First Man

Discuss movies (including free films)
fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Re: First Man

#11 Post by fraz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:41 pm

D-Fens wrote:I realise it was authentically staged but there's only so many tiny, spinning cockpits you can sit in before you also want to eject, it must be an ordeal in IMAX?
Made that mistake with Dunkirk. Far too much spinning around in planes and swaying on boats for my stomach to handle!

Thought this was alright but agree it was over long. Nice to get more insight into the testing and human sacrifices that led to this mission. People don't generally know the names of the men who died to get Armstrong to the Moon. Was bored at points too and willing the Apollo mission to get going. 6/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#12 Post by tonethestone » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:22 pm

D-Fens wrote:People here aren't being critical because some films are universally praised, when you have no personal investment in something it's easier to offer a grounded opinion. Whiplash and La La Land have mass appeal whereas this is clearly a more earnest, ambitious, technical movie. The press have an interest in continually supporting Chazelle because his track record makes for a better article and unless something really goes wrong nobody is going to make the leap and go against the grain.

I thought the time flew and I grew to really like the story. I realise it was authentically staged but there's only so many tiny, spinning cockpits you can sit in before you also want to eject, it must be an ordeal in IMAX? Armstrong had the training to know what the dials or view from a skewed window meant but the audience was mostly kept in the dark so I don't begrudge that some will miss the mark and not want to step in his shoes.

Oh I'm not saying people are purposely criticising universally praised films, just tends to work out that way on here, people on here tend to rave about films like Fast & Furious which are considered across the masses as naff.

Seeing First Man yet again next week, cant wait.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#13 Post by D-Fens » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm

LiteupLee wrote:Not sure Neil Armstrong is a good candidate for such a long movie as I found him completely devoid of a personality.
Spoiler
Show
This is the whole point of the movie. Armstrong had a reputation for being boring and distant. We see his daughter die and he's asked at the very start of the process "will it affect you" and he replies "I imagine it would". He only gets through the whole experience because he's detached, he's basically given up so the inherent danger and his calmness wouldn't be the same for anyone else. This is revealed by what he does when he reached the Moon which underlines that the entire focus of the story is how somebody was capable of that feat not what actually happened or whether they were a good guy.
tonethestone wrote:Oh I'm not saying people are purposely criticising universally praised films, just tends to work out that way on here, people on here tend to rave about films like Fast & Furious which are considered across the masses as naff.
It's critics who consider those movies naff? The masses wouldn't have handed over 1.2bn if they didn't like it. I think what actually happens here is people praise movies that are true to their intentions/expectations? The 8th Fast & Furious movie was always going to be a big dumb action thing and it was appreciated here as that but First Man might have been the story of how we got to the Moon so when it was actually a character study and not a tense rollercoaster that divides opinion?

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#14 Post by tonethestone » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:28 pm

D-Fens wrote:
LiteupLee wrote:Not sure Neil Armstrong is a good candidate for such a long movie as I found him completely devoid of a personality.
Spoiler
Show
This is the whole point of the movie. Armstrong had a reputation for being boring and distant. We see his daughter die and he's asked at the very start of the process "will it affect you" and he replies "I imagine it would". He only gets through the whole experience because he's detached, he's basically given up so the inherent danger and his calmness wouldn't be the same for anyone else. This is revealed by what he does when he reached the Moon which underlines that the entire focus of the story is how somebody was capable of that feat not what actually happened or whether they were a good guy.
tonethestone wrote:Oh I'm not saying people are purposely criticising universally praised films, just tends to work out that way on here, people on here tend to rave about films like Fast & Furious which are considered across the masses as naff.
It's critics who consider those movies naff? The masses wouldn't have handed over 1.2bn if they didn't like it. I think what actually happens here is people praise movies that are true to their intentions/expectations? The 8th Fast & Furious movie was always going to be a big dumb action thing and it was appreciated here as that but First Man might have been the story of how we got to the Moon so when it was actually a character study and not a tense rollercoaster that divides opinion?
See what you’re saying but Avatar made a fortune and masses think that’s naff.
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8

Tenet
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#15 Post by RandomHajile » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Just saw it a 2nd time, that laser imax screen was calling me.

Stunning, best use of a imax camera for sure.

And it was in real imax (1.44 ratio)

not that fake 1.90 ratio that all modern digital cinemas can infact show...

cheekyweelassie
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Empire Walthamstow, Odeon South Woodford, Odeon Lee Valley or weekday evenings at Millbank, central London

#16 Post by cheekyweelassie » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:48 pm

I saw it on IMAX with a voucher and was blown away. The space sequences and training ordeals were astonishing. I loved the fact that it was a character study about someone who was fiercely private and buttoned-up. I know a lot about the Gemini/Apollo space programme already so I didn't need another film about how mankind got to the moon, but I was fascinated by how this one man got to the moon, and maybe why. There were things that I didn't know about Neil Armstrong that perhaps explain his character and I really enjoyed exploring that in the film. I thought the ending was sad and surprisingly uneventful. I would happily watch it again (I had the option of watching it in 4DX but I think I might have been sick at lift-off!)

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#17 Post by tonethestone » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:08 pm

Another viewing and wow so good, joint fave film of the year along with MI Fallout.
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8

Tenet
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

#18 Post by helenecolin » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Went to see it last night, and I have to admit I really liked it.

It was a bit long at certain point to be honest, and I could feel from time to time that the story was kind of dragging... but in the end it was a nice overview of everything that led to the success of Apollo 11. Though how much is reality and how much is fiction, I'm still unsure, but it certainly gave me an interest!

Batman66
Air Force One
Air Force One

#19 Post by Batman66 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:07 pm

A truly marvellous film, well worth a second viewing on as big a screen as possible.

JonnyBoy555

#20 Post by JonnyBoy555 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:58 pm

The sound design in the film is great. The thing that's stayed with me since I saw it was the sound of the ship spinning out of control.