-provoking story based on the decision a boy's parents to allow him to have live-saving treatment, which is against their religious beliefs.

The performances by all were absolutely fantastic, with lots of humorous moments providing a lift from the heart-breaking topic. A twist near the end made me both shocked and empathetic for the characters involved.

A must-see for all ages - Enjoy1
Shearer4

RevKeith39
The Third Man
The Third Man

Re: The Children Act

#2 Post by RevKeith39 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 pm

Enjoyed the film and agree on performances being excellent. However, I felt that more exposition was required to allow us to know more about the characters. Stanley Tucci’s role in particular was badly underwritten, with the result that he became something of a cipher. The boy at the centre became a distraction as I wanted to examine more about the marriage and less about the religious aspect (some of the symbolism was a a bit creaky and obvious). It was doubly interesting to read reviews of the original novel on Amazon to learn that many of my misgivings about plot and characterisation were there from the outset, though thankfully Adam’s violin in the book became a guitar in the film; slightly more believable.
Member No. 31 of 100 free films club 2015. 27 seen 73 to go.

Bluebell
Air Force One
Air Force One

Re: The Children Act

#3 Post by Bluebell » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Emma Thompson is superb in the role of a high court judge who has to make a number of ethical and complex decisions. Her commitment and dedication to her work brings her marriage to breaking point. Thompson brings wisdom and compassion to the role. An enjoyable and thought provoking film which I would definitely recommend.

9/10