Discuss movies (including free films)
McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

Re: A Star is Born

#21 Post by McG » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:35 pm

I had a 2nd viewing of this today and enjoyed it even more than the first time ... and just arranged a 3rd viewing for Saturday. Really looking forward to it. :D
Marks 9/10 after 2nd viewing . . .up from 8/10.
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#22 Post by raj101 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 pm

So I did try it again, and we had a bizarre 2nd viewing, being told our screening was "in screen 9, bro". Sat down in an empty screen 9. What was going on? Usually full of middle aged oldies by now.... Screen title came up as "The Dawn Wall". What on earth? Quelle surprise! OMG. Suddenly a legion of youths churn into the cinema (typically very late) and fill up until the place till its chockablock with muscles.

Turns out it was a good movie documentary, so I stayed, not that I had much choice, I was packed in like a sardine. Weird thing was "Dawn Wall" wasnt even listed on the Odeon website.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

scooby
Air Force One
Air Force One

#23 Post by scooby » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:40 am

I think you ended up in the climbing film festival

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#24 Post by raj101 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am

scooby wrote:I think you ended up in the climbing film festival
i concur, thanks Scoob. If only the staff had been on the balll, I guess they had a busy night. Have a scoobi snack.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#25 Post by D-Fens » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 pm

alythonian wrote:That was what the Grammy was for one assumes?
When she starts singing "I look good in these jeans" or whatever I thought this is bad, is it supposed to be bad? Then Cooper pretty much says the same thing.

So when
Spoiler
Show
she changes her image and embraces the backing dancers after being reluctant at first that's not supposed to be a good thing? Regardless of whether she's awarded for it by the industry.

That's what I don't get about the ending, Cooper is the authentic one, he won't embrace technology even to the detriment of his health so when his star falls that's a bad thing and the point of the movie? We're not supposed to be happy that Gaga gets to sing her version of Candle in the Wind to further her career even more, that would be a really weird message?

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#26 Post by tonethestone » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:59 pm

D-Fens wrote:
alythonian wrote:That was what the Grammy was for one assumes?
When she starts singing "I look good in these jeans" or whatever I thought this is bad, is it supposed to be bad? Then Cooper pretty much says the same thing.

So when
Spoiler
Show
she changes her image and embraces the backing dancers after being reluctant at first that's not supposed to be a good thing? Regardless of whether she's awarded for it by the industry.

That's what I don't get about the ending, Cooper is the authentic one, he won't embrace technology even to the detriment of his health so when his star falls that's a bad thing and the point of the movie? We're not supposed to be happy that Gaga gets to sing her version of Candle in the Wind to further her career even more, that would be a really weird message?

Is a strange message, but i liked the realism, i mean honestly how many people would choose to say "no thanks, i don't want the 50 million I'm going to get because i have to wear make up and a wig". Nope. Very glad they didn't go all Hollywood ending and have her throw a hissy fit, slap the English guy and throw away her career, that would have ruined a great film./
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#27 Post by D-Fens » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:38 pm

I don't have a problem that it happened, it was realistic and I wondered how much was based on Gaga or how it related to her journey but
Spoiler
Show
she did have a hissy fit? She made the ultimatum that he had to come on tour and when they were lying in bed later she said it was cancelled because the single was doing so well she was going to stay at home. He was on his way to her latest performance but found some drugs and relapsed so that's what did him in rather than the business? But the movie doesn't exist to say drugs are bad and it doesn't place any blame or make it clear it's a biopic so it just seems to lack any kind of punch.

Bullfrog

#28 Post by Bullfrog » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:44 pm

I really enjoyed this film, didn't think I would , even shed a couple of tears! Very unlike me.

Olliesheen
Air Force One
Air Force One

#29 Post by Olliesheen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:09 am

I went with my daughter to see this, we both really enjoyed it and she is someone who can not usually sit through films, even though the lyrics were corny I really enjoyed the music and it was a great directorial debut of Bradley.

mazzaholmes
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#30 Post by mazzaholmes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I am not a fan of Lady Gaga but love this story so I thought I'd give it a go!

And WOW - I'm glad I did! Lady Gaga was amazing in her natural beauty and overwhelming talent as a singer and actress. This film has completely changed my opinion of her.

I've always liked Bradley Cooper so his stella performance was no surprise to me.

This is the 4th time this film has been made and this story is a relevant today as it was in 1937.

I just hope it gets the Oscar recognition it deserves.
Shearer4